• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

That is strange then, as it must have only had std dampers on it all of its life :unsure: Ps, get out and drive it rallly

#102 NeNeSs

NeNeSs

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

...get out and drive it rallly

:D :D You're right but ... I'm too meticulous with this rare car, and it's not my daily. :P

That is strange then, as it must have only had std dampers on it all of its life :unsure:

I must check if the bump stop is in good status :blush:

Edited by NeNeSs, 26 March 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#103 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Went to GAZ and sorted the bumpstop sizing, and spring rates stuff... From full droop to wishbone contacting the chassis (on Robs car that is) its 17" at droop and 12 3/4" touching, so 4 1/4 " of "travel" although of course sitting the car down takes up some of that travel. To get the wishbone to touch the chassis its a fooking HUGE distance to push it when you look at it from wheel into arch lol. So fatter bumpstops were fitted and also +100lbs on the springs at the rear to 475lbs on Robs car. Plus the all new spangly lock rings rather than a single spring platform + grub screw. Rob and I went for a brief spin and the 325 up front and 475 rears seems to be a really sweet spot on his. I've got a set of 375's to fit to the front of mine to try. chinky chinky Imnotworthy @ GAZ customer service!!!!! I want golds now lmao, although could wait for the monos as and when :D I have a theory about the wishbone dinking (It might be utter bull sheets but hey its a theory) Under acceleration the back drops down slowly (compared to a dip in the road), which the dampers arent really preventing since it would make normal ride nasty. So there is little resistance to stop the car sinking as low as it wants (bar the spring and bump stop of course). This means that prehaps keen launching/big surges of torque (and even very long sweeping bends) could be the "cause" of the problem. When I say cause I mean contributry factor. So a fatter bump stop, stiffer spring, stiffened low speed damping (maybe thats why VIX hasnt seen this issue with his softly sprung car as the 3ways might have stiff low speed damping) will remedy the issue of chassis contact. Or of course less agessive starts/less power lmao. All IMHO of course.

Edited by slindborg, 31 March 2009 - 01:44 PM.

#104 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Rob and I went for a brief spin and the 325 up front and 475 rears seems to be a really sweet spot on his. I've got a set of 375's to fit to the front of mine to try.
chinky chinky Imnotworthy @ GAZ customer service!!!!!

:yeahthat: Especially the Gaz customer service part. Top stuff! And having 475 rears intstead of 375 has literally trasformed the car! So much better!

Overall, very pleased :)

#105 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Having spoken to Nitron on a different matter and got on to this subject, they reckon even the OEM spings/shocks allow the rear upper wishbones to foul and can't understand how Lotus didn't spot it. Not hugely clever! Like you say, top job by the Gaz post-sales people. thumbsup

#106 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

warren has got to be one of them rare people who will truely bend over backwards for you, i was very pleased with the communication i had from him. just my 2p on the spring rates. 325F - 475R is what i had and i liked it, now i have 375F - 475R and i think im going to change back, or get stiffer rear springs.

#107 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

warren has got to be one of them rare people who will truely bend over backwards for you, i was very pleased with the communication i had from him.

just my 2p on the spring rates.

325F - 475R is what i had and i liked it, now i have 375F - 475R and i think im going to change back, or get stiffer rear springs.

have to ask again lol... did you wind the damping down a touch on the front dampers to suit the stiffer springs?

#108 Retset

Retset

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

325F - 475R is what i had and i liked it, now i have 375F - 475R and i think im going to change back, or get stiffer rear springs.

I now have a 150lb split front to rear and it works well so can appreciate why you want to go back. You want about 525 on the rear I reckon. Don't reduce the front back to 325 because the Gaz work best with stiff springs and relatively soft damper settings.

#109 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

slindborg - i dont know, phoenix fit them this time, ive not had them off to look. retset - i agree with you 100% but atm i dont have £40 for some new springs.

#110 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

slindborg - i dont know, phoenix fit them this time, ive not had them off to look.

retset - i agree with you 100% but atm i dont have £40 for some new springs.

wind the adjuster dial all the way to the - direction, then turn them the other way about 10-13 clicks. Then they "should" feel ok... if you dont like that then have a tweek of the dial.

Far cheaper (free) than paying to get the springs swapped back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users