Ls-X Engine Conversion For Vx220/s2 Exige

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Ausbuilt

Ausbuilt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hi There, I've recently moved to London (from Sydney). After reading the thread on the rover 3.5l V8 into a vx220, I've decided to do the same with an LS-X chev engine; not much heaver, using the 5.3L pulleys (designed for transverse installation). I have the skills mock up the engine/gearbox adapator and engine mounts; and the tools, however, I do not have a lock up garage (common parking area under my building with valets, but no permanent space). I'm happy to offer the parts at cost that I get made up (i.e i will mock them up, then get them CNC machined etc) and offer my labour to do the conversion on your car for free (assuming you like the job on my car), in return for having access to a lock-up garage/workshop space where i can dismantle the rear end of the car to mock up the block etc. I plan on selling the conversion parts as a kit at the end (but at a modest cost, this is a hobby, not a business for me), as I believe some of the conversion prices being charged by people are outrageous... I'm looking for a premises in London (i'm in SW1, but anywhere in london is OK). Best, R.

#2 spuk87

spuk87

Ex-owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Cars, technology, drones, cycling

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Can't offer premises I'm afraid but will be very interested to see how this progresses. Keep us updated.

#3 Ausbuilt

Ausbuilt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

Can't offer premises I'm afraid but will be very interested to see how this progresses. Keep us updated.

well i hope someone with a garage space is interested, otherwise there's no progress! LOL

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Blimey small block V8s in a VX, whatever next. Sounds very promising, but a huge long project. What type of gearbox can/will you use, because it will need to be transversly mounted presumably, and most V8s are longitudinally mounted... Even a pretty bog standard Chevy V8 making 400 BHP and 375 ft/lb of torque should be quite spectacular. Lets hope some kind person has a garage you can use for a year or two !

#5 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Ls3 or LS9 would do the trick, mated to a Ford GT gearbox, longer back end and voila one VX hennesy :lol:

#6 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Crackle Free Vinyl, The Universe and how the fcuk we got here :-l

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

It would be nice to see what it goes like in the real world when finished and it would probley fit better than a RV8 as its more compact. Hope someone comes up with the space you need but all i can offer is some inspiration with a vid of some V8 noise, just pretend its a LS in there!=] Hennessey VX, now theres a thought! I wonder how much they would charge for just the rear subframe!=] All the best Ausbuilt. Sam.

#7 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Its not a single frame, its more of a space frame.... fairly esy for yer average joe to do, but getting the suspension points lined up is the magic

#8 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Crackle Free Vinyl, The Universe and how the fcuk we got here :-l

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Its not a single frame, its more of a space frame.... fairly esy for yer average joe to do, but getting the suspension points lined up is the magic

Ye i saw abit of it on a jay leno vid, it looked rather nice as it was the whole engine/box suspension setup in one neat spaceframe, i was also surprised that it had a badge on it that said "made in england".

Sam.

#9 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Ye i saw abit of it on a jay leno vid, it looked rather nice as it was the whole engine/box suspension setup in one neat spaceframe, i was also surprised that it had a badge on it that said "made in england".

Sam.

Made in Silverstone :)

#10 Ausbuilt

Ausbuilt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

i'm still going on simplicity and sticking with transverse/mid installation, using the VX220 box... providing I get a place to do it! LOL

#11 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

I think Caral might have a subframe for this as they already have one for their Jag V8 conversions, for the Hartley H1V8 and for the GM alloytech...

We developed the GM LS engine and Getrag gearbox package for use in the Lotus Esprit model. This offers Esprit owners a 420bhp engine coupled to a 6 speed gearbox for the first time.

Also available for the S1 Elise and Exige conversions the LS engine is an affordable, lightweight and reliable package with great power and torque and a huge range of power upgrades available off the shelf.

http://www.caral.co.uk/14.html

But of course, transverse will be much easier and cheaper :)

Edited by alanoo, 28 July 2011 - 12:11 PM.

#12 Ausbuilt

Ausbuilt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

I think Caral might have a subframe for this as they already have one for their Jag V8 conversions, for the Hartley H1V8 and for the GM alloytech...

We developed the GM LS engine and Getrag gearbox package for use in the Lotus Esprit model. This offers Esprit owners a 420bhp engine coupled to a 6 speed gearbox for the first time.

Also available for the S1 Elise and Exige conversions the LS engine is an affordable, lightweight and reliable package with great power and torque and a huge range of power upgrades available off the shelf.

http://www.caral.co.uk/14.html

But of course, transverse will be much easier and cheaper :)

talking of CRAZY prices being charged..... this is a joke...

#13 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

I know we all love to hammer companies, but (assuming they are made well) you do understand the workmanship and time and engineering thats gone into a lot of these things dont you? Doing something in your spare time isnt 'free' etc yada yada yada. A transverse V8 just sounds endemically sh** imho, you will compromise so much regarding the exhaust that you might aswell disable the 'front' bank :lol:

#14 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

A transverse V8 just sounds endemically sh** imho, you will compromise so much regarding the exhaust that you might aswell disable the 'front' bank :lol:

Why you think a transverse V8 is anymore compromised than say, a transverse V6..? Are you talking about heat management, or just the fact that it 'sounds' odd to those in the know? The distribution of engine/ transmission weight is actually slightly preferable, as of course its all within the wheel base of the car, rather than having a few kilos of transaxles poking out the rear... Just out of interest, I noted the new Pagani, and I think Konesigggggeegege (whatever) have adopted transverse transaxles (not the best description!), to help bring the weight further towards the center of the car...

Anyhoo, should be an excellent project, and I've also given it a bit of thought (thought that is, not serious consideration!), and there doesn't seem to be any major dimensional issues for the basic components overall, just numerous packaging problems.

#15 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

A transverse V8 just sounds endemically sh** imho, you will compromise so much regarding the exhaust that you might aswell disable the 'front' bank :lol:

Why you think a transverse V8 is anymore compromised than say, a transverse V6..? Are you talking about heat management, or just the fact that it 'sounds' odd to those in the know? The distribution of engine/ transmission weight is actually slightly preferable, as of course its all within the wheel base of the car, rather than having a few kilos of transaxles poking out the rear... Just out of interest, I noted the new Pagani, and I think Konesigggggeegege (whatever) have adopted transverse transaxles (not the best description!), to help bring the weight further towards the center of the car...

Anyhoo, should be an excellent project, and I've also given it a bit of thought (thought that is, not serious consideration!), and there doesn't seem to be any major dimensional issues for the basic components overall, just numerous packaging problems.

I know the new Pagani has a longitudinal mounted engine, the transmission does look like its transverse but its just in a properly bizzar package :lol:

#16 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

Hmmm, callies crank, carrillo rods, overbored liners etc and a turbo version would see 7.5L and a good 1500 bhp. That would be 'interesting in a VX. It would be wheelie wheelie good. (sorry, I'll get me coat).

#17 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

Big power V8s in the USA get upto 2500 BHP.

#18 Ausbuilt

Ausbuilt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

I know the new Pagani has a longitudinal mounted engine, the transmission does look like its transverse but its just in a properly bizzar package :lol:

lets see... ferrari 308 & mondial.... Lambo MIURA... early Nobles... all had transverse engines/mid mount.. lambo had the V12!!!

after seeing the Rover 3.5 conversion on here.... I'm all keen to do the chev LS engine.. especially as this would not be legal in Oz.. so am all fired up to do it here..... then take it back as a personal import (only legal way to reg such a car in Oz).

#19 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Big power V8s in the USA get upto 2500 BHP.

Yeah, but the 1500 bhp one I had an interest in had good drivability and wasn't running mental boost. They are capable of 5000 bhp but they really are 'all or nothing at all' by that stage.

#20 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

lets see... ferrari 308 & mondial.... Lambo MIURA... early Nobles... all had transverse engines/mid mount.. lambo had the V12!!!

after seeing the Rover 3.5 conversion on here.... I'm all keen to do the chev LS engine.. especially as this would not be legal in Oz.. so am all fired up to do it here..... then take it back as a personal import (only legal way to reg such a car in Oz).

note the 'hads' :lol: :P

I'm sure is a lovely idea/route to take, but I think its a compromise for packaging and exhaust routing.
Atleast you want to do the job with a proper engine and not the outdated and crap RV8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users