#4521 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:05 PM

boost is a daft way to think about power 

The effects of temperature and air density are most observable on an ordinary turbo charged car when you take it out out for an early morning run on a cold day.  You can really feel the difference in power.

and less traffic around ... double whammy!

#4522 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

996 HP now... https://www.facebook...eater  :wacko:

Edited by Nev, 13 January 2019 - 07:18 PM.

#4523 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

Nev I was going to update as you had posted the other day but beat me to it ;)

Knock knock 1000bhp ;) stopped due to boost hose coming off so more to come :D

#4524 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

Nev I was going to update as you had posted the other day but beat me to it ;)

Knock knock 1000bhp ;) stopped due to boost hose coming off so more to come :D

what type of clamp did they use?

#4525 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

Jeeze, I'm so lazy, Sunday morning with nothing to do and I can't even be arsed to drive it, let alone swap the gearbox over. I think middle aged apathy has set in at the Nev household. :(

Edited by Nev, 20 January 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#4526 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

Get on with it old man 😂

#4527 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:26 PM

Been a bit busy with the welder, building a wood burning camping stove/heater. It's a little project I've been meaning to build for a while now for my car based tours out to Spain and whatnot.

You just shove small branches in the diagonal and the air siphons in nicely to create quite some heat up the chimney. Will take a video of it's inauguration burn soon. Once I've seen how high the pans need to be raised above the chimney top I will make a bracket to slot onto the chimney top.

waKM2K1.jpg

Edited by Nev, 01 February 2019 - 05:29 PM.

#4528 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:47 PM

interesting , I have a similar weird Irish Kelly kettle , it is incredibly thermal efficient 

#4529 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

When lighting it on Sunday it was bothersome, so I need to add a vent at the bottom for more oxygen for the first minute or two. Once it gets going though, there is no stopping it, you can hear the syphon "roar" as the speedy hot gases suck in the fresh air.

Edited by Nev, 04 February 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#4530 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

I've put together a load of old pics from the last 10 years or so if anyone is interested: https://photos.googl...FJNSjBCWEM5VGlR

Edited by Nev, 17 February 2019 - 06:59 PM.

#4531 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:09 PM

I've put together a load of old pics from the last 10 years or so if anyone is interested: https://photos.googl...FJNSjBCWEM5VGlR

All look like they were taken on the same road trip   :ninja:

#4532 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

Been in touch with Josh, and he sent me this beaut, that is one elegant and unique car. I couldn't help but post the pic up!

rTAZPft.jpg

Edited by Nev, 12 March 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#4533 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:10 PM

That roof line is nice. Has he extended the roof or is it in the paint?

#4534 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

That roof line is nice. Has he extended the roof or is it in the paint?

Extended. Very unique car, got mods on it most people can't even conceive of, like under seat cross bracing, steering boss support to reduce vibrations (a la S.American VX220s) etc etc, Z20LEH + M32 cranking out 350 HP, aluminium roll cage, rear bumper oil cooler, extra front rads, DIY modified wishbones (0 degree castor a la 80s Lancias)... The list is endless, all engineered by him (he's an aerospace engineer).

Edited by Nev, 12 March 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#4535 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

One of my aims is to get rid of my air filter in the boot, so I can go driving with him across France + Spain with him for a few months and store camping equipment in my boot. A 5000 mile road trip with plenty of climbing, hill walking and wild camping for a few months is just what I need after a hard 9 months working!! He is also semi (fully?) retired at 45!

Edited by Nev, 12 March 2019 - 07:28 PM.

#4536 joshua

joshua

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for including my car once again in your thread Nev :-)
I’ve been meaning to start my own project thread for an age now.

A quick word on a couple of the mods you mentioned.
Front geo I set out to reverse neg camber loss on turn in and reduce corner loading steer centering.
After 3 sets of different dimension wishbones and various stages of hub machining I settled on 5° kpi (11.5° standard) and 3° castor (3.5° standard). At this setting 30° steering input increases neg camber almost 1°. Static settings 0.2° camber 0 mm toe. I also added 2” larger dia steering wheel which proved unecessary. I love the results the car now has a huge amount of front end bite and is always eager to turn.
The steering column rubber support got immediately binned as had no benefit.

Get that Nipper ready Nev. This year will be my 6th road trip in the VX to Andalusia, it gets better each time.

#4537 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for including my car once again in your thread Nev :-)

I’ve been meaning to start my own project thread for an age now.

Front geo I set out to reverse neg camber loss on turn in and reduce corner loading steer centering.

After 3 sets of different dimension wishbones and various stages of hub machining I settled on 5° kpi (11.5° standard) and 3° castor (3.5° standard). At this setting 30° steering input increases neg camber almost 1°. Static settings 0.2° camber 0 mm toe. I also added 2” larger dia steering wheel which proved unecessary. I love the results the car now has a huge amount of front end bite and is always eager to turn.

Wow some serious engineering going on there. Although I admit a lot of it may as well be in Chinese :D What I do understand and totally appreciate is the end result. Have you considered making more and selling them to other owners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4538 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

Get that Nipper ready Nev. This year will be my 6th road trip in the VX to Andalusia, it gets better each time.

are you driving down via France , or taking Ferry?

#4539 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

The steering column rubber support got immediately binned as had no benefit.

Interesting engineering here and deserves a project thread!!

Have to dive deeper into this, but alway thought our cars added extra front negative camber on steering lock? You say it does the reverse, reduce camber on steering lock?? :wacko:

You also altered the bearing height with the machined hubs? (wishbone angle/roll centre?)

Edit; KPI angle is related to the top & bottom bearing positions, so the wishbone lengths. You changed both upper and lowers?

Anything special done on the rear?

Edited by Exmantaa, 19 March 2019 - 02:38 PM.

#4540 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

PS; would be interesting to know your wheel/tire size + ET to see what scrub radius you now have with 5°KPI.

(The Elise 111S originally had 12°KPI with +10.5mm scrub radius on the 185-55-15 wheels ET 14mm offset...)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users