Brake Bleeding Issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John Boy

John Boy

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

Changes all four brake hoses for braided ones today, and bled all four courners using the ezibleed system, and all seemed good. However, when depressing the brake pedal, it still goes to the floor, and bubbling can be seen in the brake fluid resevoir. Could there still be air in the system, or do i need to bleed the clutch (where is it?), could there be air in the abs or is the clutch cylinder buggered? Any help greatly appreciated. John

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

Right, you'll need to turn the front calipers upside down, bleed them then bleed again the right way up after. If they still feel spongy after this then you need to find some gravel and lock the front wheels up to activate the abs a couple of time. Obviously be very careful. Then bleed again all round turning the fronts upside down again. You may need to do it a few times. You may as well bleed the clutch while your doing the rest but it wont effect the brakes

#3 John Boy

John Boy

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

Right, you'll need to turn the front calipers upside down, bleed them then bleed again the right way up after. If they still feel spongy after this then you need to find some gravel and lock the front wheels up to activate the abs a couple of time. Obviously be very careful. Then bleed again all round turning the fronts upside down again. You may need to do it a few times. You may as well bleed the clutch while your doing the rest but it wont effect the brakes

Looks like i wont be getting it done tonight! Couple of questions:

Can I be certain the clutch does not have air in it, ie is there a non-return valve on its system?
How can I be sure the master cylinder is in good shape?

Cheers

#4 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

there wont be a valve but as the resevior is at the top the air wont go down into the clutch pipes on there own. You can check just by seeing if the clutch works. Its possible about the master cylinder but id eiminate the chance of it being air. the brakes are notoriously crap to bleed so its best to not let air get in at all when changing fluid. Obviously in your case it cannot be avoided

#5 John Boy

John Boy

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

there wont be a valve but as the resevior is at the top the air wont go down into the clutch pipes on there own. You can check just by seeing if the clutch works.

Its possible about the master cylinder but id eiminate the chance of it being air. the brakes are notoriously crap to bleed so its best to not let air get in at all when changing fluid. Obviously in your case it cannot be avoided

Yea, crap to bleed is an understatement if the procedure you outlined is what is usually done. At least I have tomorrow to do it. Bloody frustrating as the lines went on pretty well. Fiddly to do, but no major dramas. Rears were a positive pleasure!

Down the motor factors for some more brake fluid tomorrow morning and then get rotating!

Cheers ZB.

#6 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

need to do mine i guest joe and vocky will be there to advise me
what are the procedure

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

SELOC Tech Wiki

#8 John Boy

John Boy

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

SELOC Tech Wiki

Useful link that, thanks.

#9 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

If you do draw a decent bit of air in the clutch line by leaving the fluid too low in the res it can be fun to bleed but with 2 people should not be too bad. I also have a pressure bleeder which helps speed things up and tend to still go with the 2 man option with it attached. As stated rotate the fronts when bleeding ;) Also if you have the kit you can back bleed the cluch which can help on mid engineed cars Good luck and sure you will get there ;) DG

#10 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Bit of a bump..

I fear I'm going to be having to rotate my calipers to remove air..

What actually is the practical method for doing this?

I presume I can only do this with a presure bleeder, rather than pumping the brake pedal?

With ezi-bleed take caliper off, rotate, hold upside down and wait for air to pass? - Just to be clear, with the ez-bleed or similar, with the caliper off the car the piston won't clamp into the pad?

#11 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

I have an upside down bleed to do. I was planning on giving the callipers a piece of wood, about the same thickness as the discs, to chew on, while they are disconnected. If you don’t do something like that, the pistons will pop out, as you suspect. If using a pressure bleeder, you will need to take the callipers off and position the wood before applying any pressure.

Edited by Talk-torque, 22 August 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#12 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

Unbolt the caliper and rotate them forward round the disc.

No need for anything extra.

#13 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:17 PM

Ah, thanks Chris. It’s them as knows, that knows!

#14 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

https://wiki.seloc.o...leed_the_brakes

Is the bleeding order correct?  My understanding is longest brake line to shortest is the correct order.  It says OSR, NSR, OSF, NSF.  I would have thought NSR OSR NSF OSF, but then I could be mistaken?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users