Photo

Anodising - Anyone Interested In Forming A Big Batch?

nicollow anodising black coating

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#61 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

:yeahthat: Also what are people doing about the fuel filler bolts (as obviously they would still be silver)?

#62 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4159ef317f

#63 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Beer, Diving, not necessarily in that order....

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Id quite like the fuel filler cap and surround done but thats all, any idea on a cost for this? And maybe an idea of how to remove the metal part from the cap itself......

Edited by jamesclarkson, 16 January 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#64 Way-aye-pete

Way-aye-pete

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi Mr DCG, I am still in for just my fuel filler.... intrested in more details on logistics and final price? Cheers Pete

#65 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Id quite like the fuel filler cap and surround done but thats all, any idea on a cost for this?

And maybe an idea of how to remove the metal part from the cap itself......

If its anything like mine was,its an absolute pig to separate,I prized it away with a knife but it took a looong time

#66 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Id quite like the fuel filler cap and surround done but thats all, any idea on a cost for this?

And maybe an idea of how to remove the metal part from the cap itself......

If its anything like mine was,its an absolute pig to separate,I prized it away with a knife but it took a looong time

So its just a pressed fit, I will have a look at it later....

#67 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

The company don't do this sort of thing and can't give me a pricing structure that I can apply to this work (as I've said, they're set up for mass-produced, bulk processing.) I've put together an educated guess of costs based on their stated minimum batch price (£30+VAT) and the assumption they'll process these as between 3 and 7 batches.

I now get:
davemate: £7.79 to £16.23
Matt_S86: £17.14 to £35.71
ChrisS1: £16.37 to £34.08
haggi961: £22.86 to £47.61
Way-aye-Pete: £5.20 to £10.82
5oc: £7.79 to £16.23
Graeme Lambert: £5.20 to £10.82
Steelic: £19.48 to £40.58
jamesclarkson: £5.20 to £10.82
Me: £25.98 to £54.10 CONFIRMED

As before, on top of this you would need to pay for postage to and from me (Edinburgh).

Please use the usual quoted updates to confirm you're in with the arrangements as stated previously. To get this moving I'll set a deadline of midnight tonight to give people a chance to have a look after work.

As for the filler cap, IIRC Nicol used a socket & hammer... :o

#68 Way-aye-pete

Way-aye-pete

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Way-aye-Pete: £5.20 to £10.82 CONFIRMED

#69 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Huge variance in price between best and worst and then with adding postage each way on top makes it more than I want to spend really. Think I'll try and find someone local to me to do it. Thanks for the effort you put in though thumbsup

Way-aye-Pete: £5.20 to £10.82 CONFIRMED

#70 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Huge variance in price between best and worst and then with adding postage each way on top makes it more than I want to spend really. Think I'll try and find someone local to me to do it. Thanks for the effort you put in though thumbsup

No problem Chris. Like I say, the costing is educated guesswork. Once I've got people committed, we'll get a firm price.

To give you a benchmark though, Nicol paid around £70 (inc VAT+P&P) for his stuff (filler cap, winders, handbrake grip, gearknob, heater controls and dash plaque).

:)

#71 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Would it not work out cheaper mate if say one batch me and another lad who has the most stuff, then we just split the cost. Then everyone else in another batch where you all split the cost. I may as well stick my starter button in along with the other stuff would be rude not to :D

Edited by haggi961, 16 January 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#72 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm still in for this. G

#73 Steelic

Steelic

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yeah not sure I understand the more batches we have done the dearer it gets, bit confused on the 'Batch' system mentioned.

Edited by Steelic, 16 January 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#74 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think im going to have to drop out, I cant get the metal work off of the fuel cap. I think I might damage it if I do. Apologies.

#75 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I think im going to have to drop out, I cant get the metal work off of the fuel cap. I think I might damage it if I do. Apologies.

What do you mean exactly James?

G

#76 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

With my price are you roughly saying its could cost me £47.61?

#77 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I've plainly made a hash of explaining myself... :beat:

1 - I took Nicol's experience of a job this company did well for him and his suggestion we may get a better deal than the £70 he paid if a number of people got together

2 - I contacted the General Manager and he made it clear he's not keen on doing this but would as a one-off. They don't have a price as such but he said that based on the pictures and description I sent him (see #31) he would charge the minimum batch price of £30+VAT+P&P. I said I'd try to gauge interest but committed to making it a pain-free process for them.

3 - I don't yet know what he considers a "batch" as that will likely depend on the total number, size and shape of the components and how easy they will be to process.

4 - To try and gauge genuine interest, I reckon people will want to know ballpark £££, so I've guessed the price based on minimal info and guessed at how many batches he will consider our big pile of aluminium parts to be. I've gone with a range. If they charge per batch and they need to sort our various parts into a larger number of batches, the total cost would go up and therefore people's contribution would also go up.

5 - In post #31, to give everyone an idea of how I worked out the prices, I stated the items as a percentage of a batch (my own guesswork but as other people subsequently added other items, I altered the %s a bit, so see screenshot below)

6 - From there, I worked out a total cost, and divided up the total by the guessed % each person's order contributed to it.

To give you an idea of how I went about the calculations, here's a screenshot of the spreadsheet I used (not totally up to date as the latest was last updated at work). My thought process and method might be a bit 'unique' (crappy), so let's not get hung-up on anything below:
Posted Image

7 - The cost could easily be the lower amount but using Nicol's cost of £70 puts even the higher amount into perspective. My, bigger order coming in at a maximum of £54 seems pretty good value (see #67).

I can't stress enough that I'm not quoting definite prices here. This was only ever intended to give people a ballpark to work with so that I can get a final price. I also needed to make sure anyone involved was happy with the arrangements for sending their parts to me so that the order could go to the anodisers in one shipment.

Hope this makes sense and gives some answers to people. Probably not. I may give up...
:blink:

#78 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

What do you mean exactly James?

G

I have the surround off but the piece on the cap itself just seems to be pretty thin and well stuck and I dont want to bend it. I cant see a good way of doing it unless anyone can shine some light on it?

#79 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Unfortunately there's no good way, it's a sod of a job! Just be very patient as Its very time consuming or it was in my case

#80 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Im up for it still and also stick my stater button in it if everyone is still doing that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicollow, anodising, black, coating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users