• 8,168 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thought this might be of some interest

http://www.animegame...s/Oil Tests.pdf

#2 JG

JG

• 13,622 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

thumbsup. Its about 8 years old though, i first read it in 2004-5 :) I used to run solely on royal purple, which was also tested in the tribology lab at Cardiff University. Recently switched to Titan Pro R, because Royal Purple was costing over £80 of oil per change, and i felt that things had probably moved on.

#3 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,168 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Agreed, what we need is fezzasus to do an update :) I use the Titan stuff, never seen red oil before :?

#4 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

George Plint is an eccentric who has served the tribo testing industry for years; he has created radionuclide teeth brushing rigs down to simple ball on pin tribo equipment. If you ever have the chance to talk business with him, the one thing he will stress is this 'The results from the rig will only apply to the performance of the oil in that rig' I can confirm that, there has always been a need to drive testing cost and time down by using tribological bench testing in place of engine testing. Each time the result is the same; very little insight can be gained from bench testing intended to measure engine performance. currently the only rig I am aware of that replicates performance of an engine is a motored valve head using identical test programs and used oil from a fired engine - this means each test costs a mere $20 k rather than $200 k The test in the article doesn't replicate any conditions of an engine, the oil is too cold, the loading too high, the surfaces of the metal are like. Mainly, wear doesn't occur with fresh oil, yet this rig does nothing to age the oil. If I remember to, I will generate a plot of wear bench test data against engine test data. I won't be able to provide you with brands, but once you see the data you will realise that it doesn't really matter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users