• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kingwowns

kingwowns

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

I use the M6 northbound from the M42 to the inbound A38(M) quite a bit - not always keeping to 70...never a problem with cameras. Tonight the variable (not average) speed signs on the gantries weren't on, but there were signs saying "patchy fog - slow down". No fog mind! So, I carried on at the same speed and went under a gantry doing about 87. I saw a flash and seeing as I was the fastest out of all the lanes of traffic I guess it would be me that triggered it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Did you get a ticket or were you sh1tting it for 2 weeks but nothing thru the post? Cheers

#2 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,124 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

I thought that the cameras only worked when the variable limit was used i.e. the new speed limit was being displayed. I didn't think they worked when the limit was 70 mph but may be wrong.

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,969 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

I tripped a camera at the very bottom of the Southbound M6 toll where it sort of turns into the M42 for a few miles before becoming the M6 again. It was the first of the variable cameras on that section and I was doing a similar speed to you with no variable limit in effect. Saw a double flash and thought cheeky feckers but still nothing through the door after a month+. So, wonder whether there's something wrong with that one (saw it flash someone again the other day) or, if it's just set up to scare people.

#4 VXTlover

VXTlover

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

The missus got flashed in this way 6 months ago...nothing.

#5 MellowYellow

MellowYellow

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

Even if you get a letter giving 14 days notice of intended prosecution, unless it comes through by registered post, don't answer it, I learnt through experience that "doing what you think you have to" doesn't pay. Even if the letter comes by registered post you do not have to accept it, likewise if you aren't in and have one of the Royal Mails favourite notes "you weren't in, please go to ...." when you go to the collection point (you may have also ordered something that needs a signature, especially this time of year) you can ask to see what it is they have for you and if it looks like a Notice just walk away, it'll stay in there for a while before being returned to who sent it giving you a few more days into the 14 day period.
Word of warning though serial offenders will get a visit if Notices are continually ignored, remember,you can't negotiate with a camera and the law of averages says that if you speed and take the chance the camera isn't loaded with film or the authority who is responsible for it won't be ar*ed to send the NIP through by registered post eventually all of these factors will fall into place and you will get done. After driving for over 25 years (not continually before the smart ar*es start) I've been stopped numerous times for "appearing to be going to fast", on most of the occasions I most definitely was but as they couldn't prove it and I wouldn't admit to it (without being cocky to the police officers face-be humble and diplomatic) I have got away with only two speeding offences.
These offences are where I learned my lessons, the first one was an unmarked car-well into ban territory but after major grovelling I managed to negotiate it down to a fixed penalty and 3 points (prosecuted for 96mph on the M5 southbound, was actually well over that but the copper was a fair bloke taking the conditions and the car I was driving into consideration), the second one was where I learnt (after legal advice) not to automatically respond to a notice, a temp camera on a bridge, more than twice the legal posted limit and I HAD to attend Staffordshire County Court, bringing someone with me who could drive me home if the ruling was a straight ban :o , it nearly cost me my job, it did cost me 6 points and £400.00 fine which is why I never take chances with cameras, or potential camera sites now.
The best advice is to get a subscription to a speed camera database (one that is updated weekly-especially if you do a lot of miles), always take notice of the posted limit on the gantries and stay within 10% of whatever speed is posted, never be complacent, the fear of loosing my licence and the implications it would have had on every aspect of my life has made me realise that it just isn't worth the chance.
All of the above is based on major A roads and motorways, I know certain aspects apply to speeding full stop (ie you can't always anticipate what is going to happen outside of your control etc etc), but going fast in built up areas is something completely different, having the death of a child/person on your conscience because of your actions is something I know I couldn't live with so just be careful, the limits are there for a reason even if it is just to control the traffic flow as on the M6/M42.

#6 kingwowns

kingwowns

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Cheers for the feedback guys - I'll post if I receive anything or nothing! I don't exceed the limits in built up areas - I go a bit quicker on the motorway but only when it's safe to do so... Ta!

#7 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

Too many cameras / flashes / rules / regulations rant

#8 stephendelaney

stephendelaney

• 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

Sunday morning 12/12/2010. I was doing 78-80 and someone over taking on outside lane of m6 northbound and the gantry just before the m42 entry flashed several times. No variable speed limit on any gantrys. Will i get a ticket?

#9 kingwowns

kingwowns

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

3 weeks and I've had nothing yet... Howeever, it was in a company van, which means it may still be in the post, just being redirected. If anything this weather helps you out - if you don't get it in 14 days, they can't serve you with it! Cheers

#10 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

3 weeks and I've had nothing yet...

Howeever, it was in a company van, which means it may still be in the post, just being redirected.

If anything this weather helps you out - if you don't get it in 14 days, they can't serve you with it!

Sorry but thats wrong...

If the vehicle is not registered to you at your home address i\e a company vehicle, rental vehicle ect they can serve the NIP to you with it at any time without limit.

Also if there is a postal strike or extreme adverse weather that had beyond their control delayed the NIP beyond 14 days as long as they have taken all reasonable steps to try to serve you with it again the '14 day' rule does not apply.

Edited by MrSimba, 13 December 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#11 kingwowns

kingwowns

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yeah - I kinda knew that there's no 14 day time limit on the redirection of an NIP. I didn't know that they can extend the time if the post is buggered by snow! Oh well.

#12 kingwowns

kingwowns

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

Just called the hire company and they've confirmed that no tix have come through for the car in question, therefore looks like I'm good! Anyway - looks like speed cameras do work - as I'm keeping below 80 on the M6 from now on!

#13 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

Result! thumbsup chinky chinky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users