• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#41 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

why do all your words start with capitals? don't you get fed up pressing shift all the time to type..

#42 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Makes no odds to me that you want to BODGE wishbones to make YOUR hubs fit. (See I Can Do Capital Letters Too)

#43 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

#44 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Bending wishbones has got to compromise the car more than cutting 20mm of 1mm aluminium from the area above the tank :D

Edited by joe_589, 10 April 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#45 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

I love threads like this... Happy days :) Modifying wishbones is for sure stupid. I trust Joe is pulling your leg, or did you actually bodge your 'bones?!?

#46 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

On every single car that has eliseparts gt hubs fitted I guarantee the bones are bent

Edited by joe_589, 10 April 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#47 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

its mikes large wheel size that have caused the bones to be modified (they are not bent, they are just dinted.. somewhat.. with a large hammer) not the hubs, standard wheels like mine would be fine..... i think. scuffs could you like to confirm that?

#48 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Joe you are a legend a true legend lol

#49 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

It's done on Jamie's exige aswell. It's a proper BODGE. From a extreme suspension and chassis guru like scuffers I expected a redesigned wishbone but no a hammer Job done

#50 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

It's done on Jamie's exige aswell.

It's a proper BODGE. From a extreme suspension and chassis guru like scuffers I expected a redesigned wishbone but no a hammer

Job done

no, your just a complete tool...

the wishbone is not 'bent' as you put it, we are talking about a small crease in the tube to clear the inside edge f the rim.

the reason this problem is there is because of the design of the rimms, Mike's budget did not stretch to new rims, and the only other option was to space them out even more - at which point the bodywork fouls.

James is actually a different cause, the original T45 wishbones were a few MM further out than idea, and with Jamies J9.5 rimms and low ride heights, it became a problem, (if Mike's car was running std J8 or even j8.5 rims, this issue would not exist.)

all that said, both Mikes and Jamies wishbones are not Lotus ERW ones, Mike's are CDS and Jamie's T45, both are way stronger than required and the small crease in the side of the tube has very little effect on their integrity.

(if Mike's car was running std J8 or even j8.5 rims, this issue would not exist.)

Now, if you want to keep on casting assertions, go for it, I am sure it's all very amusing, if you're a 5 year old.

Back to the subject in hand, if you cut out the access hole to the point of cutting away the panel where the fold/crease is in it, that's the part that adds strength to the structure.

that panel is only really attached to the side rails at the top face, (the front side is only butted up against the side rails), it's the fold of the two top edges that gives the panel it's strenght, and you have just cut through one of them.

tell you what, take a piece of cardboard, put a ~80 degree fold in it, then stand it on it's end.

now put a book on it.

now cut a hole in it that goes across the fold, and try putting the book back on it.

come on, this is not rocket science, it's very basic structural engineering.

what makes this all worse is there is absolutely no need to do it, yes, it takes a bit longer to drop the tank, but so what? half a hour vs. butchering the car.

#51 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

you don't need to cut to the fold - i didn't, however my new cover extends over the fold anyway even if this panel is of any structural significance, putting a cover on the new hole and bolting it down must put most/all/more of that strength back

#52 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

you don't need to cut to the fold - i didn't, however my new cover extends over the fold anyway
even if this panel is of any structural significance, putting a cover on the new hole and bolting it down must put most/all/more of that strength back

sadly, not even close....

#53 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

is this guy a troll?

#54 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

is this guy a troll?

how did you work that out?

just because you (and others) refuse to understand basic concepts, does not make the person pointing them out a troll.

#55 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Scuffs, when you cut the access hole bigger you dont go near the crease, you just make the hole longer (towards the centre) but the width (front to back) stays the same, you cut litterally 10mm away. Just just the pump out.

#56 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

This one is close to the crease,

Posted Image

mine however is cut about 10/20mm away from the crease.

#57 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Scuffs, when you cut the access hole bigger you dont go near the crease, you just make the hole longer (towards the centre) but the width (front to back) stays the same, you cut litterally 10mm away. Just just the pump out.

well, I am going on this picture:

Posted Image

that's totally compromised the pannel.

consider that it;s only the top face of the tank cover that's joined to the side rails, (you can see from that picture, the front face is not really attached to the rail (there's a filet extrusion behind it but that's all), and now with this hole cut out, you have just lost the connection to the front face.

#58 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Well you see the rivnut on the left, on the top closest to the crease, well that is what where the edge of my hole is.

#59 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Also, you say they are meant to crease when being hit which is fine, but doesnt putting in a rollcage completely counter this creasing?

#60 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Also, you say they are meant to crease when being hit which is fine, but doesnt putting in a rollcage completely counter this creasing?

??

and no.

Roll cage is not there to stop the two 'leggs' being push together (unless you have one with a horizontal bar between the bolt faces?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users