Photo

Anodising - Anyone Interested In Forming A Big Batch?

nicollow anodising black coating

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#41 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Haw, Nicol, do you remember what specific finish you got yours in? Did you do any prep too? The photos look like new parts!

Edit: So...Mr Low...too quick for me. This does not bode well.

Edited by MrDCG, 11 January 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#42 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Haw, Nicol, do you remember what specific finish you got yours in? Did you do any prep too? The photos look like new parts!

I just asked for black. Toyed with hard anodised, but it apparently comes out a bit funny coloured sometimes. The bits all seam to be wearing fine though. Only did a bit of cleaning, recon you cant do too much on that front.

#43 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

I just asked for black. Toyed with hard anodised, but it apparently comes out a bit funny coloured sometimes. The bits all seam to be wearing fine though. Only did a bit of cleaning, recon you cant do too much on that front.

Cheers. Anything else you've thought about since and want chucked in with mine?

#44 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Cheers. Anything else you've thought about since and want chucked in with mine?

Someone mentioned the mat screws. That sounds like a good idea to me... ;)

Are you going to try and keep the batches separate? Might get a bit mixed up perhaps, with the risk of sending someone a scratched component that wasnt before? Maybe folk dont care tho!! :P

#45 Steelic

Steelic

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I'm in with this if it all polishes up ok: Fuel Filler Cap (2 component parts): MrDCG davemate Matt_S86 (possibly if i can get my hands on a spare) ChrisS1 haggi961 Way-aye-Pete Graeme Lambert steelic Window Winders (8 component parts): MrDCG Matt_S86 ChrisS1 5oc haggi961 steelic Heater Knobs (3 component parts): MrDCG davemate ChrisS1 haggi961 steelic Starter Button (2 component parts): davemate "VX220" Dashplate (1 component part): MrDCG ChrisS1 steelic Handbrake Grip (1 component part): MrDCG Matt_S86 haggi961 steelic Original Ally Gearknob (1 component part): MrDCG Original Gear Surround (1 component part): Matt_S86 haggi961 Internal Door Locking Pins ( 2 component part) steelic

#46 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Someone mentioned the mat screws. That sounds like a good idea to me... ;)

Are you going to try and keep the batches separate? Might get a bit mixed up perhaps, with the risk of sending someone a scratched component that wasnt before? Maybe folk dont care tho!! :P

Yup, buried within one of my more verbose posts a few back, I've said I'll need to mark up people's items in a discrete place so they can be identified after they're anodised.

From speaking to Rob it was clear that they can't be fcuked with messing about with items when they get them, so rather than depend on them doing so, I'll come up with a marking system. I'm only talking tally marks/dots on contact facings or somewhere else hidden from view when reassembled. With people's blessing of course.

I'll catalogue/photograph items to make sure everyone gets their own stuff back.

Again, if that doesn't suit anyone or they've got a better idea, let me know.

Edited by MrDCG, 11 January 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#47 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Fuel Filler Cap (2 component parts): MrDCG davemate Matt_S86 (possibly if i can get my hands on a spare) ChrisS1 haggi961 Way-aye-Pete Graeme Lambert steelic Window Winders (8 component parts): MrDCG Matt_S86 ChrisS1 5oc haggi961 steelic Heater Knobs (3 component parts): MrDCG davemate ChrisS1 haggi961 steelic Starter Button (2 component parts): davemate "VX220" Dashplate (1 component part): MrDCG ChrisS1 steelic haggi961 Handbrake Grip (1 component part): MrDCG Matt_S86 haggi961 steelic Original Ally Gearknob (1 component part): MrDCG Original Gear Surround (1 component part): Matt_S86 haggi961 Internal Door Locking Pins ( 2 component part) steelic Carpet screws (4 component part) haggi961

#48 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Whats my best bet for my fuel cap as i have lightly sanded it down and then sprayed it.

#49 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Fuel Filler Cap (2 component parts): MrDCG davemate Matt_S86 (possibly if i can get my hands on a spare) ChrisS1 haggi961 Way-aye-Pete Graeme Lambert steelic Window Winders (8 component parts): MrDCG Matt_S86 ChrisS1 5oc haggi961 steelic Heater Knobs (3 component parts): MrDCG davemate ChrisS1 haggi961 steelic Starter Button (2 component parts): davemate "VX220" Dashplate (1 component part): MrDCG ChrisS1 steelic haggi961 Handbrake Grip (1 component part): MrDCG Matt_S86 haggi961 steelic Original Ally Gearknob (1 component part): MrDCG Original Gear Surround (1 component part): Matt_S86 haggi961 Internal Door Locking Pins ( 2 component part) steelic Carpet screws (4 component part) haggi961 Wiper stalks (2 component part) haggi961

#50 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

superfluous

Edited by MrDCG, 11 January 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#51 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Whats my best bet for my fuel cap as i have lightly sanded it down and then sprayed it.

It'll have to be bare aluminium for the anodising to work and since parts of Nicol's filler cap didn't take properly (probably just down to some kind of relatively light contaminent) I seriously doubt their alkaline etch would cut through paint. If you can get it right down to good, bare aluminium, it should be fine. Otherwise I'd look for a replacement or forget it.

Let me know. ;)/>

Edit - Unless the wiper stalks strip down to bare aluminium that can be hung on a hook somewhere the coating doesn't show, I'd say they won't be possible. :(

#52 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

It'll have to be bare aluminium for the anodising to work and since parts of Nicol's filler cap didn't take properly (probably just down to some kind of relatively light contaminent) I seriously doubt their alkaline etch would cut through paint. If you can get it right down to good, bare aluminium, it should be fine. Otherwise I'd look for a replacement or forget it.

Let me know. ;)/>

Edit - Unless the wiper stalks strip down to bare aluminium that can be hung on a hook somewhere the coating doesn't show, I'd say they won't be possible. :(

I will be able to take the paint off its just the fine sanding that i have done on the fuel cap. Here is a picture of the wiper stalks to see what you think
Posted Image

#53 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Are you not doing steering wheel too haggi?

#54 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Are you not doing steering wheel too haggi?

:lol:

#55 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

:lol: I swear i did look at that when i posted the picture but i seen that i would have to take the leather off so to much hassle then its worth :D

#56 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

:lol: I swear i did look at that when i posted the picture but i seen that i would have to take the leather off so to much hassle then its worth :D

Ja.

Also, I don't know about the stalks. They come attached to the column switches, don't they?

Can you have a look & see if they can be dismantled from the plastic? The whole lot will be getting dunked in a bath of alkaline etch, so materials, plastics & electricals, etcetera will be a no-no.

I assume the ally part will be push-fit, screw-on or located with grub screws rather than just caps or covers.

Anyone else know?

#57 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I fitted them and they are all metal. They just slip over then a grub screw to tighten them up. To fit them you have to saw off the plastic ones.

#58 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

To fit them you have to saw off the plastic ones.

Brave!

#59 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

All - apologies for the lack of any progress or updates here. I'm going to contact Mansfield in the next couple of days with the final list of parts. Before I do, are we all done and is everybody in? Given their lack of enthusiasm for this whole affair, I don't want to muck them about changing things once we've committed to an order. Luke, if you're going for everything else, chuck in the stalks and we'll see what they can do. If the grub screw on, I'd guess they'll be fine. Cheers

#60 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Whats does it work out cost wise mate for everyone?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicollow, anodising, black, coating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users