8 replies to this topic

#1 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

Is there a diagram showing the oil flow around the block? I'm particularly interested in the direction of flow. Thanks

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

It goes up the oil pick up pipe, through the lower block craddle, into the oil pump, out of the pump to the side of the engine (it would normally go to the oil filter but this route is blocked off on the vx220), into the oil cooler, out of the cooler into the oil filter, out of the oil filter into the main oil galleries of the block and also through a restrictor into the head. inside the block it feeds the rear bearings of the balancer shafts, the main bearings, the big end bearings, the front balancer shaft bearings, the balancer shaft chain tensioner and the oil jet the head oilways feed the main chain tensioner, auxillary drive (blanked off on the vx220), cam bearings and hydraulic lifters other than that I haven't a clue

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

all i know is , i pour it in the top, and it leaks out the bottom

#4 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

It goes up the oil pick up pipe, through the lower block craddle, into the oil pump, out of the pump to the side of the engine (it would normally go to the oil filter but this route is blocked off on the vx220), into the oil cooler, out of the cooler into the oil filter, out of the oil filter into the main oil galleries of the block and also through a restrictor into the head.

inside the block it feeds the rear bearings of the balancer shafts, the main bearings, the big end bearings, the front balancer shaft bearings, the balancer shaft chain tensioner and the oil jet

the head oilways feed the main chain tensioner, auxillary drive (blanked off on the vx220), cam bearings and hydraulic lifters

other than that I haven't a clue

Is the pressure sensor on a veccy where the VX return pipe feeds in from the oil cooler?

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

the astra/vectra/zafira have the oil pressure sender where the oil leaves the block and goes to the vx220 oil cooler the vx220 has the oil pressure sender after the oil cooler where the oil enters the oil filter assembly

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Ah, its flowing opposite the way I thought. Having had a quick glance at the saab block and the Z22 block I wondered about fitting the saab oil cooler to the Z22 block. My mind then wandered over to putting fittings into the bosses on the Z22 filter housing for the hose / pressure switch to bin off the sandwich plate. Although there are now seals available the sandwich plate seal issue will rear up again. Just thought I'd look at alternatives.

#7 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

the saab uses the standard z22se plastic oil filter cap, it also has the oil pressure switch in the same place as the astra/vectra/zafira. there is a steel tube inserted into the block from the side of the oil filter housing - this diverts the oil into the saab oil cooler (the vx220 blanking device would be removed if converting it to a saab oil cooler), then the oil cooler returns the oil into the oil filter via a hole in the side of the oil filter housing. The saab oil cooler bolts to the block with three M8 bolts, simply drilled and tapped. so yes you could convert a z22se to the saab oil cooler, but the engine would need to come out of the car thumbsup

#8 VX-GT

VX-GT

me-thin-king

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Ah, its flowing opposite the way I thought. Having had a quick glance at the saab block and the Z22 block I wondered about fitting the saab oil cooler to the Z22 block. My mind then wandered over to putting fittings into the bosses on the Z22 filter housing for the hose / pressure switch to bin off the sandwich plate.

Although there are now seals available the sandwich plate seal issue will rear up again. Just thought I'd look at alternatives.

I would be simplier and cheaper to get a Saab Block you would also have the advantage of oil jets

All internals are interchangeable from vx & saab

#9 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Oh yes indeed. My investigation was an idea that everyone can use. I do appreciate the engine would need to come out and the risk of swarf but thought I'd at least look into it. I will be using the saab block myself for the oiler jets etc. If the inflow to the filter housing is from the sandwich plate can we not just put a fitting into the filter housing on one of the bosses?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users