670 replies to this topic

#621 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

So got some fancy adapters from the US and found 5mins to myself so thought I'd plumb in my brake bias valve.

Going to grab some fluid tomorrow and bleed the system down again and this time invert the two pot AP's and ten will hopefully get a decent pedal :)

Here's the valve in place - opted for in the front of the car rather than the cabin

Posted Image

#622 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Well the amount of times I've gone to Courtenays from South Wales is depressing!  I've run plenty of 'guess the dyno' figure threads and I've always been gutted by my final figures so decided this time a stealth mission was on the cards :)

As some of you may know I had an odd pulley on my charger.  It was smaller than 3" but not as small as a 2,9" and I never thought that such a small difference in diameter would matter but for one reason or another my last dyno only managed 285bhp at Stage III and less torque than when I was stage II.....  Was pretty gutted to be fair.

Took it to the National last year and it missfired to boot so was very much back to the drawing board for me....

So was convinced it was a fuelling issue hence the fuel system overhaul a few months back which included my Integrated Engineering/044 swirl pot system and during the install found a kinked fuel line.  Replaced all this along with getting a 2,9" pulley and snuck back to Courts today without telling anyone and pressure tested my fuel system :lol:

First run in a baking hot dyno room hit 307bhp so over the moon with that.  Partials all trimmed in lovely and all at about 11psi so no real fear of MAP sensor problems.

Before and after :)

Posted Image

Finally a member of the 300 club!!

Also on a side note, I managed to do a bit of cheeky brake testing in an industrial estate in North Walsham and I HATED THEM :lol:  Servo is defo going back on, Nev was right, needed Hercules to push that pedal :lol:

#623 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

The day for good figures all round

#624 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Good result mate well done ;-)

#625 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

No sign of the missfire too :)

#626 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Nice one mate and awesome result. I would say its the charger that's done it lol

#627 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Great news, I'm glad for you Jimmy, it's always good to see success though adversity. I expect that most of us who do so much tuning and modification suffer from the same highs and lows - I know I do.

#628 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Finally sorted; chuffed to bits for you Jimmy. You will love the extra power and torque.

#629 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Also on a side note, I managed to do a bit of cheeky brake testing in an industrial estate in North Walsham and I HATED THEM :lol:  Servo is defo going back on, Nev was right, needed Hercules to push that pedal :lol:

It's my opinion, (defo opinion only) that the servo assistance is overcome in all track brake applications.  On the road, we become used to a level of assistance and virtually rely upon it, but on track, when 'standing' on the pedal, we do not have any assistance.

Elises don't have servo assistance and they manage to stop on track.

I think what I am trying to say is that I would not rely upon very limited road use, especially when you have most recently driven your servoed tow car, to make the decision upon whether the race car needed a servo.

#630 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

It's my opinion, (defo opinion only) that the servo assistance is overcome in all track brake applications.  On the road, we become used to a level of assistance and virtually rely upon it, but on track, when 'standing' on the pedal, we do not have any assistance.

I think what I am trying to say is that I would not rely upon very limited road use, especially when you have most recently driven your servoed tow car, to make the decision upon whether the race car needed a servo.

An interesting debate as we tried mine without the servo and I hated it on track. There was no feel at all to the pedal, it felt dead and I felt like it had lost all progression. I am used to race cars without servo and had no issues with it till the VX.

#631 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Well done Jimmy glad your please with the results

#632 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Stoked for you dude! Get out and enjoy it!

#633 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Patridge makes a good point but I'm assuming the VX braking setup has been designed around being servo assisted, would the MC not need changing to compensate?

#634 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Makes mine look febal

#635 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Nice one mate and awesome result. I would say its the charger that's done it lol

You might have a point there :)  Said yours was a good un!!

Great news, I'm glad for you Jimmy, it's always good to see success though adversity. I expect that most of us who do so much tuning and modification suffer from the same highs and lows - I know I do.

Cheers Nev, realy hope that's the end of this little saga!!  Dibeni curve at Pembrey will tell me for sure!

Finally sorted; chuffed to bits for you Jimmy. You will love the extra power and torque.

Can't wait to start taming a stage III car for myself.  Only really driven a stage II.  Had a session or two in stage III cars and the power's always been ace but never really gone for it or managed to get into the zone

An interesting debate as we tried mine without the servo and I hated it on track. There was no feel at all to the pedal, it felt dead and I felt like it had lost all progression. I am used to race cars without servo and had no issues with it till the VX.

Yeah a tough one for sure, with no testing time do I turn up at Pembrey with no servo and lose time fitting it if needs be or do I refit it and try disabling it on the day....?

I wonder if the braking force on the master cylinder with just a solid plunger (no servo) is the same as if the servo is mechanically in place and you just remove the vacuum to the unit...?  I imagine you would also have the internal resistance of the diaphragm and spring in the servo to overcome in addition to the normal braking pressure reqiured....?

Well done Jimmy glad your please with the results

Cheers Nick

Stoked for you dude! Get out and enjoy it!

That's kinda the plan now.  No more playing with it, must drive more!!  Forgotten how to do it, lol, not pushed this car since September 2011

#636 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Great news Jimmy. Glad it's all finally delivering what it's meant to. Fingers crossed you'll not need to twat around with it again, for a while. thumbsup

First run in a baking hot dyno room hit 307bhp so over the moon with that.  Partials all trimmed in lovely and all at about 11psi so no real fear of MAP sensor problems.

What's the spec of you engine and exhaust again? Like you, I'm running a 2.9" pulley on mine but I'm getting up to 13.6psi of boost and averaging around the 13psi mark. That said, I'm still on the original MAP sensor from the conversion four years ago and have never had as much as blip from the ECU in all that time, so it's not proved to be a problem.

Posted Image

#637 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hard to develop problems while it's in your garage though.

#638 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Apart from the fact it hasn't been driven in the last 7 months. It's done 23,000 miles and probably 15 trackdays since the conversion. So not exactly untested. Posted Image

#639 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

. Posted Image

Ha ha, BEST smiley ever :lol:

Matt I believe we have the same exhaust.  I went with a 3" Tullet DECAT with secondary silencer.  If you're on the original MAP sensor it would suggest your in the safe zone but then looking at your graph you're right around the 1 bar mark which is about max for this map sensor. 

It could be down to cam timing...?  Do you have adjustable cam timing?  Or maybe my phelonic spacer increases the area in the inlet slightly so maybe reduces pressure slightly (clutching at straws now)....  I think you should come to the National and try it out :)

#640 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Posted Image

I was a bit concerned Techie was cheering up a bit, particularly after the Traveller's incident, but no, pleased to see all is well :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users