117 replies to this topic

#21 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

How do I upload a pdf? Done it but cant upload.

#22 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

You can't. Software doesn't support pdf files. :(

#23 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

But you could stick it on the wikisite and link to it, or I can if you can't - send me the document

#24 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

Now immortalised in PDF format on the Wikisite :)

wikisite fuel pump replacement guide

#25 Peenee

Peenee

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

This is a great guide and certainly helped, especially for opening up the fuel pump housing. I bought my high pressure pump from CMS and now it's fitted I've instantly noticed a distinct whine from the pump that wasn't there when the standard pump was fitted. Ok, so I'm paranoid, but when you've had the bottom of the car off, replaced the pump and tank whilst laying on your back with 18" between the floor and the underside of the car, it's enough to make anyone paranoid! Can anyone reassure me that the high pressure pump does make more noise than the standard one? P.S. there's not much petrol in the tank at the moment, so the pump isn't totally submerged, which might make it noisier???

#26 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

It does indeed make slightly more noise than the standard pump, though not noticeable when the engine is running. So, nothing to worry about. thumbsup

#27 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

Any one had a problem after the new pumps fitted getting the fuel pumping. I diagnosed my starting problem to the fuel pump and got the uprated one and following this splendid guide replaced the old pump - boy was my old filter clogged and full of black debris in the pump housing as well. All fitted back and when I turn on the ignition I can now hear the pump priming. However, when I check the fuel pressure not an dribble of fuel. So took off the P fuel line at pump again and fuel is dribbling out. So suspect its actually pumping fuel. However, nothing happens when I press the valve on the fuel line above Engine. I suspect some type of air blockage - just can't work out how to bleed it if the fuel is not pumping. Worst case - but I'd be surprised, is that the fuel filter is blocked as well! The car is a 2001 VX220 with 18000 miles on clock. Ah, I am also in Australia and owned car from new in UK. Any suggestions?

#28 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Does the car run?

#29 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

there is only fuel pressure for a few seconds when the ignition is first switched on and then only when the engine is running with the new pumps thumbsup

#30 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hi Car does not run. So I got no pressure at all and engine won't fire. Prior to replacing fuel Pump I had it starting then failing and EML coming on. Can't get diagnositic reading - scan gauge won't connect - i.e. keeps saying connecting, tried all the force codes as well.

#31 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

I doubt the pump is to blame if it is going through the priming cycle OK. This sounds like a problem that started with the failure of your old pump. Can you remove a fuel line and see if it is pumping through to the rail?

#32 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

might be worth checking the fuel pump relay thumbsup ps: you did remove the grey and red end caps on the new pump before fitting it and fit a jubilee clip to the fuel line where it joins the new pump :unsure:

#33 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

Swapped Relays from front and no change. removed Caps, but did not use jubilee clip as I fitted new pipe using a heat gun. Tested by pulling hard and wriggling a few times once cooled and seemed fine. Does the pump shut down once pressure is reached? I don't understand why when I press the release valve on the fuel pipe I don't get a jet of oil or hear any air! Anyway I undid the fuel pipe into the Injection rail and no fuel flows - next step I think is to take pump out again and double check every thing. If it still does not pump fuel to the rail, then it can only be the fuel filter - right?

#34 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

Is there any way the pump could have been operated or run dry? I suggest taking the pump out and trying it before refitting it but do not run it dry. You should see fuel coming out of the feedpipe and you should get pressure on the rail. Try the filter but I would doubt it has been that blocked.

#35 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for help. Took pump out and found the new feed pipe had worked loose. So fitted a jubilee clip and hey presto I now have fuel pressure - had a bit of a miss fire, after pumping fuel through for a bit - nor re-charging battery - fingers crossed!

#36 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

NO luck What I get is if I press the fuel cut off switch, and try starting - it fires, runs for a few seconds and cuts out. Press fuel cut off again and try - no start. So then I remove fuse to rest EML leave for 20- 30 mins and try again after pressing fuel cut off switch again - same thing runs then stops. Battery is fully charged, and it has a Battery status indicator - which is green. Any thoughts?

#37 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Try bypassing the fuel cut out switch by joining the two wires together. It is not a pump issue though.

#38 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

is the eml flashing whilst pushing the starter button ? because it does sound like an immobiliser issue :unsure:

#39 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

Still go to try the bypass trick, but checked the flashing EML - it does not flash.

#40 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Right - Xmas over - finaly got round to having another go. Thats over 3 months off the road. Good job I live in CBD. So shorting the fuel Cut off didn't make any difference. S till starts but then stops after a few seconds - Rest by bremoving fuse ad same thing happens. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users