Photo

New Shed

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#121 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

I've got a V60 at the moment for the weekend. It's quite hard to get across how bad it is for a £35k car. 

In order of importance  :lol: 
-The central arm rest (it can't be adjusted)is also a box, but there is a bit of a lip in at the front where it has a handle, and it corresponds exactly to where my funny bone is in my elbow, so every time i change gear it gives me a nasty shock
-The dials are quite something. I didn't even realise it had a rev counter (and it sort of doesn't)Posted Image. The worst aspect is the bright hue which travels with the artificial needle to light up the current speed. the massive gear change indicator opposite the fuel gauge is clearly an after thought. and the big black hole in the middle is very odd. 
-As safety features it had a safe distance warning, lane departure and correction, speed sign recognition, and some other things i've already forgotten about. the distance warning puts red lights up on a head up display (which are permanently on when i drive it. the lane departure will autocorrect steering while also giving a playstation vibration through the wheel. it works about 2/3rds of the time and only on very small gradients of approach. I'm not sure i'm brave enough to test the anti-crash autostop thing. 
-It has 190hp and yet feels quite a lot slower than the golf
-Its very rough between idle and 1500rpm, so much so the gear lever has an unpleasant vibration especially in third. 
-It also sounds broken at those revs, as though there is a metal on metal bearing running somewhere in the front. 
-The bonnet sits very high, so much so you are always looking at the trailling edge of the bonnet which is about 2 inches above the bottom of the screen. 
-the boot is very small, 
-the infotainment is unfathomable, and there are 46 buttons and 5 dials to drive it. 
-the seats aren't very comfortable, the raison d'etre of Volvo

I also had a c-class 250 cdi with a list price of £42.5k which didn't have real leather and that was horrid too. 

So the Jaguar is still unavailable to drive and on the basis of how bad the above are i'd not buy one without seening and driving it first. 

I'm going to order the A6, just need to get the compromise between exterior and interior options right. It boils down to to tech pack (Large tft DIS, large high res central screen,   touch pad and phone box signal enhancer) or the big wheels and met paint...

#122 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

Interior first, exterior second always. Pointless looking like a king, when actually you are only living the life of a prole. Otherwise you might as well live in Bradford.

Edited by Mangham54, 16 May 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#123 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

thumbsup

#124 Luke84

Luke84

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

What lease company / annual mileage is that with?

Edited by Luke84, 16 May 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#125 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

20k a year, company car through arval 

#126 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

James, definitely go for the interior upgrades over exterior trim enhancements. USP of A6, and to a lesser degree Audis in general, is the cabin (and that's where you'll be spending all of your time). Larger screen will make difference, plus phonebox is handy (have it in my TT) and makes a difference, while touchpad is nice touch.

#127 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

I bumped into an Exige LF1 the other week at Castle Coombe and it's owner. He started it up just to move it a few feet (or perhaps to let people hear it). It certainly looked and sounded impressive and the stats on it look good too apart from being a little heavy. I tried talking the owner, but he seemed a little reticent to be talking to one of his distant Vauxhall owning cousins; which made me smile inwardly :)

#128 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

ordered this in the end, the jaguar was more than underwhelming, especially in quality

Posted Image

#129 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

Nice. I was following one through Cambridge the other day and the indicators had me spellbound. :lol:

#130 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

i don't actually like the new dynamic indicators

but its even worse for me because the car i've ordered has them on the back not on the front and it offends my OCD.

There are three grades of headlights for the A6, Zenon (High beam assist optional), all LED (high beam assist std) and LED matrix with bendy beams. Only the matrix lights have the dynamic indicators i went with the all LED 

#131 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

for those wondering what i'm on about

#132 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

I think you've ordered the most Audi-spec Audi you could get.

ordered this in the end, the jaguar was more than underwhelming, especially in quality

Posted Image

#133 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

what do you mean?

#134 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

the most common on the road are black editions. 

#135 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

what do you mean?

Grey S-Line diesel avant Or put it this way, if someone offered me a grey diesel automatic estate car as my daily driver, I'd tell them where to go.. :lol:

Edited by Rosssco, 01 June 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#136 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:54 PM

Meh, I'm bored of changing gear in traffic and I value space comfort and above all quietness over anything else. This has the same performance as my GTD so plenty quick enough. You wouldn't know it was a diesel anyway other than by looking at the revs. If they doubled all all the digits on the Rev counter it could be a petrol such is the isolation from it. And 7 speed dsg is pretty much a cvt.

#137 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:55 PM

And the avant is a lot cooler than the saloon :P

#138 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:02 PM

Meh, I'm bored of changing gear in traffic and I value space comfort and above all quietness over anything else.

My thoughts exactly👍 Having had decent auto boxes on my daily drive for 20 years there's no way I'd go back to a manual. On my current car, if I get bored on the country lanes I just stick it into sport mode and use the flappy paddles. BTW, nice choice👍

Edited by PaulCP, 01 June 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#139 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

Meh, I'm bored of changing gear in traffic 

My thoughts exactly👍

:yeahthat:

DSG/S-Tronic/PDK is brilliant. Whatever my next car is will have it. EVO and Chris Harris can harp on about manual gearchanges but fcuk it, it's so last century (though I might back them on the whole electric steering thing). Just a quick "remap" so it'll go all the way to the limiter in manual mode and hold the gear there, instead of shifting and it's perfect.

#140 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

Also 2k rpm at 100mph and a box that seamlessly disengages in freewheeling is the way to go. 

4 month wait thumbsdown

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users