tracking device insurance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gopherit

Gopherit

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I am a new owner and new to the forum - the NA VX I have is a stand in whilst I rebuild our 1967 Elan +2 which decided to self ignite prior to a trackday.

I have searched this forum for "Tracking Devices" and I tend to agree with some of the views there regarding the usefulness of them these days - particularly since some of the firms selling devices also sell jammers!

However, my insurance company is insisting on a device being fitted, and their cost is so much less than other quotes I have gone with it (next nearest was Pace Ward who tried very hard).

I asked my company if there was any specification for the tracking device, to which the answer was "No". As they claim to record telephone conversations I am looking to fit my own device, not to pay what seem extortionate service fees to companies who have Thatcham approval. The only device of the commercially installed ones I feel has got a grip on specifiation and cost is the Accutrac ( http://www.acutrac.co.uk ) who use up to 3 methods of locating and you can access your own data from the net. Hoewever, it's still lots of wonga.

Has anyone fitted there own tracking device and if so, what has been the experience?

#2 ratboiler

ratboiler

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

They asked for this on my car, and based on the fact that an older car that a friend of mine had was having a lot of electrical problem which were tracked back to the tracker unit fitted, I found a company that would accept the car without one fitted keep trying you will find a company.

#3 Gopherit

Gopherit

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

As I said in the original post, I've gone with my original company - the quote was so much less I wouldn't be much out of pocket even if I had to fit a Thatcham approved tracker - and I've been round the block on getting quotes. What I'm after is feedback from any owners who have fitted any type of tracking device.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tracking device, insurance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users