• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

So then the big question is what do I do? ABS Delete or 4 channel..... I'm leaning towards 4 channel.... Techie can you confirm that the car Now stops like that 111r did? Is there noticeably more power? Elliot

#22 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

You should have tried mine yesterday Elliot!

#23 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Can't you just try the abs delete see how you get on and then go for the 4 channel if needed? Or is it not as simple as that

#24 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Could try the Bargi method first on track yes

#25 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

You should have tried mine yesterday Elliot!

I know! I think I'm going to ask Jez to have a look at the pistons and if needed refurb the callipers first!

Then take it from there... Will definitely try bargi method as well :)

#26 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

I discovered something about the ABS yesterday. I had a ABS switch wired to the front right wheel but recently the ABS light remained off whichever way it was switched so I removed it to try and trace the issue. I couldn't so have continued to use the car thinking it was like having the ABS off. Yesterday on track I noticed I was getting the same hard pedal problems I used to get on track and then Lee suggested that I disconnect the ABS again even though I assumed it wasn't working anyway. Sure enough it cured the problem and the car braked fantastically. (PF pads) I still need to sort it out for the MOT though.

#27 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Can't you just try the abs delete see how you get on and then go for the 4 channel if needed? Or is it not as simple as that

No not as simple as that. When you go from 2 channel to 4 channel you just change the electrical controller on top of the abs manifold block. When you delete you remove the manifol block and all the plumbing associated with it

ie this lot

Posted Image

Once the plunge is taken there is NO going back lol

Great news about the 'motorsport' clause in the mot regs though thumbsup saves me implementing the electrical mods I was going for to cheat the lights!!

#28 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

The thing that worries me is the frequency they seem to be changing the MOT regs, Motorsport clause seems like a get out of jail free card. So I would assume it will be open to abuse, which will probably mean its removed/refined before long... This will be a pain in the arse if you (for example) delete your ABS this year, then next year it fails for it!

#29 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

The thing that worries me is the frequency they seem to be changing the MOT regs, Motorsport clause seems like a get out of jail free card. So I would assume it will be open to abuse, which will probably mean its removed/refined before long... This will be a pain in the arse if you (for example) delete your ABS this year, then next year it fails for it!

I've got another thread running on this. A very simple wiring mod can operate the lights if required and fool any tester. I was going to do it today but after reading this thread I do g see theneed.

That said Ive got to take my dash back off later do might test then :)

#30 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Digging up an old thread... Firthy, did you manage to improve the feel and bite of your brakes in the end? I'm running rs14's on my NA with the 4 channel abs and the initial bite doesn't feel that great. They manage to stop the car quickly and resist fade but I went out in Kierans VX that's running some PF pads (plus different discs) and the bite and power that he had felt much better. I think my problem is that the calipers are binding a little so probably just need a refurb but was interested to hear you had the same experience.

#31 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hi Captain! It's just the pads tbh as you found out! I had the BOT boys re-bleed the brakes I'm now very happy with the 2 pots ABS off. The RS14 are good pads nice modulation feel, but the PF and CL6's are just so much more aggressive and the initial bite at high speed is just on another level entirely. I am copying what Mark has on his race car, so will go cl6's next I think the general consensus is If you like a more solid brake pedal and an aggressive bite more trickier modulation go CL6 PF you already know about :)

Edited by Firthy, 16 March 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#32 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

exige abs unit. made all the difference after experiencing the same issues as you Elliot. 

#33 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'm quite happy at the moment tbh..... I have driven Marks car on the CL6's and it felt pretty damn good to me!

#34 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

i really can't decide what to buy pad wise. 

CL6, RS14, RS42, DS2500, DS3000, 1155s :beat:

I also though mark's brakes were awesome at pembrey

#35 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

I would go Performance friction on 4 pots my friend has this setup on his 4 pots 300 bhp exige and it's incredible more feel than CL6. You need feel with the 4 pots or they lock to easily apparently! I have driven it hard and they are mega!

Edited by Firthy, 16 March 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#36 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

Destroyers of wheels though :( And require an additional mortgage

#37 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

I have heard this to, but my friends have been okay actually. Not that he is big on cleaning though! It's always filthy!

Edited by Firthy, 16 March 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#38 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

I discovered something about the ABS yesterday. I had a ABS switch wired to the front right wheel but recently the ABS light remained off whichever way it was switched so I removed it to try and trace the issue. I couldn't so have continued to use the car thinking it was like having the ABS off. Yesterday on track I noticed I was getting the same hard pedal problems I used to get on track and then Lee suggested that I disconnect the ABS again even though I assumed it wasn't working anyway. Sure enough it cured the problem and the car braked fantastically. (PF pads) I still need to sort it out for the MOT though.

Paul, on my car if you reconnect the circuit by flicking the switch back or plugging the sensor back in at the hub then the ABS light does not go out straight away. Did you mean ABS light on ? (e.g. fault detected)

I find that the light stays on until I've done a few journeys and 2 or 3 igniton starts. Then the fault clears and the light goes out. 

#39 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Hi Captain! It's just the pads tbh as you found out! I had the BOT boys re-bleed the brakes I'm now very happy with the 2 pots ABS off. The RS14 are good pads nice modulation feel, but the PF and CL6's are just so much more aggressive and the initial bite at high speed is just on another level entirely. I am copying what Mark has on his race car, so will go cl6's next I think the general consensus is If you like a more solid brake pedal and an aggressive bite more trickier modulation go CL6 PF you already know about :)

Given the cost and reputation of the RS14's I had high hopes so it'll be a shame if I can't get these pads feeling a bit better on initial bite and the others have a reputation as wheels wreckers. I assume you're still using the RS14's at the moment?

#40 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

Given the cost and reputation of the RS14's I had high hopes so it'll be a shame if I can't get these pads feeling a bit better on initial bite and the others have a reputation as wheels wreckers. I assume you're still using the RS14's at the moment?

Yes still using them, I have watched your Snetterton vids and your car seems to stop pretty well :) as you can see from my last outing at Silverstone mine stop okay  although I am going to get Jez to double check them as the car seem to be pulling under braking a bit.

I think its just the characteristic of the pad and what you prefer, I am not a massively experienced track driver so I'm still learning a lot every track day I do. Talking to Jez about the problem after this thread he sat me down and explained how hard I needed to push on the pedal. TBH I really wasn't hitting the pedal hard enough so since I started working on my braking technique... I have enjoyed the pads a lot more. 

I am using so much more force on the middle pedal compared to what I used to (almost as hard as I can push) the car does stop well now I have relatively good feel and I don't lock up that often even in the wet they have pretty good modulation.

That said the initial bite doesn't seem as aggressive as the others, but tbh I'm a lot happier with the braking than I was.

Having driven Marks car and my friends on CL6 they are definately in a different league on initial bite and give a much more solid brake pedal feel... That said I would think they are a little more difficult to modulate in the wet :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brake servo, Master Cylinder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users