84 replies to this topic

#41 Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Honey

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

I have been pondering whether to write this or not... so here goes (all in my opinion / experience of course): I've owned the VX 4 years now. I went to the 16/17 combo at the beginning of year 2 of ownership and can honestly say its taken the best part of a further 2 years to get the handling to be anything as good as it was with the standard factory format of 17/17, suspension & geo. The standard suspension, tyres (yes bridgies) and wheel size are pretty damn good. But you don't realise how good until you start fiddling and changing it all :) Although saying that, I have now finally achieved hedonism. Tyres - R888's = perfection Brakes - Carbone Lorraine C5+ = perfect, absolutely no ABS issues Suspension - GAZ = looks good lowered, firm ride almost severe on unsmooth roads Geo - Plans Motorsport = fast road set-up If I knew then what I know now I would have stayed with the standard 17/17. Mind you, the single bestest 'mod' you can add to the vx (IMO!) is R888's.......... :lol:

#42 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the input Penny. It's good that you have explained your thoughts as maybe I won't expect that much of an improvement from changing to 16/17 combo & stickier tyres. I'm mainly wanting to change for 2 reasons. Always loved the 5 spoke style & then I can fit the Yoko A048 LTS spec tyres from vxr/exige cup. Also gives much more choice for the future tyre wise if I want to try something else next time. I've already got Mintex 1155's all round so hopefully I won't have a problem brakes wise as have read that some people have had to change to the exige abs unit. Are you still on the standard abs unit then? I'll have to wait for suspension & see how it is on standard vxt billys first I think & decide when funds allow. Are you on Gaz Nickels or Gaz Golds out of interest? chinky chinky

#43 Steve B

Steve B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Cars

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

Mind you, the single bestest 'mod' you can add to the vx (IMO!) is R888's.......... :lol:

Can't say I agree with super sticky tyres really.

Yes they do allow you to corner faster and brake harder.

However at the same time they do make cars almost idiot proof. You can get away with really bad driving and choice of lines that would have you spinning into the scenery if you did it with regular tyres, I think they make people lazy. I had them on my MX5 track car and it was only when I started using my VX on road tyres on track did it make me realise how slack I'd got. Tracks seemed to gain corners that were not there when using R888s.

#44 Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

I think they must be the GAZ Nickels as the Golds weren't a choice back then thumbsup

I was using 1144's all round and did have ABS issues (standard unit), ice mode kicking in etc. but since using Carbone Lorraines its been puuuurfect. In fact, with the ABS switched off the CL's lock up at 70mph with a sneeze :o so I have the ABS on all the time and its tip-top. Very happy.

Yep, I changed for the looks and the tyre choice. I just didn't realise or appreciate quite what was involved when leaving the standard set-up behind. More money!!

I'm sure you'll get it sussed chinky chinky

Mind you, the single bestest 'mod' you can add to the vx (IMO!) is R888's.......... :lol:

Can't say I agree with super sticky tyres really.

Yes they do allow you to corner faster and brake harder.

However at the same time they do make cars almost idiot proof. You can get away with really bad driving and choice of lines that would have you spinning into the scenery if you did it with regular tyres, I think they make people lazy. I had them on my MX5 track car and it was only when I started using my VX on road tyres on track did it make me realise how slack I'd got. Tracks seemed to gain corners that were not there when using R888s.

Definitely not idiot proof or being lazy.

One only needs to use 888's in the damp or wet to know.

R888's for me, are a God send. I'm running 302bhp with 360lbs of torque. Getting the power down in the dry is a mission on 'normal' tyres. And strangely enough I do want to corner faster and have optimum braking.
But hey, thats just me chinky chinky

Edited by Penny, 04 November 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#45 Steve B

Steve B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

Definitely not idiot proof or being lazy.

One only needs to use 888's in the damp or wet to know.

They are a track tyre, if you read the label that comes on them it states they should not be used at low temperatures. If using them for purpose i.e on track when up to operating temperature they are basically idiot proof, they stick like glue. They stick to the extend your toelinks can snap before the tyres slide. chinky chinky

Edited by Steve B, 04 November 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#46 Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hang on a minute. You said they were idiot proof. I didn't read the bloody label. What an idiot. What the hell am I (and all the other idiots on this forum using R888's on the road in all weather) think we are doing? Gosh, its just as well you came along to educate us :grouphug: :lol:

Edited by Penny, 04 November 2010 - 09:50 PM.

#47 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks a lot for the input, bet your car is seriously quick with over 300bhp & that torque figure is thumbsup I don't see the problem with using the best tyres available for grip whether on the road or the track. Mine is only a fair weather second car anyway so want the most grip possible when I use it. I doubt I would be going to Yoko A048's if I used it everyday through the winter. Anyway going back to the topic, the figures I copied & pasted earlier up in this thread from Penny's link for the offset's for the vxr speedlines hopefully are correct? Also taking opinions on this thread into account as well we have 2 choices as I see it for the best fit. Front 7x16 et23 (as vxr speedlines) OR et20 (maybe gives better clearance if going 4 pots) Rear 8x17 et30 (as vxr speedlines & seems to be recommended for better inner arch clearance) All 110 5 stud PCD and 65.1 Centre Bore chinky chinky again for everybody's advise & hopefully we can get more people on the group buy.

Edited by iVXT, 05 November 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#48 Steve B

Steve B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

Front 7x16 et20 (maybe gives better clearance if going 4 pots)
Rear 8x17 et30 (as vxr speedlines & seems to be recommended for better inner arch clearance)

All 110 5 stud PCD and 65.1 Centre Bore

If I order, thats what i'll be going for. Going to mull over bothering or not whilst on holiday this week, think I still prefer the TD's and they are lighter but a 2nd set, easy to clean with winter tyres and at such an amazing price... it is tempting :)

#49 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Front 7x16 et20 (maybe gives better clearance if going 4 pots)
Rear 8x17 et30 (as vxr speedlines & seems to be recommended for better inner arch clearance)

All 110 5 stud PCD and 65.1 Centre Bore

If I order, thats what i'll be going for. Going to mull over bothering or not whilst on holiday this week, think I still prefer the TD's and they are lighter but a 2nd set, easy to clean with winter tyres and at such an amazing price... it is tempting :)

Go on, you know you want to add your name onto the group buy ;) TD's are lighter as you say but imho Comp's should be a stronger wheel & there still nearly 7kg a set lighter than standard alloys thumbsup

chinky chinky

#50 RYN

RYN

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Still think im going to go for et20 at the front just incase I do go for bigger breaks some where down the line. But im still undecided on the rear! I think it might be best to stick with the standard offset of et35 but saying that the wheel is wider than standard. But as people have said if vaux did it on the vxr with 8j et 35 on the rear it must be the better option?? So what is everyone going for ?

#51 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

Still think im going to go for et20 at the front just incase I do go for bigger breaks some where down the line.
But im still undecided on the rear!

I think it might be best to stick with the standard offset of et35 but saying that the wheel is wider than standard. But as people have said if vaux did it on the vxr with 8j et 35 on the rear it must be the better option??

So what is everyone going for ?

There seems to be some people saying the rear vxr speedline is et30 & some saying it's et35.

I don't know for certain which is correct but after reading sizetenboots & penny's posts of there previous experiences I think we should go with what I said above of front et20 & rear et30.

Of course if anybody has anymore info otherwise please post.

chinky chinky

Edited by iVXT, 06 November 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#52 RYN

RYN

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

so anymore info on this?

#53 RYN

RYN

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

So its not long now before the order will go through so what are the offsets that eveyone are going for?

#54 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

I would expect that 20 front 30 rear should be good. My Compo's are et20 front, et35 rear and are fine. However 5 m/m wider per side at the rear surely can't cause any problems and will give a little more margin for avoiding rubbing on the inner arches. Paul

#55 RYN

RYN

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

I would expect that 20 front 30 rear should be good.

My Compo's are et20 front, et35 rear and are fine. However 5 m/m wider per side at the rear surely can't cause any problems and will give a little more margin for avoiding rubbing on the inner arches.

Paul

How are you finding yours now they have been on a while? notice any rubbing on the inner arch?

#56 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

I am having no rubbing problems at all. On reflection I would still go for et30 rears just to be sure. I am really surprised at how many people have commented on how cool my wheels are. I never got as much attention when I had TD's. The Compos were bought to be easy to clean, that they are considered cool is a bonus.... Paul

#57 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

Just for info: those of us running ATS DTC's use the following 7.5 x 17 et20 fronts 9.0 x 17 et30 rears 215/45 x 17 fronts 245/40 x 17 rears I haven't had any rubbing issues but running std suspension/ride height You can get the 215's rubbing on the inside on lock, but that's a simple mod Crabash is running R888's on his DTC's on Nitrons (I think) and has been really happy with this set up

#58 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:22 AM

Wow,totally different wheel and tyre sizes to the typical ones used in the UK. Please advise the handling characteristics with this set up. Paul

#59 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Ok guys I've been in touch with Chris at Speedline who has been very helpful & given me all the original specs of the VXR wheels which are 2x Front 7x16" ET25, 5x110 pcd, 65.1mm centre bore (Speedline Corse Type 2110 SL1430) 2x Rear 8x17" ET33, 5x110 pcd, 65.1mm centre bore (Speedline Corse Type 2110 SL1445) So none of the previous dimensions we had were right but weren't that far off really. So now people can take their choice in the group buy if they want the exact fit of the VXR wheels order as detailed above or if you want a few more mm inner arch clearance & a bit wider track go for 2x Front 7x16" ET20, 5x110 pcd, 65.1mm centre bore 2x Rear 8x17" ET30, 5x110 pcd, 65.1mm centre bore I did ask just on the off chance if they would make any more sets & they said that they would need an order of 100 wheels to get them cast in Italy at the factory (for the rears) but funnily they have some fronts left! So best to stick with the Compomotives then as only need a few more sets now to get our discount & they are lighter weight as well. Hope this helps everybody. chinky chinky

#60 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Wow,totally different wheel and tyre sizes to the typical ones used in the UK.

Please advise the handling characteristics with this set up.

Paul

Excellent handling thumbsup
Turn in is much improved, grip levels are in another league
I used to frequently drift the vx on the standard rims/tyres wet and dry but your going a lot faster to do the same with this set up
The lighter rims also improve the ride, for example, we have a lot of those raised ribs around here and they are a lot less noticeable

I have yet to fit my first choice tyre the R1R's as the rears weren't available when I needed them, so just running falkens as a stop gap.
I was worried that the wider tyres would be a problem in the wet but having run a lot of miles now in 'monsoon' conditions I can report excellent grip in standing water, minor floods and the occasional river !! I'm planning to run the Falkens through until spring now and revisit the R1R's then.

ABS hasn't been a problem either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users