• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

I added an ABS cut-off switch quite a while ago but did not take any photos. Then last September I fitted a switch under the front bonnet of Style's VX and remembered to take some photos. After finally clearing up my cameras SD cards I found the photos again.

Usual disclaimer - if you attempt this mod you do so at your own risk, make sure the keys are not in the ignition. Pictures from a VX220 that is right-hand drive. Speedster/LHD will be different.
I will not go into too much detail here as there are better guides available that also detail how to install the switch inside the cabin area for easier access. :lol: Use the fabulous search function to find the guides :glare:

Locate the ABS control module above the front right wheel arch and unplug the wiring bundle. Pull the securing part of the plug to release it. It looks like an oversized scart lead/socket.
Posted Image

Separate the wrapping around the wiring loom and locate the 2 ABS feeds (they should be *yellow/white and *pink/white wrapped around each other) *=going from memory and the photo is not clear enough to tell for certain.
Posted Image

Cut one of the ABS wires (yellow in this case) and connect your switch. Bullet connectors were used here for speed. This switch is from Maplin and includes the On/Off plate.
Posted Image

Once connected, plug the ABS back in and test everything works.
1. ABS switch in ON position, turn ignition on, ABS should be fine - no lights on dash, turn ignition off
2. ABS switch in OFF position, turn ignition on, ABS should be disabled - ABS light on dash, turn ignition off

I moved the towing eye including the rubber grommet to the other side - there should be a hole already. I could have run longer wires to the switch and put the switch elsewhere but the the switch fits neatly into the hole left by the towing eye and the wires are kept short. However, access to the rear of the switch is tight with the brake servo in the way.

Tidy everything up and wrap the wires again. I used plenty of tape and cable ties to keep everything secure.
Posted Image

Edited by Ouchie, 03 April 2010 - 09:45 PM.

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

same as what i did :) and i havent turned it on in over a year. :)

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

As a footnote, it's important to cut into the YELLOW wire specifically, if you cut into another one the ABS will switch off but so will your speedo !

#4 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Posted Image

similar to mine

#5 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

I tried one of those key activated switches but managed to break the key when I was testing it. The keys can be very weak.

#6 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

i have 4 keys so hopefully they wont all break when it comes to getting an MOT :lol:

#7 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

I declared my abs off switch on my insurance, it didn't appear to make any real difference to the premium. I doubt it ups the risk significantly for the insurers. I'd change your pads to mintex first, see if that makes a difference and then try the abs off.

#8 elwill

elwill

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

I declared my abs off switch on my insurance, it didn't appear to make any real difference to the premium. I doubt it ups the risk significantly for the insurers.

I'd change your pads to mintex first, see if that makes a difference and then try the abs off.

If your insurance is anything like mine, they seem to just have generic options, so ABS switch comes under "Brake upgrade", and I think they assume people aren't in the habit of downgrading their brakes, so the increase in premium is negligible.

The change in premium for declaring brake changes for me was £0.

Of course that was from a woman who thought that "track day" was a modification to the car.

#9 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

I fitted an ABS switch about a year ago and I've not turned it off yet :) Got a bit of hard peddle after some spirited driving the other day, wonder if turning my switch will help? :D

#10 Vin5

Vin5

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

I know that this is an old thread, but looking at the next week when I'll try my vx on a track,

I'm a little bit scared by all the problems occurs with the ABS unit..

There's someone that used the vx without abs for a track day?? any experiences? comments?

I'll fit new motec wheels in combination with 205-40r17 and 235-40r17 R888 tyres, and probably the ABS will not work together!

#11 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

The majority of people doing trackdays have the ABS switched off. I'm a trackday newbie and only dared to switch it off after talking to some people telling me what a difference it makes. It does, at least for me. And it's a huge difference. No ABS on track for me anymore, braking is much better without it. If you're worried, just try it. Find a nice open and quiet industrial area or another place where you can try some hard braking. And make sure there's nobody behind you . First try with ABS on and brake progressively so that the weight shift to the front assists the grip you have. Do the same with ABS off. You'll be scared to do the trackday with ABS on instead of off :happy:

#12 furtive

furtive

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

Before I bought my car I looked at a Rabata red one that had been around the block (and this forum) a few times. That had a key to switch the ABS switch on and off, but no matter what position the key was in, the ABS light would not go out (one of the reasons I didn't buy it)

Do TADTS if you fit this switch?

#13 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

I added an ABS cut-off switch quite a while ago but did not take any photos. Then last September I fitted a switch under the front bonnet of Style's VX and remembered to take some photos. After finally clearing up my cameras SD cards I found the photos again.

[color=#FFA500;]Usual disclaimer - if you attempt this mod you do so at your own risk, make sure the keys are not in the ignition. Pictures from a VX220 that is right-hand drive. Speedster/LHD will be different.[/color]
I will not go into too much detail here as there are better guides available that also detail how to install the switch inside the cabin area for easier access. Posted Image Use the fabulous search function to find the guides :glare:

Locate the ABS control module above the front right wheel arch and unplug the wiring bundle. Pull the securing part of the plug to release it. It looks like an oversized scart lead/socket.
Posted Image

Separate the wrapping around the wiring loom and locate the 2 ABS feeds (they should be *yellow/white and *pink/white wrapped around each other) *=going from memory and the photo is not clear enough to tell for certain.
Posted Image

Cut one of the ABS wires (yellow in this case) and connect your switch. Bullet connectors were used here for speed. This switch is from Maplin and includes the On/Off plate.
Posted Image

Once connected, plug the ABS back in and test everything works.
1. ABS switch in ON position, turn ignition on, ABS should be fine - no lights on dash, turn ignition off
2. ABS switch in OFF position, turn ignition on, ABS should be disabled - ABS light on dash, turn ignition off

I moved the towing eye including the rubber grommet to the other side - there should be a hole already. I could have run longer wires to the switch and put the switch elsewhere but the the switch fits neatly into the hole left by the towing eye and the wires are kept short. However, access to the rear of the switch is tight with the brake servo in the way.

Tidy everything up and wrap the wires again. I used plenty of tape and cable ties to keep everything secure.
Posted Image

Do you need to use a switch? Could you just disconnect and reconnect the bullet connectors at will?

#14 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

That is an option.

#15 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

thumbsup I was just thinking I could snip it and leave it but... MOT :(

#16 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

Isn't ironic that something that'll make a car stop in less distance will also make it fail the MOT. I think VOSA should make the VX220 an exception for the MOT light.

#17 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:02 PM

Would removing the abs fuse work?

#18 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:03 PM

You can see the fuse in this link: http://www.vx220.org..._151_139861.jpg

#19 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

Posted Image2015-09-20_12-06-00 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

Edited by gaffer1986, 19 September 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#20 thejoaoserra

thejoaoserra

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

If you remove the fuse 22 you'll also lose speedo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users