Photo

Replacing Engine Bulkhead Firewall Material

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

I always thought it was for high energy impact absorption and not fire, if a piston or conrod decides to exit the engine and head for the occupants ....

Which is why the alloy on my vx bulkhead is made from aerospace spec stuff.

#42 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

I always thought it was for high energy impact absorption and not fire, if a piston or conrod decides to exit the engine and head for the occupants ....

I reckon it probably would be good at stopping a piston, it's multi-weave and quite hard to penetrate as I remember. I can't imagine many OEM Vaux engines (with OEM map) throw a piston out of the block though!  

My guess is the NA version got type approval easily as it's exhaust side is the other side. When it came to the VXT though, nobody considered the fact the engine was the other way round with a 900 degree turbo (with oil feeds) just a few inches away from the absorbent bulkhead.

I can't remember exactly, but isn't there a perishable oil feed on the VXT, from the hard pipe to the turbo? If so in another few years it won't surprise me that some of them start to fail due to age/heat... :(

Edited by Nev, 03 February 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#43 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

yes felt material , will probably use a stanley knife, but access is a bit of a pain. does not seem to be anything really holding it in

That stuff melts quite easy, so a hot knife works better.

(If is need to drill a hole in that stuff, I just take a hot spikey thing and melt it through...)

#44 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

would the metal bits not pass through the tank first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users