New Features - Premium Membership

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#101 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Just click to join the big turn on Yeah right, I wish to point out that I don't surf dodgy sites when I'm not on .org

#102 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

How about a Mitsubishi Outlander :lol:

#103 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

She said she only needed my bank details to be sure I was who I said I was..... :o

:o I was refering to the'lady'bit

Anyway talking of bank details, off to the local BMW dealer service department to be reminded how cheap my vx is to run :(

#104 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

So far today from my death bed I have taken out two loans, bought a colt and booking some flights to Bangkok. All good for me :thumbsup: Also @christhegasman if my comments about all the remainder subs going towards beers for the National was confusing - then sorry. It was merely a joke and Will et al has stated that nothing will fund the National put of this venture :)

Edited by Goosenka, 15 May 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#105 WillT

WillT

Need to get Out More

• 810 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

The ads will indeed start trending better in time, but they are standard google ads. They use cookies on your PC to work out suggestions to what you might like to see. Nothing I can do about them at the moment until they are sold directly to people. I can't move them to the bottom of the site, as that would completely defeat the object of them being there.

#106 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

So far today from my death bed I have taken out two loans, bought a colt and booking some flights to Bangkok.

All good for me : thumbsup:

Excellent, productive morning then.

#107 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

So far today from my death bed I have taken out two loans, bought a colt and booking some flights to Bangkok.

All good for me : thumbsup:

Excellent, productive morning then.

For sure. Now, where is my precious ring? :lol:

#108 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I don't wanna know!

#109 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hmmm, so I pay £12 for something I've used for free for the last 9 years and what do I receive in exchange, access to a forum the content of which is too secret to state? If it's anything like 116 I'm better off out of it.

I'll doubtless relent as I've let this place get under my skin (sadly), but a retrograde step IMO thumbsdown

How many times...

You're paying for the FREE use of it you've had over those last 9 years, that someone else has been paying out of their own pocket.

It's like this country breeds people who just think they're entitled to things just "because". Don't even get me started on Unions. Bloody hate them all!

Anyway, that's another story.

Quite the opposite. The unions strength is that they foster a culture that requires membership. That is precisely what is being attempted here.

I do not consider myself entitled to anything. I have enjoyed a resource that has been provided without charge as the previous 'owner' built a site to give benefit to all. I pay my way by volunteering my time to do the same, be it by answering questions or organising events.

Now we have an owner who wishes to line his pockets. Lets assume 200 have joined up. Site income rises from zero to £2,400. Will it be £2,400 better? Of course not. You're all lambs to the slaughter. Arthur Scargill would embrace you as a good unionist.

On a more relevant note, nobody chooses to advise what is in the new forum? Can we expect the 'useful threads' to be fully reinstated? That would be a worthwhile 'enhancment'.

#110 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Quite the opposite. The unions strength is that they foster a culture that requires membership. That is precisely what is being attempted here

No, unions use bully tactics to force people to do things their way, slight difference.

Quite the opposite. The unions strength is that they foster a culture that requires membership. That is precisely what is being attempted here.

I do not consider myself entitled to anything. I have enjoyed a resource that has been provided without charge as the previous 'owner' built a site to give benefit to all. I pay my way by volunteering my time to do the same, be it by answering questions or organising events.

You shouldn't really be seeing it that way, it's not the mentality of this club. We help others out because we're part of a community and giving is a good feeling, there is no requirement for you to contribute (financially) if you do not wish, but if everyone thought like yourself, we would have a community no longer. Is that what you'd want? I certainly don't offer up my advice/help expecting something in return or feeling that I'm entitled to use of the website because of that. Again, we've come back full circle.

Now we have an owner who wishes to line his pockets.

Technically we're filling the holes in his pockets left there by having the site up and running (for free) for so long.

Site income rises from zero to £2,400. Will it be £2,400 better? Of course not.

No, but at least you'll still have a website and community left intact ;)

#111 WillT

WillT

Need to get Out More

• 810 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Patridge, you have an opinion and I respect that. The simple fact is you aren't being forced to signup are you. You don't have to part with any of your own money, you can continue to use the forum completely free of charge. If you can't put up with the advertising, either install an ad blocker or use the mobile skin. I've hosted this site free of charge for many years. It costs money to host.. Thats the simple fact of it. Do 99.9% of other websites out there make money from membership or advertising in some way? Yes. As I say, you are not being forced to part with cash, and the forum is still as free as it once was.

#112 Pink Princess

Pink Princess

Please talk slowly...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Interests:Email nmclements@hotmail.co.uk

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

money I don't have :-(

#113 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Nat, read the rest of the thread. You DON'T have to subscribe. If you can put up with the Ads, then don't worry.

#114 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'll be a member tonight! :o Pleased I can do something for the community that has helped me so much :)

#115 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Uh Oh. We'd better remove the stUwy posts.

#116 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

I think any excess should be to employ a workforce to fix the goddam pot holes in the road :angry2: Or could go towards trophies for "Most ridiculous post", "Biggest Fail" and suchlike. :lol: I can't wait for the ads to go away. I just got offered a magic pill for weight loss :( think my heffer housemate might have been on my PC.... :lol:

Edited by VXed, 15 May 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#117 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Uh Oh.

We'd better remove the stUwy posts.

haha I have been checking my user name twice a day becuase of that conversation! :lol:

mmmm tomato :P

#118 elwill

elwill

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Have noticed that new threads in premium room don't show up in my RSS feed. Is this because it's a new room and I need to re do the RSS or is that simply the way its going to be?

#119 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

I think rss uses an anonymous call to the threads, hence cannot read the new premium room.

#120 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

As much as I've signed up Patridge has a point and shouldn't be dismissed like he has been. It would be good for some accountability for how this new icome is being spent. At present we're just handing it over. The figures I seen in the last thread on running costs are just bollocks. As much as we all love this site and its content has sentimental value. Anyone who has worked with enterprise systems knows the hardware required to run this site is minimal and has already been bought back down the line. So we're paying ongoing license costs for software?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users