Bleeding Brakes - Simple Question

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

I need to change my pads and fluid for a trackday on Monday. To save me removing a wheel, does anybody know what size (ID) of tube I need to fit on to the bleed nipples. I'd like to try and grab some clear tube so that I can see what's coming out. chinky chinky

Edited by techieboy, 12 August 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#2 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

Think it is ~5mm :unsure: I know it's the larger of the two sizes available for windscreen washer jets...

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

5mm ;) or if you use some silicon 3mm is fine - enjoy! Reminds me to do mine before staurday pending it all been back and sorted (bit of a theme with my events lol) DG

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Thanks chaps. Suitably armed with with a couple of different sizes from B&Q. thumbsup

#5 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

How are you planning to do it, just pump each corner till it runs clean constantly topping up? Any particular sequence?

#6 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

I've got a pressure bleeder, so hoping most of it will be relatively straightforward. Usual thing, with the furthest bleed point first and work forward. Will probably also bleed the clutch as well. I don't think I really need to do it but it's been over 8 months and a few trackdays and I've got to replace the pads and fit new rear discs, so might as well. I've noticed the fluid level warning light flickering a few times recently so although new pads would raise the level again, it makes sense to do it it one hit.

#7 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

I've got a pressure bleeder, so hoping most of it will be relatively straightforward. Usual thing, with the furthest bleed point first and work forward. Will probably also bleed the clutch as well.

I don't think I really need to do it but it's been over 8 months and a few trackdays and I've got to replace the pads and fit new rear discs, so might as well. I've noticed the fluid level warning light flickering a few times recently so although new pads would raise the level again, it makes sense to do it it one hit.

Didn't think you should force the fluid back into the reservoir when fitting new pads as it can invert seals in the system but I could be talking rubbish.

Oakmere

#8 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

Techie, if you want a hand let me know.

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

Techie, if you want a hand let me know.

Thanks Mr STB. If you see me in the paddock at Bedford on Monday morning, frantically removing my wheels, you can probably assume things didn't go to well at which point, any help you can offer would be appreciated. thumbsup

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Well, that wasn't as easy as planned. The pressure bleeder decided to play silly buggers half way through and injected more air into the system than fluid at one point because of a pinched O-ring. Got around with a quick visit to Homebase for a variety pack of standard O rings which seemed to sort it. Got my new Pagid's out of the bubble wrap they came in yesterday, only to find the fronts were the wrong pads!!! Might possibly have been for a 4-pot equipped VX - dunno. Cue frantic phone calls to anywhere open on a Saturday that might have suitable pads. Ended up driving up to Northampton to pick up some new compound Yellow Stuff pads. Damn Elise Parts for not being open on a Saturday. :( So I'm temporarily running Yellow Stuff all round. Will see how they work shortly when I go out to bed them in and get the release compound off the new rear R888's. Could be interesting.....:wacko:

#11 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

So I'm temporarily running Yellow Stuff all round. Will see how they work shortly when I go out to bed them in and get the release compound off the new rear R888's. Could be interesting.....:wacko:

Good luck matey! :o :unsure:

PS Have you tried Green Stuff? Apparently they're quite good! ;)

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Funnily enough, yes. The car came with them fitted and I can confirm that they were particularly sh!te. :D

#13 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

thumbsup :lol:

#14 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

Euro Carparts now supply Pagids and according to the guy in their Swindon branch they are the exclusive UK stockist. He wasn't sure if they could supply the whole range which made me think that he wasn't telling the full story.

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

Damn. That would have been handy to know yesterday, assuming of course, they can do proper Pagids. Ah well, good to know for the future although I suspect they won't have them on the shelf.

#16 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

Funnily enough, yes. The car came with them fitted and I can confirm that they were particularly sh!te. :D

I can now also confirm that Yellow Stuff are sh!te as well. Certainly not as sh!te as Green Stuff but most definitely not good enough for use on a high speed track. New set of Pagids on their way now......

#17 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

I can now also confirm that Yellow Stuff are sh!te as well. Certainly not as sh!te as Green Stuff but most definitely not good enough for use on a high speed track. New set of Pagids on their way now......

What you planning on doing with the 'nearly new' yellows :unsure: :poke: :lol:

#18 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

They will be rapidly heading for the Great Brake Pad Rest Home in the Sky aka my bin. I think I'd have been better off with the remnants of the front Pagid's at Bedford today. :(

#19 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

They will be rapidly heading for the Great Brake Pad Rest Home in the Sky aka my bin.

I think I'd have been better off with the remnants of the front Pagid's at Bedford today. :(

Techie which compound did you get I have got the 1793 formulation not the 1846 formulation and have found them good FOR ROAD USE.

Cheers Oakmere

#20 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

yellow's are fine with road tires, but I doubt they are good enough to work well with 888/A048 but a decent road/trackday pad for classic tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users