• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#3701 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

2HU is close ish. Not perfect by a long shot. That's what my hardtop was done in. The lotus black doesn't match either.... My paint man couldn't match it 100% with vauxhall or lotus colours. God knows what they used from the factory...

#3702 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

Can the people who did your bodywork advise of the the correct codes? (or supply you with some paint)

#3703 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

That's a good shout on asking your paint guys Nev as they might have used 20R/ 2HU as that is also called Sapphire Black...

Edited by Mopeytitan, 26 January 2017 - 08:49 PM.

#3704 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Relentless wasn't it? When you pranged it? Good few years ago now wasn't it? But they might hold records?

#3705 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

2HU was what my hard top was done in. I was never happy with it.

#3706 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

Relentless wasn't it? When you pranged it? Good few years ago now wasn't it? But they might hold records?

Yup, the spraying was sub-contracted out to some other guy called Tim. TBH the colour I got it back in seemed flatter than the original, so maybe he got confused and used a duller variant of the 2HU.

God knows, if I rang him I doubt he'd remember 4 years on.

The car is so dirty usually, I doubt even I'd notice a slight change in colour. At the moment I'm considering some more bodywork changes, possibly tackling it myself, hence I'd need paint.

Edited by Nev, 27 January 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#3707 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Chance for colour change? If you do it this week, you could call it "Salted Silohuette" or "Graveled Gray"? :lol: Never mind Sapphire Black, just make up your own variant! :)

#3708 aKra

aKra

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

I've got a Dutch Speedster Turbo (4446) and in my service manual is a sticker with the "[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]28U Sapphire Black" paint code. My car is black metallic.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]When we replaced a damaged front, and resprayed it with 28U it totally mismatched. The colour on my car is actually a Lotus colour! It's called "[/color]Starlight Black Metallic". The Lotus dealership in The Netherlands think because i've got one of the first they might have sprayed it with a Lotus black instead of GM.

#3709 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

Try searching for Opel colour codes if you have not done so already. When I got my hardtop painted, the paint shop couldn't find Calypso Red or the paint code listed as a Vauxhall colour, but did eventually find it listed under Opel.

Just to add to the confusion, he had half a dozen Lotus Calypso Reds to choose from, none of which were close.

#3710 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

It's quite incredible how a simple thing like this can be so fcuked up, all thanks to crap unprofessional staff who can't even be accurate with a few letters and numbers. It reminds me of the people who can't be arsed with their spelling and grammar - they are often one and the same people in my experience. :(

Edited by Nev, 27 January 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#3711 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

I've started work on silencer #6 by cutting and marking up the sheet, ready for bending on Josh's new sheet brake tomorrow.

The carcass of this silencer will be fabricated in a different way this time - as a top and bottom clam shell. This will allow me to weld the pipework inside the bottom shell with good access for the TIG torch from the top (which I didn't have the last time). Then when the pipes are in situe I can weld on the top clam and then the side walls.

Edited by Nev, 28 January 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#3712 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

I've got a Dutch Speedster Turbo (4446) and in my service manual is a sticker with the "[color=rgb(40,40,40);][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"]28U Sapphire Black" paint code. My car is black metallic.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"]When we replaced a damaged front, and resprayed it with 28U it totally mismatched. The colour on my car is actually a Lotus colour! It's called "[/color][/font]Starlight Black Metallic". The Lotus dealership in The Netherlands think because i've got one of the first they might have sprayed it with a Lotus black instead of GM.

There are 2 kind of saphire blacks. One is metallic black (oem turbo/vxt) and one is with mica in it.

The WRONG Saphire black is : 93170652 / GR.8.769 / 1766010

#3713 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

Phew, had a bit of a burst of activity in the garage today. Thanks go to Josh for bending the sheet for me in his man cave!

I'm now already at the point where I have to either stop and wait for the Chinese flapper valve to arrive in the post, or bite a brave pill and install my own DIY flapper. Not sure what to do really.

One thing is noticeable though, my welding really has come on leaps and bounds since the first job, it's hard to distinguish the professional welds on the bends from my own now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nev, 29 January 2017 - 06:01 PM.

#3714 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Good stuff nev well done

#3715 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

thumbsup :)

#3716 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Today I attached my DIY flapper valve on the tailpipe of the existing exhaust and started the car up in order to sanity check the valve operation.

On the positive side it opened and closed well. I was surprised to find it required a lot more spring pressure than I'd anticipated even at idle

On the negative side the pulses of gas were causing it to crack open/close rapidly, such that it rattled quite badly on each closure as it hit the travel stop. I think this would be quite an annoying noise in the car, as it would manifest itself when the gas pressure was just at the point of overcoming the spring pressure.

I guess this means the Chinese jobbie is the stronger candidate to go into the exhaust now. I'm still waiting for the donkey to deliver it...

Edited by Nev, 31 January 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#3717 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

Its Chinese, they use dragon express not donkey service.   :lol:   

Exhaust looks like a solid start, following with interest.

#3718 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

Just went to price up some Federal RSRs 285x18x30 and they are just £102 inc VAT each!

Amazingly good value, I was expecting them to be at least 50% more than that.

Edited by Nev, 05 February 2017 - 07:04 PM.

#3719 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Where do you buy your exhaust pipework from Nev?

#3720 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

have you tried merlin

https://www.merlinmo...ess-steel-parts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users