• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#81 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

Wish you'd said, they were at Autosport!

:yeahthat: never knew or would have spoke to them :(

Almost directly across from Piper!

#82 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Did not want to rub it in that much Theo :P

#83 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

Did not want to rub it in that much Theo :P

Oh, I thought you meant that you didn't see Ferrea. :rolleyes: Oops. :blush:

#84 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

just spent quite a while reading through ur blog, its a good read! very interesting and full of tips, i'll definately be reading each installment as it comes, can't wait (along with lots of other people i'm sure) to see the final outcome, keep up the good work nev!!! thumbsup

#85 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

Hi Duncan,

I know the head work is not all that significant really. Talking to Neil Roper (who will do it), he said his porting will make approx 3% VE gains. Going from 8.5mm OEM lift to 10.5mm and +1mm dia inlet valves and exhaust valves should add approx 5% more power (and better low end torque). Solid lifters will add approx 10 BHP owing to more agressive lift and drop profile. This all adds up to approx +40 bhp ontop of approx 410 BHP (with a GT30R71 setup), or +50 bhp ontop of approx 460 BHP (with a GT30R76 setup).

I am keen to make the effort with the head, as it can be transfered easily to another block in case something drastic happens to the first block! Also, by making sure the head is flowing as well as it can, I can move up to a GT35 or even a GT40 should I chose to in the future, just for the price of a turbo and a remap. Thus, you can see that I am still fairly determined to do this project right, from the outset.

I await feedback from Ferrea (BTW I was aware that they were at the 'fair'), as Steveboyslim was talking to them (and Piper) for me.

It's interesting to hear that CS have bought all those Cosworth pistons...

If I get time I also may fabricate a new airbox with Dave H, as the OEM will be causing quite a bit of P1 losses if asked to flow for 500 BHP.

Went for a nice drive on snow free and semi dry roads today, it reminded me of why I am going to all this bother...!

Thanks for the condondement RedVts, I hope my blog raises a bit of spirit in the site and perhaps someone may follow my footsteps with a VXT one day (assuming mine ever runs well!).

Nev is there really a need to do that much work with the head? Does Stephan do much with his (thinking of the only other person running mega power)?

If you have oe ones can a decent company not copy and spec to the larger size required? Would not think it was that hard tbh

Will give you a shout when the cams are in and let you know what they like ;) been speaking with Dave H about inlet manifolds and we have a few options that may help you ;) also been talking with the companies about your piston options and think the 600bhp rating of the new superspec pistons should be just fine Dave getting more tech detail onit) they are also releasing some H rods in the next few weeks that include under piston oil spray (not as good as LEH setup but a step forward ;)

CS have purchase the complete stock of cosworth pistons at the moment

Also working hard on a new inbox for the crazy ones in the group :P

DG

Edited by Nev, 18 January 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#86 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

I was speaking to ITG who have actually designed a box for the VXT rated to 500bhp and even a carbon option :P but even with trade its a bit rich for my tight arse :D and between us Dave an I think we can do it just as good and look at a proper ram air solution possibly :P 10.5mm lift sounds good :) find out tomorrow how far I can go :P would love to play around with the head myself but at my state of tune not sire it will be worth the effort. May open up / polish the exhaust ports but that's it really Let us know if I can help or need to bouce any ideas around ;)

#87 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

More bad news on the valve front, I have measured one of the exhaust valves out of my engine and it's nothing like a 22SE valve, so Ferrea can't supply what I need.

Edited by Nev, 20 January 2010 - 05:22 PM.

#88 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

I am at the end of my tether with trying to find larger valves now. I have 2 prospective manufacturers willing to make me some, but the wait and the cost probably outweight the benefit. I think it is now highly likely that I abandon trying to install larger valves in the engine, though this is with considerable regret as I had hoped not to compromise on the build :( In fact I was so annoyed and preoccupied, when I drove specially to Tesco to fill Nipper up with 99 RON, I found that I had filled him up with 95 RON!! Now I have to drive round like a pussy for 240 miles to stop detonation.... *duuh*

Edited by Nev, 22 January 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#89 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

Millers Octane Booster or whatever it's called. thumbsup Sorry about the valves though. Can't believe there isn't something available. :(

#90 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:54 PM

I recon your money is better spent on other areas... more gains in the intake manifold than the valves and the stock valves do happily stand up to some abuse.

#91 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

I hope your are right Chris. I have an exhaust valve sitting in front of me on my desk as I type, it seems incredible to me that this tiny little thing manages to let 1/8th of the necessary gas pass to make 300 BHP in my current car, let alone a 425 BHP engine. It's just too damned tiny !

Edited by Nev, 23 January 2010 - 10:34 AM.

#92 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Engine block and head delivered to Steve Milton for machineing today. http://sites.google....er/update-012-1

Edited by Nev, 24 January 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#93 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

this guy got oversized valves, 4th post down

http://www.astraowne...ad.php?t=231119

built by regal iirc

Edited by cheeky_chops, 24 January 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#94 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thanks a lot Cheeky, I have PMed him and hope he gets back to me. I suspect he got some of the last batch that REC made (that have now sold out), but maybe if I am lucky he found another manufacturer somewhere that I am unaware of. Will ring Regal as well to re-confirm they dont have any in stock.

Edited by Nev, 25 January 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#95 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Is there anyone in the UK running a GT30R76 on their car that I can have a chat with please ?

#96 danger7

danger7

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

I only have a small one :lol: GT2871RS that is - try MrRandall Cheers Ian

#97 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

Mr Randal only has a medium one ;) (GT30R71). I was just wanting to hear at what RPM the larger compressor housing spools up fully so that I can make a (slightly) informed judgement on the reduced drivability of the larger turbo.

#98 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

Nev I keep checking in on this thread for updates, every time i log on i hope there are advancements. I was thinking about a vx with over 400hp today and what it would be like to drive it, i can't help thinking it will be completely uncontrollable. Unless the road is flat, dry, straight, smooth and nothing else on it it's going to be a right handful. My pitiful 250hp can be an issue in 1st and 2nd. Can you fit wider tyres on the back although this will surely only make a minor improvement?? Just thinking out loud. EDIT i'm not questioning the need for more power, that would be ridiculous. You can never have too much power, just not enough grip.

Edited by VXT Tim, 01 February 2010 - 07:40 PM.

#99 John Faulkner

John Faulkner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

not been on here for a while Nev, but Imnotworthy will give you a call one day this week for a chat :)

#100 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

Hi Tim,

I agree, my car in the wet can barely plant more than 100 BHP down (particularily becuase of the 888 tyres). However, in the dry with a good surface and in a moderately straight line it could easily plant 400 BHP down (once over say 50 MPH). Anyway, I am not doing this project just to make my car go faster, another goal is to simply see if I can do this and as a result get to understand my engine fully.

As for wider wheels/tyres on the rear, I fear this would affect handling a good deal and would require bodywork changes over the rear arches to accomodate, not something I'd want to do really. I would prefer to simply not press the accelerator so hard!

BTW if you find you are wheel spinning in 2nd gear, try fitting Toyo 888s, I get very little slip with them.

Nevster.

Nev I keep checking in on this thread for updates, every time i log on i hope there are advancements.

I was thinking about a vx with over 400hp today and what it would be like to drive it, i can't help thinking it will be completely uncontrollable.
Unless the road is flat, dry, straight, smooth and nothing else on it it's going to be a right handful. My pitiful 250hp can be an issue in 1st and 2nd.

Can you fit wider tyres on the back although this will surely only make a minor improvement??
Just thinking out loud.

EDIT i'm not questioning the need for more power, that would be ridiculous. You can never have too much power, just not enough grip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users