#1 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

- Not that i had a reputation!!

Been having a quick look for a tiny amplified sub.

I was driving around the Fylde coast at the weekend, and I really can barely hear the music.
I miss having driving music - its funny, I'm not even heavily into music. Also i listen to acoustic indie stuff!

I figure its pretty pointless lugging the head unit around at the moment, but I wonder what people would think of this?

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000S6GVPO

I'd mount it with velcro for instant track day removal, and its connectors not screw terminals.

Dims 340L x 71H (max. 79) x 225W (mm). Think a half depth shoebox.

#2 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

I believe there are a number of threads on the forum talking about slimline active sub woofers on here. Pioneer and Boss seem to be the most frequently mentioned ones (they fit nicely behind the seats) Second, I wouldn't touch Blaupunkt with a bargepole anymore. Everything I have had of theirs is sh1t.

#3 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Ahh yes. I found a three page thread on the subject. My bad. :(

#4 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

- Not that i had a reputation!!

Been having a quick look for a tiny amplified sub.

I was driving around the Fylde coast at the weekend, and I really can barely hear the music.
I miss having driving music - its funny, I'm not even heavily into music. Also i listen to acoustic indie stuff!

I figure its pretty pointless lugging the head unit around at the moment, but I wonder what people would think of this?

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000S6GVPO

I'd mount it with velcro for instant track day removal, and its connectors not screw terminals.

Dims 340L x 71H (max. 79) x 225W (mm). Think a half depth shoebox.

John, do you still have the original head unit?
It's VERY underpowered and I found that just changing mine to a Kenwood 50watt one and a set of Sony replacement speakers made it Soooooooooooo much louder and better quality.

#5 Dangerous

Dangerous

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Personally i wouldn't bother. I've replaced my head unit with a decent sony bluetooth one and changed the speakers for direct replacement Xplod XS's and there is loads of good quality volume and plenty of bass.

#6 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

My speakers are yellow in colour... are a big name brand, but i forget what. Possibly pioneer? Headunit is a cheap (but seemingly newish) kenwood unit. High frequency is good, but mid range gets totally lost, and bass is entirely absent. I think i'm just in a spending mood tonight... i'll get over it. Already bought engine mounts, stainless undertray bolts and some spare clips tonight.

#7 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:04 PM

Ahh yes. I found a three page thread on the subject.

My bad. :(

If i'm guessing right, that will be fred's thread (i'm a poet and don't know it). I would recommend sending him a private message asking his thoughts on the subject. I'm sure he will be more than happy to share his very obvious knowledge on the subject.

Best of luck.

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

If you can still hear your stereo in your car whilst over 3000 RPM you simply haven't tuned the engine to be loud enough! I have to wear ear plugs, even for commuting at 50 MPH.

#9 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

If you can still hear your stereo in your car whilst over 3000 RPM you simply haven't tuned the engine to be loud enough! I have to wear ear plugs, even for commuting at 50 MPH.

The limit for my car is 6hrs MAX or it has strange effects - serious! Left ear started bleeding on last Europe trip but will teach me flaming in tunnels :D

And it is not goin to get any better with lumpy cams, 7k rev limit and massive air box etc :P

LOL

#10 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yes, well i guess there is that. My plans are currently:- Remove pre-cat Remap Gaz shocks Brake pads (Greenstuff keep trying to kill me!!!!) Lobotomy to help me ignore the bubbles/chips/flakes/missing chunks that winter has brought me.

#11 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Boss Bass 600 active slimline sub thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup Well made and sounds great. Most speakers have decent enough midrange and trebble and it's only the bass that they lack. Getting a sub means you probably won't have to change your speakers.

#12 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Dude, I do tons of track days and I've got an Amp and Sub in mine. Got a custom fibreglass enclosure behind the seats and a 12" SUB MOUNTED (as per MandarinVX's design). It really does sound awesome!! I know there is extra weight, but so what..? Doesn't slow me down too much :) I did the Nurburgring in it last year with the Mrs (and a bunch of nutters off of here), and it really made the long drive to Germany bearable having tunes that I could hear. I've thought about taking it out and selling the enclosure (they go for good money) but I just like having tunes in the car!!

#13 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

:yeahthat: I don't think I've had the stereo on since the Europe trip in 2006 (probably still got the same CD inside) and earplugs are absolutely essential (eh, pardon?).
chinky chinky

#14 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

Bit too hardcore for most I think ;)

#15 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

Haha!! I'm not a fan of a loud exhaust. I'd like a tiny bit nicer a sound than the stock one though!! With all the rattles and bumps i do sometimes think the car makes its own 'industrial' music.

#16 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

Dude, I do tons of track days and I've got an Amp and Sub in mine. Got a custom fibreglass enclosure behind the seats and a 12" SUB MOUNTED (as per MandarinVX's design). It really does sound awesome!! I know there is extra weight, but so what..? Doesn't slow me down too much :) I did the Nurburgring in it last year with the Mrs (and a bunch of nutters off of here), and it really made the long drive to Germany bearable having tunes that I could hear.

I've thought about taking it out and selling the enclosure (they go for good money) but I just like having tunes in the car!!

Driving in Germany?
Isn't it law you have to have Kraftwerk playing?

#17 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

i have this one for sale if you would like to buy it off me?

comes with a remote control also to turn bass/treble up :)

#18 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Boss Bass 600 active slimline sub thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup Well made and sounds great.

Since I know little about audio, the 1st one above is a 600W peak/200 RMS system and the 2nd link is a 150W (peak?). Does this mean that the 1st one will be more bassy due to the extra power and is therefore the better one of the two?

Edited by spuk87, 31 January 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#19 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

Driving in Germany?
Isn't it law you have to have Kraftwerk playing?

Nah they've changed that law. Now you have to have the Scorpions on loop.

Wind of change :lol:

#20 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Haven't you flogged that yet Joe? :lol: How long have you had it up for sale now? :tumble: Surely you can flog it to the French one. He's always up for filling his garage up with more car related bits :D

Since I know little about audio, the 1st one above is a 600W peak/200 RMS system and the 2nd link is a 150W (peak?). Does this mean that the 1st one will be more bassy due to the extra power and is therefore the better one of the two?

It may be louder, but that doesn't mean better. It boils down to whether you just want out and out volume, or do you want sound quality, or both? If you want both, then you are looking to spend serious £££

I believe the one Joe has is 60W nominal (I think this is the equivalent of RMS. I really wish they'd just quote RMS values rather than this PMPO bollox which means f#*k all other than a meaningless big number), which is pretty loud. 200W RMS in a cab that small would probably be uncomfortable after a length of time.

Edited by turbobob, 31 January 2010 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users