Photo

Headlamp Blanking Plugs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Anyone got a scrap headlamp with the large rubber grommets in? Before you throw it away, sell me your grommets!

They are the ones behind the bulbs, and underneath, as shown on this picture:
Posted Image

Thanks,

Phil

#2 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

Anyone got a scrap headlamp with the large rubber grommets in? Before you throw it away, sell me your grommets!

They are the ones behind the bulbs, and underneath, as shown on this picture:
Posted Image

Thanks,

Phil

Might be able to get some made up. Looked at it as I need some but turns out to be a couple of quid each (near a fiver!). You interested if I manage to get some done? Can you remind me of the ID.

#3 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

Large grommet inside diameter is 45mm/1.75" Small grommet inside diameter is 16mm The only place I could find that stocked them wanted £1.87 each, and a minimum order of £30. For a few pounds more I could get the rubber moulding kit from Frosts... I'm certainly interested in some - I'm after 3 large ones, the smaller ones are easy enough to get hold of. Thanks chinky chinky Phil

#4 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:07 AM

I could do with one if you find any / buy in bulk thumbsup

#5 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

I could do with one if you find any / buy in bulk thumbsup

Ditto...

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

Bah! Asked and was let down. Need a min run of 100! Surely if we get a group buy going at 1.87 we could soon hit a 30 quid min order? Anyway, who'd throw away a headlamp? At 1244 quid new from a dealer surely everyone is fixing them now?

#7 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

Ok then, the only grommet I can get for that size is a blind/blanking grommet. They are out of stock of the semi-blind (minimum order of 2000 - group buy anyone :o ) I am getting a sample delivered, should be here Friday/Saturday. If it fits ok I'll order say 12 (I need some of the smaller ones too so might aswell get them to bump the order up to £30. If it doesn't fit then I might invest in the rubber moulding kit from Frosts Restoration website and make some up, or I could just stick a piece of Gaffa tape over the hole :D Didn't realise headlights were now £1244 new - is that for a pair or each :o Phil

Edited by pjohn151, 06 May 2009 - 05:38 PM.

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

Its 1244 each and they can only get late spec tubby lamps. There are very limited numbers left in the dealer system and the makers have gone bust (I tried to get one on the sly). 48 quid of that is for the foam seal round the sides and 70 odd for the metal mounting plate. The lamps, like so much on this car, are really poor quality construction that really doesnt justify the price. 124.40 should be about right!!

#9 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

Hmmm, just looked at the parts manual for the headlights:

Posted Image

Never knew about the seal (11 - 93185673 STRIP,SEALING,25 X 12.5MM X 8M,COVER,HEADLAMP,RH TRAFFIC) but kind of makes sense to stop it rubbing away at the clam, or the cover (10 - 93185671 RH/93185672 LH COVER,HEADLAMP,RH TRAFFIC). What does the cover do (apart from restrict access to the headlight unit)??? :unsure: Looking at the diagram, it implies it fits into the clam, behind the mounting braket???

Phil

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

No idea what it's meant to do but I think that's what JJJ found on his VXR when he tried to access the rear of the lamps and he binned them (or certainly didn't refit them).

#11 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

48 quid of that is for the foam seal round the sides

As my lights are going into a freshly painted clam, I thinks some protective foam tape would probably be a good idea, but not at £48! This stuff is slightly narrower (10mm) than the 1/2" vauxhall stuff.

Foam tape

I'll be getting a roll, so if anyone else wants some, let me know, as I should have some left out of the 25 metres!

Phil

Edited by pjohn151, 07 May 2009 - 09:34 AM.

#12 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

I will have two of the large grommets if you want to 'bump up' the order to £30 thumbsup in fact I will pay a fiver for two if that helps :)

#13 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

Stick me down for a full set of the large grommets as I've got gaffer tape all round! Draught excluder tape does the trick too and is in smaller rolls. Just an idea. I believe the headlight backing is there to spread the load of the headlight mounting round the whole aperture rather than just on that one bar piece which is prone to breaking (the clams arent made of the best material). Thats the bit thats 70 odd quid I believe.

#14 starlight

starlight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Ok, they arrived today:
Posted Image

They are solid rubber and look the same both sides (blanking grommet), not hollowed out like the originals (semi blind), so you do get your monies worth of rubber!

Just to prove they fit:
Posted Image

I've PM'd all who expressed an interest and so don't have any spare, so if anyone else needs any, feel free to contact the company - their contact details are in the top photo, min order value of £30.

On another note, the tape also arrived today...

Phil

Edited because Photobox didn't want to play :beat:

Edited by pjohn151, 08 May 2009 - 04:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users