21 replies to this topic

#1 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:43 PM

I'm off snowboarding in January so I'm gonna need some gear! Looking for everything that keeps me warm. I'm 5'8" and 10.5 st. I'll also be needing stuff for the missus, she's 5'3" and 8 st. Only been once before so not sure I'm gonna keep it up hence being tight and looking for second hand stuff.

#2 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

I'm off snowboarding in January so I'm gonna need some gear! Looking for everything that keeps me warm. I'm 5'8" and 10.5 st. I'll also be needing stuff for the missus, she's 5'3" and 8 st. Only been once before so not sure I'm gonna keep it up hence being tight and looking for second hand stuff.

got some old gear in the loft :rolleyes:

#3 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

The board and boots you can hire there, and as for clothes - places like TK Maxx do cheap gear. I also saw some recently somewhere that I didn't expect - may have been somewhere like Tesco, can't recall. You only need salapettes and a jacket. As for the rest, I'm sure you have stuff at home you can use - or if you need to buy it, you will reuse it (and it too can be bought cheaply at many places): warm gloves, warm socks, layers for under the outer garments, boots for walking around when not skiing.

#4 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

hey iv got a women's red ski outfit in the loft its a top French make but cant remember what it was. it was £600 new but that was while ago and you can have it for £20 if you want it.

#5 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

hey iv got a women's red ski outfit in the loft its a top French make but cant remember what it was. it was £600 new but that was while ago and you can have it for £20 if you want it.

Sounds ideal! Do you reckon its the right sort of size for my 5'3" missus?

#6 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

warm gloves

Yea, i'd get your nan to knit some :rolleyes:

My advise is rent it all (board/boots/external clothes/bag) here. They will be far better and cheaper with the current euro rate. I cant believe the badly setup and utter crap some of my mates have paid good money for thumbsdown

You might get some good kit on ebay atm

Edited by cheeky_chops, 03 September 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#7 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:40 AM

Sounds ideal! Do you reckon its the right sort of size for my 5'3" missus?

il have a look the night mate as the painter is doing my place so cant get in the loft just yet.

#8 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

tkmaxx is superb. stick to tresspass brand if you can find it and treck around a few of these stores as they all have different stock.. buy good gloves though- and if you are learning buy some skate boarding wrist supports that do onto the paml of your hands- buy these before your try on gloves. they just take a bit off the impact and make you far less tired pushing yourself up all the time. oh and if you are mixing and matching make sure it all fits together, sounds obvious, but its worth keeping in mind. #

#9 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for all the pointers, I really appreciate it. What you got in the loft fab, something you'd want to sell me?

#10 Toady

Toady

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Interests:cars, mountain biking, skiing/snowboarding, anything adrenaline pumping!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Where are you going as it depends on how cold and the types of weather to expect? Being Jan obviously everywhere will be cccold! I'm off to the rockies end of Feb and I can't wait! I'd suggest getting some skin tight therma layers that go under the outer garments. Then a therma T shirt or 2 and a good quality jacket and pants, only wear one pair of decent socks too. I bought a really nice rip curl jacket at the end of this years season for £120 down from £200, you may even get stuff cheaper now as new season stuff is about to come out! I was actually in a shop in Reading last month that was having a clear out prior to refurbing the shop, Altimus I think it was called. They had Billabong jackets going for £30 and pants for £20!!! I don't need anymore stuff or I'd have bought some!!

#11 Gnits

Gnits

• PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Boarding, Paragliding, Photography, normal boy things!

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

In Reading there is a sale on at Riverside every year where they do really cheap kit. I think it is on in early Jan. My advice would be to buy boots here no matter what else you do - you can wear your fingerless gloves knitted by your nan if you like but if you have a pair of bad fitting boots it will be worse than toture!

#12 P1NKY

P1NKY

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

I've got some goggles (worn once, didn't like them, got a b*llocking for buying them) that you're welcome to if you need some. If they're not on our spare bed, I won't get hassled any more :-) PM me if you're interested.

#13 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:01 AM

I've got an old pair of Burton Analogue Trousers. Cost me £250 three seasons back, and they're still in good condition. I coat them with nikwax before I use them, which I've not done this year as I've bought some new North Face gear. Yours for £50 Bargain!!!

#14 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:39 AM

i forgot all about this thread and il have that womens gear if you want it just send me postage and its yours.

#15 aron916

aron916

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

If it is going to be cold, which in Jan it probs will, make sure you have a decent pair of gloves! First time i went i had average gloves and my hands were frozen, so then i bought a pair of 'Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski', expensive and probs a bit of overkill for what i need, but Soooooo warm and comfy! chinky chinky

Edited by aron916, 17 November 2009 - 11:40 AM.

#16 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for all your replies. I'm pretty much sorted thanks in part to the delightlul TK Max. Sorted for xmas presents! Its just a shame I cant buy the missus (or myself) some ability! I just hope she takes to it in the first week otherwise persuading her for next year might be hard. Matt PS Les arc on the 30th jan. Yipeeee!

#17 Matt

Matt

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

Just thought i'd say you should keep a close eye on tkmaxx, I just picked up some bargin bits for my trip over the Xmas period. A spyder jacket for less than 100, still retailing at around 400 down a local ski shop, last season but like I care. Also a bargain on socks, gloves, and base layers. Just be prepared to sort through mainly crap, and keep popping back as any good stuff sells straight away. Anyone got any ideas for apres ski footwear for either me or the missus, cheap but warm and comfy?

Edited by Matt, 17 November 2009 - 09:20 PM.

#18 rasputin

rasputin

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:drinking beer

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

hey i just got a spider jacket from tkmax too thumbsup is it the two piece one? just been having ski lessons at xscape and i was roasting in it . also skiwear4less are having a huge sale this weekend.

#19 james141

james141

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

I went to Canada in Jan and it was bloody cold. I was in the same boat as you not sure if i would use it again. i ended up getting the jacket, trousers and gloves from Tesco's ski range of all places. And I was warmer than everyone else who had spent $$$ on brand name stuff thumbsup

Edited by james141, 19 November 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#20 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• 12,905 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

I also saw some recently somewhere that I didn't expect - may have been somewhere like Tesco, can't recall

i ended up getting the jacket, trousers and gloves from Tesco's ski range of all places.

Ah ha - so it was Tesco thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users