281 replies to this topic

#221 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

This thread has been an incredible read over the months and the result is one brilliant vx @ moneyhunter - The GM LS lumps are a compact modern pushrod V8, not sure they are compact enough though I'll have an LS7 please, where do I sign?

Edited by soupdragon, 10 April 2011 - 11:27 PM.

#222 moneyhunster

moneyhunster

Oooh whats this bit do??

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:Bodybuilding, Rc planes, RC Quad flyers, trucks, motorbikes, quad bikes, fast cars, car Audio, Security, computers, business, FPV flying and most of all my girlfriend Lisa

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

Wouldn't the LS7 mean the car would have to be made a bit longer with a new subframe? What gearbox would you use? Can u imagine looking at a LS7 under the boot mesh B)

#223 Ausbuilt

Ausbuilt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

HI, Just wondering as I'm new in the country (moved from Sydney... not for the weather!); how do you get to put a carb engine in a late model car?? what are the laws relating to which year engine/vehicle combo you can use? Also, to the OP, did you keep any templates for the engine mounts and gearbox/engine adapter plate?

#224 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Crackle Free Vinyl, The Universe and how the fcuk we got here :-l

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

This thread has been an incredible read over the months and the result is one brilliant vx

@ moneyhunter - The GM LS lumps are a compact modern pushrod V8, not sure they are compact enough though
I'll have an LS7 please, where do I sign?

Wouldn't the LS7 mean the car would have to be made a bit longer with a new subframe? What gearbox would you use?

Can u imagine looking at a LS7 under the boot mesh B)

LS7 looks boring with all its plastic covers on :P its only cus its got loads of grunt that makes it look nice ;)

You could probley fit one of the new crate engines into the original space with enough £££££s but you would have to get rid of the serpentine belt setup and mod the timing chain cover.

Sam.

#225 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

HI,

Just wondering as I'm new in the country (moved from Sydney... not for the weather!); how do you get to put a carb engine in a late model car?? what are the laws relating to which year engine/vehicle combo you can use?

Also, to the OP, did you keep any templates for the engine mounts and gearbox/engine adapter plate?

Hello,

Any car is MOT,d to whatever is the oldest, the chassis or the engine.
Pre August 1st 1992 is the cut off point, so if you put a 1986 Rover V8 engine into a say 2005 car and it will be MOT,d to 1986 Rover V8 emissions come MOT time.
Same goes if you put a 2005 engine into a 1986 car, it will then be MOT,d to the 1986 car emissions so no CAT needed on the new engine to get through MOT emissions.
I,ve been told you can use upto august 1995 engines to if it was never used in the car by the manufacturer but i carnt confirm if thats correct from experience ;)

There was no templates for the engine mounts, i belive my uncle got his m8 to map out the gearbox/engine adapter into his cnc something or other incase we needed another one as it was time consuming thing to make but im not 100% certain of that :huh:

Sam.

#226 Ausbuilt

Ausbuilt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

HI,

Just wondering as I'm new in the country (moved from Sydney... not for the weather!); how do you get to put a carb engine in a late model car?? what are the laws relating to which year engine/vehicle combo you can use?

Also, to the OP, did you keep any templates for the engine mounts and gearbox/engine adapter plate?

Hello,

Any car is MOT,d to whatever is the oldest, the chassis or the engine.
Pre August 1st 1992 is the cut off point, so if you put a 1986 Rover V8 engine into a say 2005 car and it will be MOT,d to 1986 Rover V8 emissions come MOT time.
Same goes if you put a 2005 engine into a 1986 car, it will then be MOT,d to the 1986 car emissions so no CAT needed on the new engine to get through MOT emissions.
I,ve been told you can use upto august 1995 engines to if it was never used in the car by the manufacturer but i carnt confirm if thats correct from experience ;)

There was no templates for the engine mounts, i belive my uncle got his m8 to map out the gearbox/engine adapter into his cnc something or other incase we needed another one as it was time consuming thing to make but im not 100% certain of that :huh:

Sam.

thanks Sam. Great info.

If your uncle has a CNC template.. I'd be happy to buy a copy of the CNC file; or the actual adaptor...

I'm also wondering how the gearbox input shaft/spigot bearing was handled? Also the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel?

#227 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hiya ausbuilt, My uncles not very keen to sell on any parts as it was never intended to be a kit to sell, its very unlikley it would be a straight fit as there was plenty of angle grinding after that point. Transmission/clutch wise as far as i can remember it was F23 gearbox with 3-4mm spacer under the clutch slave cylinder, Fast road N/A clutch mounted to the standard VX flywheel that had the ring gear cut off and the rover V8 ring gear was bolted to the back of the VX flywheel. There was also an adapter to bolt the VX fly to the Rover crank but tbh i carnt remember how we done that now. The rover ring gear is bigger than the F23 bellhousing so has to be set back into the rover engine webbing and needs a bit of grinding to fit so it ends up engine side of the adapter plate. Im kind of limited by what i can post as my uncle would rather i didnt ;) Sam.

#228 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

Wow great result! Fabrication skills must be amazing to achieve this thumbsup

Edited by ChrisS1, 17 June 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#229 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

I,ve just noticed its been nearly 5 months since the last update and i still dont have a decent video of what she sounds like on a sunny day with the roof of or driving by enthusiasticlly down a country road rallly All i have as an update is that it passed its MOT about 4 weeks ago, dash lights setup was all correct after putting in an ABS light and the emissions was a tad hi at idle even with the 3.5% CO limit :lol: but was soon sorted with tweak of the carb :ninja: Mileage at MOT was around 3200 and nothing has broken, yet! :P The only new Vid i have is from when we last went through the dartford tunnel, with the roof on unfortunately. I will try and make a proper video 1 day! Sam.

#230 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

:rolleyes:

Anybody know of a useable N/A rear clam with very light damage for sale in N/W kent area and a passenger side rear N/A light please ? :)

Posted Image

Hit by a vauxhall corsa hire car in the middle of nowhere :rolleyes:

Still it was about time we took the clam of for a checkup of things :)

Edit: She drove it home 20miles like that too :lol:

Edited by Ground Effect, 26 July 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#231 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

thumbsdown What a mess

#232 ben922

ben922

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Ouch, I think there are a few rear clams on ebay at the mo Edit: Hope she is ok

Edited by ben922, 26 July 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#233 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Bugger. Somebody was just asking about what had happened to this car a few days ago. :( Surely their insurance is paying for it and a new clam is top of the list?

#234 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yeah that ^^

#235 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Bad times. Hope it's a quick turnaround.

#236 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Im really sorry to see this, makes my eyes water Didnt they see you or something, hope its just body damage, looks like it is.

#237 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Ahh man :( . Hope you get it sorted and your auntie is OK.

#238 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Not nice to see... Hope you get it back together quickly and cost free.

#239 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

It was a 10mph or so hit as he was looking the other way at a junction and pulled away into the back of her, he wasnt very apologetic either. Insurance has covered everything financially and my auntie wasnt hurt in any way (even tho her insurance company asked about 5 times if she was sure she didnt have whiplash, something odd going on there) so not all bad, infact it gives us a chance to make some changes! ;) I think my uncle has ideas for a flipup rear clam and a diffrent exhaust if time allows, i,ll post some pics if he goes ahead with it. We wont be able to get the car into the garage for 2 or 3 weeks tho. Sam

#240 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'll have a flip up rear (and front) clam please :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users