• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi All, Quick question for the guru's.... Exige S2 with 2 pots& RS14's (both running R888's Fast road Nitrons.) VX220 with 2 pots RS14's (ABS off) My friends S2 seems to have an enormous amount more initial bite than I do in the vx220, similarly he has a very solid pedal where as mine is a little mushy and lacking feel. Other than the ABS 4 channel on the Exige and the fact that I have my ABS off is there any difference in the Master Cylinder / Brake Servo's? Is there any truth to the rumour that with the ABS turned off there is still a possibility we are still loosing rear bias to some extent..... due to the abs system reducing the rear bias to stop the rears locking even with the ABS disconnected? Scuffers? Randy? For Cliffee's race car are you not tempted to go down this route..... if the above rumour is true? http://www.hofmanns....vo-deletion-kit My servo pipe is in good nick and the brakes are okay, just not sure whether to do down the ABS delete route or 4 channel ABS? to try and improve the feel? Any help very much appreciated. Firthy

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

are you sure yours is bled up correctly?

#3 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Try bleeding the brakes again sounds like a bit of trapped air,

#4 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

ABS delete will be an instant MOT failure thumbsdown

#5 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yes I'm sure they are bled fine.... always done a BOT and it's just had fluid, they are fine on the road and the pedal feels solid, I'm talking about really pushing when on track..... The initial bite and frankly power just doesn't seem to be there any where near like my mates S2 Exige. Is there no way round that Vocky..... even with the light out etc? Firthy

#6 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

If you fit a switch to turn it of and on

Edited by Bumblebee, 24 March 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#7 Bojang

Bojang

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I find the switch works well, i have it hidden from sight, easy and cheap mod :)

#8 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yes I'm sure they are bled fine.... always done a BOT and it's just had fluid, they are fine on the road and the pedal feels solid, I'm talking about really pushing when on track.....

The initial bite and frankly power just doesn't seem to be there any where near like my mates S2 Exige.

Is there no way round that Vocky..... even with the light out etc?

Firthy

Have you got steel brake lines?

#9 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Is there no way round that Vocky..... even with the light out etc?

Firthy

the MOT guys do not actually test the ABS so if you were able to turn the ABS light out then no one would know?

#10 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks P11 COV that's what I mean't..... The ABS is off at the moment, and has been for years. (I'm talking about ABS delete for clarity guys) I don't have braided hoses but neither does my mate....

Edited by Firthy, 24 March 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

the MOT guys do not actually test the ABS so if you were able to turn the ABS light out then no one would know?

But the examiner needs to see the ABS diagnostic light come on and then turn off with the ignition. So binning the light won't help. Their computer system also tells them whether the car should come equipped with ABS or not. How diligent they are is open to question.

I too felt the immediate initial bite improvement (and just how much harder you could brake generally with the 4 channel system) after driving somebodies Elise 111R at a Walshy day. Came home that night and bought one, never looked back since.

#12 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

But the examiner needs to see the ABS diagnostic light come on and then turn off with the ignition. So binning the light won't help. Their computer system also tells them whether the car should come equipped with ABS or not. How diligent they are is open to question.

I too felt the immediate initial bite improvement (and just how much harder you could brake generally with the 4 channel system) after driving somebodies Elise 111R at a Walshy day. Came home that night and bought one, never looked back since.

Thanks Techie,

I have heard a lot of people say the same thing.... I just wonder what that ABS unit actually does when we disconnect it?

It makes sense to me that there may well be some truth to the rear ABS bias rumour.... Would be interesting to hear from someone who actually knows for sure...

#13 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

I'd never heard about the whole quasi EBD part of our ABS until Bargi posted up his big post on it. Seems like the cure is, if you want to run without ABS at least, to disconnect a speed sensor on a front wheel as usual and also the speed sensor on the offside rear wheel (not the nearside as that feeds the speedo). Guess it's easy enough to see whether doing that really does bypass the whole ABS/EBD system and solves the initial bite/feel problem by unplugging the connector at the rear wheel.

#14 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Bargi's EBD post

#15 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Cheers Techie, I will give that a bash..... its very interesting Bargi's thread and I knew I had read it somewhere, It would be nice to have a second ABS switch if possible so that the bloody sensors aren't free to flick about..... Has anyone done a second switch? Firthy

#16 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Interesting, so it's not just the better ABS sensitivity it's also changed braking feel and "performance" as such?

#17 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

ABS delete will be an instant MOT failure thumbsdown/>

not if it is a car used for Motorsport.

New guidelines started 20th March, mine passed this week with advisory:- Motorsport vehicle.

#18 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

ABS delete will be an instant MOT failure thumbsdown/>

not if it is a car used for Motorsport.

New guidelines started 20th March, mine passed this week with advisory:- Motorsport vehicle.

What do you have Martylemoo do you have the Hoffmanns setup?

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

MOT changes this year, specifically this bit http://www.dft.gov.u...1 2013 V1.0.pdf Modified Vehicles Where a vehicle has been extensively modified or converted, certain Reasons for Rejection, such as for components ‘missing where fitted as standard’ should not be applied, for example:  a car converted for rally use (i.e. rear seats removed and fitted with a roll cage and full harness seat belts etc.) may have been converted so as not to require a brake servo, power steering or airbags

#20 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

So looks like a get out of jail free card :-D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brake servo, Master Cylinder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users