355 replies to this topic

#241 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

Currently mulling over how I'm going to treat the bottom edge where it abuts the tub The mesh I've got it understandably flimsy, and where the original cill was bonded into the tub i've got no way of doing that, so the back edge id going to be floppy unless I can get some sort of rod in there to stiffen it up. Hmmmm

#242 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Well, that was a fun afternoon :D MIght post some pics later; far from certain it's been a success atm, as Sikaflex certainly doesn't grab like I thought it would :(

Edited by jules_s, 28 April 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#243 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

So it seems the jack sheared off the cill relatively cleanly along the tub line....but what was left would have to come out

Posted Image

Mucho scraping later, and some straightening up of things it's all clean and tidy (didn't bother with a pic) :)

Sourced some bar to reinforce the edge of the mesh that was going to sit in the tub recess...

Posted Image

Dremel with sanding drum unleashed ;)

Posted Image

Underside

Posted Image

Wiped down

Posted Image

#244 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

And after much fcuking around with Sikaflex (and copious amounts of cuss words)

Posted Image

#245 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Front edge will need some fettling methinks. And the top hole (obviously) - I'm still pondering that solution. I gave up messing with it further until it sets, as messing about with one area just made another worse. Hopefully that will prove a suitable base for the fibreglass though :)

#246 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Looks good, let set then fibreglass.

#247 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yep, had a play this afternoon. Only reall lesson was don't make up too much resin all at once lol

Made template and cut a few (4) sheets out, only used 3 though :)

Posted Image

And hey presto, still go some more to do underneath but my back said 'another day matey'

Posted Image

Fingers crossed, pretty happy so far but it's a long road ahead :)

#248 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Not as far as you think, you're lucky you haven't got a metallic colour, you can blend in solid colours much easier. If you spend the weekend at it you won't even be able to tell this ever happened.

#249 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

That looks pretty good jules! thumbsup

#250 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Good stuff Jules...looks similar to the works I do where you get sticky stuff on your fingers and end up getting it everywhere heh

#251 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Good stuff Jules...looks similar to the works I do where you get sticky stuff on your fingers and end up getting it everywhere heh

I think at one point I had the brush, pot and weave glued to my hand all at once :lol:

#252 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

looking good so far Jules thumbsup

#253 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Well done Julian, back aching but rewarding work I expect !

#254 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Back aching indeed Nev, I'm up because the back is hurting too much :( Anyways, despite wanting to finish the fibreglassing/painting off I committed to dropping the car off to have the suspension refresh done today...so it's gone. So much rushing/stress I forgot my bank card so had to go begging for the train fare home :lol: All of the parts have arrived at the garage AOK...so a shout out to Autovaux for 4 hubs, and seriouslylotus for the refresh kit...both delivered within 24 hours.....particular respect to seriouslylotus; constant e-mail and text responses about how the delivery was going. The guy doing the work is going to get some shims lazer cut so that's one off the list....just need to source the ABS shims from the other thread (cheers JG and others) just got to decide on a geo setting now - he tells me the 340r is too mental for road use/no run off I've now got 90cl of calypso for the paint job, P38, primer filler, every grade of W&D available and a power sander...clear coat to come; I fancy a test piece before buying too much of that since this is the first thing i've painted since the year 2000 :lol: Given I've got 90cl of paint it's pretty obvious I'm going to attack the rear clam straight afterwards...after all, I can't make it look any worse ;) just a bit pissed off I couldn't finish off the FG on the cill (and i've got cans rattling around the boot of the pug) Hey ho. My back is telling me it's a well deserved week off :)

#255 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

thumbsup Jules You may have done it anyway, but getting the paint cans really hot in water makes a huge difference to the finish :)

#256 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

What tyres/wheel combo you got jules? I just had mine geod -1.5 camber 0.0 toe out -2.8 camber 0.5 toe in

#257 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

TDs with kumhos IIRC I just had the standard Lotus set up on mine from recommendation of Andy at Q Mech and its been great on the road.

#258 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Fair play Jules... Really respect the fact you've had a go at something so daunting and looks like you are making a bloody good job of it thumbsup

#259 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

thumbsup Jules

You may have done it anyway, but getting the paint cans really hot in water makes a huge difference to the finish :)

Cheers mate, I'll happily admit I never knew that. The intention (rightly or wrongly) was to thoroughly flat it before the lacquer, if that makes any difference? Need some white primer too as the filler stuff is yellow :(

I've not had time to consider the geo too Much Chris, all I know is that the steering is uncomfortably heavy atm compared to how it came away from scared Stifff. So something has to change in that dept

Must remember to pay Phil later for that rear mesh ;)

#260 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Bloody hell I'm not sure where I'm at right now. I've got so much work on atm, the VX stuff seems to be restricted to phonecalls in lunch half hours and e-mails to people in the evenings. All I can say is it cost fcuking loads to sort the suspension/ABS out. Half the cars worth at least with no pay back on re-sale. I'm sat here once again bewildered why I'm spending thousands on the bastard shitbox thing tbh I'm not even going to post what has/will be done until I get it back. I know it wont be enough to refresh it 100% JG once said 'I went to look at the suspension' which led to an epic thread. Mine would be more like 'I had and ABS light on, 115k on the clock, then opened my wallet' fcuking painfull. Doubtless because I've done nothing to it since I bought it and 100k miles since, but it's still killing my wallet :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users