MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

I know a few people have been having trouble with track noise limits and things will only get worse, and wondered why no one designs simple decibel reduction systems for our cars, especially as there are some serious engineers on this site. As my exhaust has got notaby louder since supercharging the car (the exhaust was designed for it when it had 185 bhp), and as I am doing goodwood in 3 weeks, thought I would try something. I bought two db reducers from demon tweeks (£15), cut them down so they would go in, drilled holes in them and fitted them via bolts that push outwards (theres an inner lip on my exhaust that holds them in). I then took it to Goodwood to get a db check done. Amazingly I recorded 96db with the tubes in, 99db with them out (wasnt as bad as I thought). Its not a huge difference but may be enough in some situations and I will just keep them in my tool bag now in case. Martin s

#2 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

TTIWWP Great post, sounds like that could be a winner, pics please ;)

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

Browsing through the tweeks website, but cannot find them. Do you have a direct link?

#4 Gizmotron

Gizmotron

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Track Days
    Mountain biking

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

I know a few people have been having trouble with track noise limits and things will only get worse, and wondered why no one designs simple decibel reduction systems for our cars, especially as there are some serious engineers on this site.
As my exhaust has got notaby louder since supercharging the car (the exhaust was designed for it when it had 185 bhp), and as I am doing goodwood in 3 weeks, thought I would try something.

I bought two db reducers from demon tweeks (£15), cut them down so they would go in, drilled holes in them and fitted them via bolts that push outwards (theres an inner lip on my exhaust that holds them in).

I then took it to Goodwood to get a db check done. Amazingly I recorded 96db with the tubes in, 99db with them out (wasnt as bad as I thought). Its not a huge difference but may be enough in some situations and I will just keep them in my tool bag now in case.

Martin s

What exhaust system do you have? i have a Larini backbox and the rest is miltek. i am also worried about the db's readings especially at tracks that test whilst driving pass check spots like Bedford. if these db reducers work it would save me change the exhaust for some track days

#5 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

you wont get anywhere near bedford with a larini he has a 2ublar and can you post some picures and links please martin

#6 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

Page 301, 2 inch inserts in the demon tweeks catalogue. You have to cut them right down as our exhuast bends quite quickly. I had read that to reduce noise you need to break up the flow, so cut fine strips in at the ends and folded them in in a star like pattern, and then drilled additional holes in the tube. I did this once before and had to drill holes in the exhaust it self to hold them in, but this time I had a different exhaust and didnt have to do that. I'm sure there must be some other cleverer ways of holding it in. My system is a 4-1 TMS manifold, Miltek cat, and 2tubular 2.75 inch silencer. I have tried to attach pictures with no luck. As I said, I'm sure someone on here could make something way better. Martin ps BRG Pete also has some db reduction tubes in, that you can get off ebay for £10 each. They were to thin for my exhaust but might be better for others, and they already had lost of baffling (holes, etc) work done on them.

Edited by MartinS, 22 February 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#7 BRG_Pete

BRG_Pete

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

Good to hear that you found some that fitted + worked thumbsup

#8 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

Martin, Can you lookup the brand name of the silenser in your catalogue, so i can try to find it's online equivalent?

#9 peterg

peterg

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Cars mostly....

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Demon Tweeks online catalogue here http://publications....12581/00048044/ open the front cover and scroll down the index on page 3 and click on 'Exhausts' page 298 then turn the page over to display 300 and 301 and it's at the top left of page 301 :rolleyes: actually that then refers back to page 298 where the measurements and prices are :blink: :closedeyes: PS: they're called "Decibel Inserts"

Edited by peterg, 22 February 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#10 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

here:

Posted Image

did you have to drill the tailpipes to bolt them in then martin?

#11 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

did you have to drill the tailpipes to bolt them in then martin?

No the whole thing goes inside, and the bolts jack themselves against the inner surface of the pipe. At least THAT IS WHAT MARTIN SAID IN THE OPENING POST :lol: :lol:

#12 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

lol just making sure, im allowed to make mistakes at this time in the day i only just woke up :blush:

#13 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

Online: http://www.demon-twe...code=JETU935130 Then select 2.5" Just ordered a pair. Would be nice to shave a few db off at some pesky tracks.

Edited by smiley, 22 February 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#14 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

Mine were the 2 inch, the simple one at the top of page 301 demon tweeks. I think theyre made by jetex, so might be cheaper elsewhere. As my exhaust has a lip on the inside, I was able to use bolts pushing outwards and up against that lip to hold it in place (length wise its jammed in at the back). If the exhaust hasnt got a lip on the inside you would possibly have to drill holes or find another way of fitting it. Maybe a good look on a fixings web site may show a better solution. Bikes have some very neat set ups, so I do believe someone on here could make something very good and neater than mine. I dont believe there is any noticable power restriction, but with 250, I could lose a couple and not notice anyway I guess. Martin

#15 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Bugger. Thought they were 15 a pop, hence the 2.5 :angry: Ah well, i'll put the 2.5's on ebay. Just purchased the 2". I have a janspeed with a lip, so it should work out.

#16 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'm sure if you explain demon tweeks will refund, theyre pretty good with things like that. martin

#17 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

return charges are not refundable, so ebay is better. Can you take some ficture of the holes, and cut off you made?

#18 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

I'm not sure what you meant in the last post? Martin s

#19 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

"cut them down so they would go in, drilled holes in them and fitted them via bolts that push outwards " How much did you cut off? (if you could measure up what's left of it?) How do you keep the bolts in place? (so they do not fall out?)

#20 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

The amount you cut off, depends on the exhaust you have. Shove in as far as the pipe will go, and mark whats left sticking out, then cut off the appropriate amount so that it goes in as far as it can. As it touches the left wall of the pipe fisrt, it shouldnt reduce flow particularly. How much you want stcking ourside of the original tail pipe is up to you, I left mine longer so it sticks out further as I wanted as much effect as possible. The two pipes wont be the same length.Usually the lower exhaust outlet is slightly shorter. I then cut fine lines in at the inner end of the db reducer and bent in small strips in a crude attempt to break up the airflow. I only drilled holes after my Goodwood sound check, so may not be necessary at all. To hold them in, I put the now cut pipes in to the exhaust, and marked where I would drill holes, just inside my exhausts inner rolled over lip. I drilled the holes and use d bolts to push ouwards inside the exhaust and tight upto the lip. I used double bolts to make sure it was all very secure. The method of securing may vary with each exhaust type, equally there may well be better methods than I used. Martin s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users