670 replies to this topic

#121 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

Well if you can't beat my time in a standard NA done on 80k shocks with a passenger, then you should just give up!

Not so, I've learnt the hard way that intimate knowledge of a track counts for alot more than horsepower!! My old VXR was had about 50hp over Cliffie when I did Castle Combe for hte first time but Cliffiehad raced there loads and whoooped me!!

Out of interest JJ what is the car now insured as?

Still normal road insurance. Doubt I'll insure it again when policy expires.

#122 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

looking good jim i need those wheels i have just fallen in love :wub:

#123 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Girls
    Food

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

looking good jim i need those wheels i have just fell in love :wub:

Too late I had the last set in black! :D

#124 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

all of a sudden that spoiler doesnt look that sh** any more....

i think it looks pretty stunning now :)

i think your missing 1 thing..

a good front splitter like this one

Posted Image

#125 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

Well if you can't beat my time in a standard NA done on 80k shocks with a passenger, then you should just give up!

Not so, I've learnt the hard way that intimate knowledge of a track counts for alot more than horsepower!! My old VXR was had about 50hp over Cliffie when I did Castle Combe for hte first time but Cliffiehad raced there loads and whoooped me!!

That was my first ever time on track. Never got near to the same level of confidence when on my own.
Only been on knockhill 3 times.

In fact, that was about my 12th or 13th lap. thumbsup

Either way, we'll try and get back from the hoon to support you but have a feeling you might be finished by the time we roll in.

edit: are those 17inch wheels? They look mahoosive!

Edited by gbobm, 25 March 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#126 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

all of a sudden that spoiler doesnt look that sh** any more....

i think it looks pretty stunning now :)

i think your missing 1 thing..

a good front splitter like this one

Posted Image

Funnily enough I mailed John Thorne last week to see if he'd do me a super duper deal on one. He wouldn't :(

That was my first ever time on track. Never got near to the same level of confidence when on my own.
Only been on knockhill 3 times.

In fact, that was about my 12th or 13th lap. thumbsup

Either way, we'll try and get back from the hoon to support you but have a feeling you might be finished by the time we roll in.

edit: are those 17inch wheels? They look mahoosive!

17's all round yeah :)

#127 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

ive thought about getting one or making something like it myself, the bottom part is just a bit of plywood so thats no problem its getting the shape of it thats the hard part. how much was he going to charge you for one?

#128 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

Just seen a video from the weekend of a supercharged 211 with a passenger doing a 58sec lap of knockhill. That was with someone getting in the road as well.

There's an initial target for you! thumbsup

p.s. I did it in 66 secs flat out with an instructor in the pax seat. Let's see you beat that time-attack boy! :tt: :lol:

We'll see :P

(insert excuse about tyres....)

I was just dipping under 60 seconds in my first outing after stripping the VXT down for track use, when it weighed around 840kg. Had a motorsport wing, but on the lowest setting and ran out of time to play with the wing and suspension settings. I reckoned 58 second laps were possible in mine, running about 245bhp and 195/225 A048R. Depending on what weight you have got yours down to, getting into the 58s with around 300bhp is doable.

#129 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Just seen a video from the weekend of a supercharged 211 with a passenger doing a 58sec lap of knockhill. That was with someone getting in the road as well.

There's an initial target for you! thumbsup

p.s. I did it in 66 secs flat out with an instructor in the pax seat. Let's see you beat that time-attack boy! :tt: :lol:

We'll see :P

(insert excuse about tyres....)

I was just dipping under 60 seconds in my first outing after stripping the VXT down for track use, when it weighed around 840kg. Had a motorsport wing, but on the lowest setting and ran out of time to play with the wing and suspension settings. I reckoned 58 second laps were possible in mine, running about 245bhp and 195/225 A048R. Depending on what weight you have got yours down to, getting into the 58s with around 300bhp is doable.

What about a 265bhp VX on road tyres...? If I'm sub 1min I think I'll be happy with this setup, but I'll see what my tyres are like next week before I start thinking of comparing my time to the 56.042 Jamie did in his 300bhp Supercharged Honda S1 Exige on 888's.

#130 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

Here are ya pat butcher rings!!

Posted Image

#131 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

What about a 265bhp VX on road tyres...? If I'm sub 1min I think I'll be happy with this setup, but I'll see what my tyres are like next week before I start thinking of comparing my time to the 56.042 Jamie did in his 300bhp Supercharged Honda S1 Exige on 888's.

My turbo when standard and on Bridgestones would do easy 63 second laps all day long. So into the 59s would be a sensible target I think. Weight is more important than outright power at Knockhill, as in spite of having 2 long straights for such a short circuit the real time is made on corner and exit speed on the mid-section from Duffus to Clarks (sorry, don't know the current sponsor names for these bends).

And don't be too disheartened by your initial times, as so many of the corner exits are blind that you need time to learn which part of the scenery you point the car at to guarantee staying on the circuit on exit, especially at the Chicane. Finding someone in practice who knows the circuit and following them should instantly find you a couple of seconds.

#132 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

My Hofmann's spec Nitrons have been sold, and I've ordered a set of these bad boys :groupjump: Sex wee

Posted Image

#133 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

Interesting...what made you go for 17s all round rather than the standard 16/17 ? In fact what tyres have you got on the front ? I presume the rears are 225/45/17 ?

#134 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:16 AM

Interesting...what made you go for 17s all round rather than the standard 16/17 ? In fact what tyres have you got on the front ? I presume the rears are 225/45/17 ?

215/45/17 front 245/40/17 rear. I had a run in with a Belgian Speedster on this setup at Abbeville and I was very impressed by his setup. Also Time Attack have stipulated we use Pirelli tyres and there were better tyres available in these sizes.

#135 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

do ats do them in 16's?

#136 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Girls
    Food

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

Did you have to raise your rear rideheight at all as mine touched the bodywork on the old settings :( I've just had a geo at BoT and can only get slightly below standard

#137 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

You just need this now buddy... http://classifieds.s...ar-transporter/

#138 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

"Not so, I've learnt the hard way that intimate knowledge of a track counts for alot more than horsepower!! My old VXR was had about 50hp over Cliffie when I did Castle Combe for hte first time but Cliffie had raced there loads and whoooped me!!" Actually Jimmy, at 250BHP you had 90BHP more tham me at Combe as I was running 160BHP. Track knowledge and confidence counts for a huge amount. Wait till you get to Anglesey and then we will see how much quicker you run against the oppo at a circuit you know well.

Edited by Cliffie, 21 April 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#139 tut

tut

• Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Road runs in Scotland, trackdays.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hi Jimmy, recognised your car from the before pictures. I last saw it in the field when I stopped to help Kevin out, as it was me he was following home. Great to see that it went back onto the road again, and a fantastic job you have done with it, especially putting it in the Time Attack series. I may see you if I come down to KH on the 14th, and happy to help you out with some sighting laps. I am lapping in 57-58 secs on track days in my Elise S1 S/C Honda, but I have done over 100 track days there. Cheers tut

#140 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

Hi Jimmy, recognised your car from the before pictures. I last saw it in the field when I stopped to help Kevin out, as it was me he was following home.

Great to see that it went back onto the road again, and a fantastic job you have done with it, especially putting it in the Time Attack series. I may see you if I come down to KH on the 14th, and happy to help you out with some sighting laps. I am lapping in 57-58 secs on track days in my Elise S1 S/C Honda, but I have done over 100 track days there.

Cheers

tut

Tut, the legend! Imnotworthy

Jimmy, listen to this man. If anyone knows how to go baws-oot at KH it's tut! thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users