Photo

408Bhp / 373Ft-Lb Stage 5+ 2006 Vx220 Turbo (Met Black)

• Please log in to reply
769 replies to this topic

#721 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Dam you can even get into most proper tracks when not tracking, sounds like a private track day not national day at all. Kind of goes against the point surely?

Glad you got the car out and had a blast while the weathers nice :)

DG

The paddock is inside the track, so you have to cross the track which has to be closed to get there. It make perfect sense not to allow people that might come and go into the paddock.

Sounds the same setup as Mallory Park, had a few ND's with the RTOC there and it allows passes at set times. There is also the park close to the action and just cross the bridge into the paddock if not wanting to wait for track crossing

Only my opinion but a national day is a very social event and you want all cars together, I would not want to park my car up away fom track and walk in. The last 6 years (previous were santa pod drag strip based eveny) the ND with RTOC has been at various trackday setups but focues on camping option and bit of show and shine, mobile RR social aspect as well as the trackday side. Again with plenty of beers in the evening which clealy still happens :D:P

I have no doubt everyone tracking had a great time but seems a few turned up and never experianceed a club feel due to the private track style setup

Maybe the setup of that track added to most of this? Certainly Anglesea was open to drive in when I went to that one, maybe it was not clear to people going who were not tracking in their VX's (never followed the thread so maybe it was?)

Anyway do not want to spam Daves thread and still love all VX220's :P :P :P and not taking anything away from those who set it up a bloody hard task in its own right

DG

#722 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Well Dave H took me out in the black beast this afternoon :o

I've got to start off by saying tho it was not a ride out in 'my old' car, Dave has now so completely re-worked the car its just phenomenal and a different animal all together! all for the better as well!!!

On the 'lower' power setting running about 280bhp its soooooooooo smooth, ridiculously smooth in fact, incredibly quick but the way the power is delivered with the larger turbo not running out of puff anywhere in the rev range to over 7,500rpm is where it excels a 280bhp stage 4 is dropping power off at just under 5,000rpm this just gives more more MORE! all the way to the limiter, fantastic fun!!! :)

The 'defcon 1' setting is feckin scary fast... with over 400bhp / 400ft lb and hitting you like Wladimir Klitshko subtle it aint!!! but feck me its F A S T the needle travels round the dial like something out of a playstation game, honestly my driving skills would be no where near competent enough to control that car in that mode now, it really is only for very experienced drivers the power to weight ration & short wheelbase would find ANY faults or bad habits anyone driving it had VERY quickly!

The LSD is quite remarkable in the way it delivers power coming out of bends, especially tight islands! instead of wheelspin it just digs in and grips quite amazing espcially as I was very used to the car at much lower power and it definatly would not have done that before! I think the LSD is a must for that level of power.

The car now really does it all, handles beautifully, stops phenomenally, and short of a superbike nothing is going to get near it, its got a power to weight ratio just slightly more than an Aventador or a Zonda or an F40! think the 996 C2 that tried to see what it was had a shock anyway!!!

well done again Dave the car is a true credit to all your exceptional fabrication & engineering skills and without doubt one of the most sorted VX's anywhere :)

Edited by MrSimba, 14 August 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#723 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thank you Simon for your kind words, glad you are impressed with the car but just continuing the good work you started. Still a few jobs to do but getting there.

I'm really enjoying the car, its a delight to drive, economy and plenty of go depending how its driven, its also nice to have a progressive response from the engine due to the ideally suited Garrett,  Adaptronic ECU and the way it has been set up, also getting plenty of miles on the exhaust system to see how it stands up. I have now made a twin outlet tail pipe and will be doing some noise tests but by comparing a twin to a single pushed over the existing pipe there is audibly a difference. I'm also working on an even larger silencer just to see any differences.

A large number of hours has gone into the car and its nice to have some good weather to enjoy it, its surprising how a 4 mile journey in the van to work can change to a 20 mile drive in the VX.

Dave.

#724 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

Big kids, both of you lol. Love it! Was about 50bhp per ton down with you as pax lol. Dave is used to his featherweight setup ;-) Dave time you got the Silver one ready for some track action sir ;-) but may need to steal that spare garret for track beast lol DG

#725 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Can I come and be taken for a trip out someday please?

Gawd knows when I would have the time to make any changes though, off to circulate Dony tonight and it hasn't had the National grime washed off yet.

#726 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

No problem, you are welcome anytime. Depending on how work goes I may have a look up Don'o tonight. Dave

#727 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Cheers, it's a dirty black turbo, although I don't think there are any other VXs on the list.

#728 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

New theme park ride - the Garrett GTX :tt:

DG

#729 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

I Have made another larger silencer which is 31" long just to see what the difference is. This is fitted to my other project!

Posted Image

I will do some noise tests with the two outlets, there is certainly a difference in sound but it will be interesting to see what the db meter says.

Posted Image

Dave.

#730 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Please make a system for the NA/SC guys. 3" with as much noise reduction you physically fit in the space.

#731 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Please make a system for the NA/SC guys. 3" with as much noise reduction you physically fit in the space.

Yeah that

#732 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Dave, you will have to get the mods to rename the thread title :)

#733 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

so title wise , is it 400bhp / 400 ft-lb that is the new figure?

#734 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

408 BHP 373 torque on EFI Parts Dyno.

#735 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Have you put standard suspension back on Dave?

#736 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

thread title updated , actually I think we can lose the bit at the end, and it should say Dave Hardwick's turbo development

#737 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Rear suspension refitted.

Hopefully start assembling the engine this week.

Posted Image

Nitron dampers and OEM toe link?

May I ask what spring rates your using?

#738 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thought I could see billies in your last pic?

#739 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for updating the title.

The photograph with the 31" silencer is of my other project car (Silver) this also has a Garrett 28/67 but on my own tubular exhaust manifold and side entry inlet manifold also on Adaptronic plus other mods. The standard Billies are fitted at the moment just for moving it around but I have some Nitrons ready to fit just need to decide on spring rates and what I'm actually going to do with the car, a track day car is what I want to do. This project was put on hold when I took over the black car from Simon.

The Black car has Nitron 46 with 550lbs springs on the back, standard toe links at the moment but I will fit some uprated ones over the winter when I will also refurbish the front suspension, I may go for a quick rack at the same time.

Dave

#740 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have done a comparison using my new higher quality noise meter between my 3" system No cat (3000miles), a milltec fitted on my Stage 2 car Cat equipped (about 5000miles) and Larini fitted to the Blue VXR cat equipped (milage unknown). The final reading was foot to the floor revving up to about 6000 RPM and lifting, this was quite surprising! It would be nice to do a drive by test or test under load. Readings at 50cm/45deg.

On the road the Larini is the loudest. The black car is producing a lot more power than the stage 2 car/Milltec, on the road they are different tones but the Milltec seems a touch louder under load but this is to my ears.

I still have the 31" silencer to try but it all takes time and I prefer driving the car to swapping exhaust systems at the moment!

I'm keen to see how well it would work on a S/C car but there are other factors to be considered when fitting a much larger silencer in any car, heat being a major one as there is no way the standard silencer heat shield can be used.

RPM                      Black car 3"        Milltec            Larini

1000                      72                       65                   80

2000                      79                       79                   89

3000                      87                       85                   93

4000                      89                       90                   96

5000                      93                       92                   98

6000                      98                       94                   100

1000-6000            102                    121                 122

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users