• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Oh thought it was by previous comment it appears that it's not just me I have now gone pikey and extended my solar charger so I can stick it in the dry on the facia board to my garage and plug it in when the car is in the garage to get a few sunshine volts see if this helps

#63 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

A dutch guy with a powerless garage did the same. He's not complained so far thumbsup

#64 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

Well it gives 12v in sun and 6/7 in British summer so hope it will do the job For the time being Is it ok to leave these on permanent if the cars not being used for a few weeks or more

Edited by christhegasman, 28 July 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#65 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Should be fine. I can't imagine that even on the brightest day it's ever going to generate more than a few hundred mA of current, certainly not enough to offset your 3A drain from the stereo.

#66 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

Might be ok now I have plugged in a crap goodmans unit and it seems ok But can't believe 2 Sony headsets gave the same problem unless I have a wire problem that has vanished with moving the cables around Can't explain it but if it stays ok I will leave well alone Also thinking if I gi on my hols for a couple of weeks it will possibly still go flat so considering leaving my solar charger on just wondered if it would be ok for 2 to 3 weeks Thanks for all the advice guys but it may always remain a mystery

#67 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

Might be ok now
I have plugged in a crap goodmans unit and it seems ok
But can't believe 2 Sony headsets gave the same problem unless I have a wire problem that has vanished with moving the cables around
Can't explain it but if it stays ok I will leave well alone
Also thinking if I gi on my hols for a couple of weeks it will possibly still go flat so considering leaving my solar charger on just wondered if it would be ok for 2 to 3 weeks
Thanks for all the advice guys but it may always remain a mystery

As said in a previous post, there is a chance that the Sony head unit has permanent live and switched live opposite. Should be simple enough to try by swapping the wires over.

For me I'd fully charge the battery, put the goodmans head unit in and leave it whilst away. If you come back and all is well its either a faulty head unit or you need to look at the wiring. BTW no solar charger whilst you are away. If you do that then you'll not know if you've got to the bottom of the problem.

#68 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

As said in a previous post, there is a chance that the Sony head unit has permanent live and switched live opposite. Should be simple enough to try by swapping the wires over.

:yeahthat:
I'm trying to think back to what I originally stuck in the car to replace the VDO Dayton and think that might have been a Sony and that was when I encountered the reversed connections on the ISO connector. Definitely worth checking the Sony wiring diagram to see which lead on it's loom it's expecting a permanent live on and which it's expecting a switched live on. Then comparing that to the main power ISO connector on the cars loom to check they are in the corresponding place.

#69 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Is it ok to leave these on permanent if the cars not being used for a few weeks or more

The speedster guy has it plugged in for weeks, as he hardly drives it.

#70 Horace

Horace

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

I have a standard Blaupunkt Los Angeles stereo fitted. It turns off when you turn the ignition off. However, it turns on and works without the ignition on. I have no battery issues. So it would appear that the 'stock' stereo doesn't cause a problem. I think it's the Sony's issue. Just my tuppence worth :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users