• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

For the last couple of years my rattling drivers side window has been driving me up the wall but being a lazy bugger it's taken until now to do something about it :rolleyes: What's more it only cost me the princely sum of £4.49 and a couple of hours :beat:

The problem was the plastic lugs that are bonded to the glass have little raised bits to keep things tight and rattle free but these wear out. I know others have done a solution to this that requires removal of the window, heating the lugs while clamping them thus closing the gap, but I really didn't want to take the window out so came up with my own solution.

Start off by having a good look down into the door at the lugs to see how much of a gap have opened up in them. I decided some mini trunking, that'll be the £4.49, had the correct thickness, the stuff I got was 10x16mm, although the bit you'll eventually use is about 1mm thick plus the adhesive strip that was already attached. Pull the two parts of the trunking apart as you only need the bit with the sticky on it.

Wont go through getting the door panels off as it's been covered. To remove the rear rail just undo screw at the top of the rail, then unscrew the two little, erm, screws that hold the lower adjuster. The rail will now be free, I then undid the adjuster (anticlockwise) to remove it from the rail because I couldn't pull the rail out with it attached. If you can get it out without removing the adjuster you'll save yourself the frustrating and for me time consuming job of lining it up and screwing it in, while inside the door.

First off cut the trunking down to size, handily the adhesive strip was the correct width so was a good guide.

Posted Image

I then drilled a hole right at the bottom of the rail to bolt the trunking as a fail-safe but not sure if it's strictly necessary. After cleaning the rail with white spirit I stuck the trunking to the rail with the attached adhesive strip.

Posted Image

Then all you have to do is put the rail back, as I said before the worse thing was the bloody adjuster but apart from that just make sure rail sits in the window lugs and you've got full movement. Also it makes sense to adjust the window while all the door panels are off.

Posted Image

Think that's everything :unsure: Winding has ever so slightly more resistance but nothing to be worried about, but this does mean no more bloody rattling :groupjump:

Edited by VXT'ED, 20 July 2011 - 06:52 PM.

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

What time are you working tomorrow? I'll be around the soon as you've finished. :)

#3 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

Knew you'll be interested in this. It really was easy Matt, I had more problems getting the door panels off than doing the actual job. I expect you to have it done before LM.

#4 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

Oh and forgot to say how nice it was closing the door without thinking the window was about to smash :D

#5 Pink Princess

Pink Princess

Please talk slowly...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Interests:Email nmclements@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

Well done :D Brill How to :D

#6 Ben NA

Ben NA

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

Awesome how to! Cheers for taking the time to do it. I'll give that a bash this weekend. That's one of the most annoying things about my car and makes such a racket over bumps, even with the windows up!

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

It really was easy Matt, I had more problems getting the door panels off than doing the actual job. I expect you to have it done before LM.

Yeah, I've started those "easy" jobs before. Think that's how my total suspension refresh started. :beat:

#8 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

If I didn't make a pigs ear of it you'll have no trouble. :)

#9 H1 HWK

H1 HWK

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Thanks VXT'ed,thumbsup I've had mine apart before and failed to get much of an improvement (but hands that looked like I'd been juggling barbed wire), will give this a go when I'm feeling brave. What new rattle can you hear, now that you've cured the windows?:rolleyes:

#10 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

I think I'll look into curing my window rattle noises once the weather improves. Currently my pax window can be wound up to any amount so needs the stopper to be tightened and both windows rattle when open/going over bumps and open/closing doors.

Nice little guide, made all the better with that last picture!

Cheers Taz Posted Image

#11 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

How handy. That picture shows it all. VERY useful thumbsup

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Well, in a moment of weakness and obviously, utter boredom, VXT'ED volunteered to pop over to my place and try his fix on my rattly old windows that I've been ignoring in the hope they'd fix themselves, at some point. Clearly, I was never going to turn an offer like that down. We had a slight scare when the little M5x12 screw at the top of the passenger side glass guide rounded off but the application of a big screwdriver and a decent bit of weight behind it managed to remove it (it was threadlocked, just to help things further). So, might be worth making sure you've got a couple of stainless replacements to hand. Better news is that the guide, with the complete adjuster mechanism at the bottom can, with some manipulation, be removed through the top of the door, which made refitting the guide easier. It works!!! I reckon 90% of the rattles from both windows are now solved. Still a slight bit of play in the front glass guides but the beefed up rear guides seem to have pretty much stopped any movement unless I specifically try to wobble them. I think the only occasional rattle I have left on the drivers side window is actually play in the winder mechanism itself which will presumably need considerably more pain to actually sort. Bonus points are it actually feels like a proper window when winding it up/down now and not some loose connection to something in another town and that when shutting the door, it no longer feels like I'm about to get a face full of shattered glass. Well chuffed. Thanks Dave, you're a gentleman. thumbsup

#13 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

Just need to fix that whine from behind the drivers seat now :lol:

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Just need to fix that whine from behind the drivers seat now :lol:

I'm hoping this fix will at least help ease the whine from the passenger seat. :lol:

I've now got seemingly the entire range of Vauxhall airboxes in the garage to try and find an acceptable compromise for the other whine. thumbsup

#15 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

Dave, your CV boot is in and will be with me next Tuesday, thanks for the loan. Maybe when we hook up we could look at my windows... :happy:

#16 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

Matt your more than welcome, I'm glad it worked as well for yours as it did for mine. thumbsup Cliffie, I'll hopefully be passing in the next couple of weeks so will give you some warning and pick up the boot then and if we've both got time I'll see about that window :)

#17 Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

What time are you working tomorrow? I'll be around the soon as you've finished. :)

:yeahthat:

#18 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

:yeahthat:

:lol: do it yourself, it really is very easy and soo worth the effort thumbsup Come to think of it we could do a "workshop" at the next Beds meet :lol:

#19 hutchy

hutchy

• PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

Sounds like a great idea, where would one get this 'trunking'?

#20 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

Well, in a moment of weakness and obviously, utter boredom, VXT'ED volunteered to pop over to my place and try his fix on my rattly old windows that I've been ignoring in the hope they'd fix themselves, at some point. Clearly, I was never going to turn an offer like that down.

We had a slight scare when the little M5x12 screw at the top of the passenger side glass guide rounded off but the application of a big screwdriver and a decent bit of weight behind it managed to remove it (it was threadlocked, just to help things further). So, might be worth making sure you've got a couple of stainless replacements to hand. Better news is that the guide, with the complete adjuster mechanism at the bottom can, with some manipulation, be removed through the top of the door, which made refitting the guide easier.

It works!!! I reckon 90% of the rattles from both windows are now solved. Still a slight bit of play in the front glass guides but the beefed up rear guides seem to have pretty much stopped any movement unless I specifically try to wobble them. I think the only occasional rattle I have left on the drivers side window is actually play in the winder mechanism itself which will presumably need considerably more pain to actually sort. Bonus points are it actually feels like a proper window when winding it up/down now and not some loose connection to something in another town and that when shutting the door, it no longer feels like I'm about to get a face full of shattered glass. Well chuffed.

Thanks Dave, you're a gentleman. thumbsup

Does that mean you didn't have to remove the door panels, just lift the guide rail out after it was unbolted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users