173 replies to this topic

#141 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

And the avant is a lot cooler than the saloon :P

I was just being a bit disingenuous ;) It's a good car, I'm just sick of seeing them up here..

#142 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

It would be nice to have a few more colour options

this one may be a bit too brash though

wish i was brave enough in terms of cost and image

Posted Image

#143 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

I keep seeing a new RS6 Avant in what looks like Laguna Seca Blue or something with black wheels... Dribble.. This colour: http://thesupercarki...15/02/57-13.jpg I could handle that as a DD..

#144 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

I would have liked Sepang Blue, but it is an S6 only colour in the A6 range

Posted Image

#145 chez

chez

• PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, DJing, football, cricket, golf....... The stars

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:12 PM

The estate is nicer, my dad bought a jag xf and I also think the estate is nicer on that

#146 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

Good choice. The 4 month wait isn't great though. Been waiting for my company car for just over 3 months... Due to be delivered to me next Tuesday. :)

#147 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

What did you go for?

#148 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

The whole VAG group seem to be suffering with large delays... Some Golf and Polo editions have been known to have 6month production lead times. A couple of Golf GTI buyers have been advised 4months, and waited nearly 3 to get a build date.

#149 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

What did you go for?

Nothing as nice as an A6. We needed 7 seats which massively limits the choice. We ended up ordering a top spec Citroen C4 Grand Picasso in white like this:

Posted Image

#150 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

4 month wait thumbsdown.

Just been quoted a 24 week wait for a Golf R. There'll probably be a new model by then. :wacko:

#151 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

Problem with the MQB platform is that all models are impacted by supply issues of components.

#152 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

4 month wait thumbsdown.

Just been quoted a 24 week wait for a Golf R. There'll probably be a new model by then. :wacko:

Mine has arrived, 8 weeks early. I can either have it delivered on the 10th Aug or wait until 1st September for new registration. 

I think i'll have it now. got to confirm on Monday.

#153 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

Doesn't the delivery date make a difference to your lease payments? The September registered car will have a better residual than the August registered car.

#154 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:44 AM

4 month wait thumbsdown.

Mine has arrived, 8 weeks early. I can either have it delivered on the 10th Aug or wait until 1st September for new registration.    I think i'll have it now. got to confirm on Monday.
I'd just wait... You can't be so impatient to not cope for 3 weeks.

#155 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:44 AM

Nah, it makes no difference to them apparently. 

Its just a question of vanity versus impatience. :lol:

#156 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

Impatience wins every time with me😎😎 Congrats on "the" event BTW

#157 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:21 PM

Last couple of days with the Golf. I'm really going to miss it. 

Posted Image

I'll post my final thoughts on Monday when it goes properly. 

I've had it for three and half years and 76,000 miles. It chewed through 6 sets of front :blush:  and one set of rear tyres. The brake disk and pads were changed today so they made the whole mileage too. Not bad considering all of its performance was used quite a lot of the time. 

Its been a really great car, fast but incredibly frugal averaging around 50mpg over its lifetime. Its worn well too. There are no real wear marks on the interior despite using like this every so often and its only now at nearly 80k that the leather on the steering wheel is going a bit shinny. 

Posted Image

the front end has a couple of nasty stone chips, but on the whole the exterior is virtually unmarked. 

It never went wrong, never threw a warning light, never even required a new bulb. It just did exactly what was asked of it and did it very well. It would have been cheap to run privately too. its only ever had 3 services (the last one today). If was looking for a warm frugal hatch i know exactly what i'd buy. 

It had one major issue and that's how noisy it is on the motorway. The sound actor interfered with the bluetooth microphone too which was amusing to begin and then got tiresome. It also encouraged hooliganism which sometimes was a step too far simply because of how capable it is. 

I'll be quite jealous of whomever picks it up at auction. I very much doubt it's replacement will be able to delight in the way it has. 

#158 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

New shed turned up on Monday :D

Posted Image

Its bloody fantastic. Its nearly silent, it changes gear beautifully, its surprisingly fast (no running in here) and is very comfortable. 

it isn't quite as frugal as its manufacturer states, averaging about 32mpg which is around half :lol: it only has 100 miles on the clock so far so it might get better. 

#159 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

The latest EA288 engines are very well made, they've designed out all of the weak points of the earlier engines (now use roller followers in place of bucket tappets, greater piston top land to reduce deposits at the piston ring, relocated cylinder head bolts to minimise distortion, not to mention great aftertreatment packaging), all of this means that in my experience from our engine testing programs, you shouldn't need to run it in for more than about 10 hours, or about 400 miles.

so if the mpg doesn't improve over the next week or so, I guess that's what you're stuck with.

Out of interest, does the handbook specify 0W-30 504 00 507 00 oil or still 5w-30?

#160 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

i didn't run it in at all. 

although it spends most of its time between 1 and 2k rpm anyway (it will never wear out). 100mph is 1900 rpm. 

Posted Image

economy is much better on long runs. to average 57, you have to do 80-85 on the motorway bits. So 47mpg isn't bad for a 1650kg car. the golf would have done 44 on the same journey.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users