• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#41 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

fingers tightly crossed though as has been said, dogs (animals in general) are extremely adaptive and can and do live a wonderful life even without sight

#42 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

did the vet suggest give up the squicking for a bit

Idiot :lol:

#43 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

any test results yet goose??

#44 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

any test results yet goose??

Later on Chris.

#45 Silent Steve

Silent Steve

Tit

• 2,000 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Best of luck. Hope Agatha is OK.

#46 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

fingers tightly crossed though as has been said, dogs (animals in general) are extremely adaptive and can and do live a wonderful life even without sight

this one seems fine

#47 moospeed

moospeed

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ooh, only just seen this. This is the fierce animal that barks at runners ;) Good luck chow chow. I understand pet relationships as our 17 year old cat was put down just a couple of weeks ago. It really is like we lost a family member, which we did I guess :( Btw, happy birthday for Friday Goose - last one starting with a 3 eh?

#48 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

this one seems fine

thatll make goosenka feel great that....

#49 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ooh, only just seen this. This is the fierce animal that barks at runners ;)/>

Good luck chow chow.

I understand pet relationships as our 17 year old cat was put down just a couple of weeks ago. It really is like we lost a family member, which we did I guess :(/>

Btw, happy birthday for Friday Goose - last one starting with a 3 eh?

399... bloody hell. I wouldn't have put him at a day over 240.

#50 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

So, the last 24 hours.... There is no doubt they have been the worst. She showed signs of improvement and the swelling in her eyes and pressure had reduced. Yesterday though the pressure had increased. The opthalmologist having had a discussion with a Professor in Bristol has come to the conclusion that she may have something called Uveodermatalogical Syndrome. A muthafucker of a thing which gets triggered for no reason and the body attacks parts of the body. In this case her eyes. It is an auto immune syndrome. No way of testing for it and having spoken to my friend the breeder who has bred chows for 25 years has never even heard of it. So not much luck there then. The only way I can describe it in easy terms, is someone who runs everyday, doesn't smoke, fit and healthy getting cancer. With no family history of it. So Tash and I have spent 24 hours in tears as we have some decisions to make. The success of this is in controlling the immediate symptoms to a point that you can stabalize it all. There is no doubt she has no sight now. If they can not control it we may have to decide to remove her eyes. Not catastrohic in some respects (I am not being churlish by any means). Given she can not see now I can tell you she appeared no different and just got on with it. So last night we went to see her and she went spastic. I mean Chows are mellow and indifferent about most things but man you should have seen her. Kissed us until our faces melted. Brought some lovely cooked chicken for her and some of her toys to make her feel better. Took her for a walk in the vets massive garden and spent a good 1.5 hours brushing and pampering her. She has one of those rubbish cones on her head as I guess they want to ensure she doesn't rub her eyes. Great to see her spirit and a real credit. Trust me it was heart breaking as you know there is something sh*t happening. Spoke to vet this morning and John says things are looking better this morning as they had tweaked her medication. But it is a waiting game. Once again the words and messages of support are so uplifting. Whilst I may not get around to replying to everyone I can assure I am bursting with thanks and thats from Tash as well. Thankyou so much for you all just being great.

#51 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Jeez Goose :( I hope Aggy can come home soon. I guess some adapting by both you and her, but she can if you can thumbsup Hope to hear some positive news soon, keeping my fingers crossed.

#52 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Jeez Goose :(

I hope Aggy can come home soon. I guess some adapting by both you and her, but she can if you can thumbsup

Hope to hear some positive news soon, keeping my fingers crossed.

We have resigned ouselves to the fact that she will have no sight and honestly I don't give a sh*t. I just want it controlled and for her to come home. If she shows stability over the next 24 hours she may come home with medication. It will be long road but I am a tough bastard with things like this and will never give up. No matter the cost. I can not recommend insurance enough. I am 100% there will be something the insurance company will come up with not to pay everything. 48 hrs and £1,900....bit like VX ownership eh?!

Edited by Goosenka, 25 April 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#53 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Although not great news at least having the problem diagnosed means you can see how's best to deal with it. Really do feel for you as these little mutts steal our hearts and make a house a home. Fingers crossed for you and sending best wishes. :grouphug:

#54 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

You may be surprised with the insurance company. I have had large claims for major opps on two dogs, 2k plus for one and had no problems with the pay outs. Hope all goes well with the claim and the improvements continue. Not sure about removing the eyes unless absolutely necessary, obviously the vets know best and you have to go along with recommendations but you all may think she is fully blind but still may be able to see light and dark or vague shadows and who knows if you can not get slight improvement over years . I am sure you will do whats best I know it will not help but a few of us me included have been through similar sh*t and feel for you. Keep your chin up !

#55 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

You may be surprised with the insurance company. I have had large claims for major opps on two dogs, 2k plus for one and had no problems with the pay outs.

Hope all goes well with the claim and the improvements continue.

Not sure about removing the eyes unless absolutely necessary, obviously the vets know best and you have to go along with recommendations but you all may think she is fully blind but still may be able to see light and dark or vague shadows and who knows if you can not get slight improvement over years .

I am sure you will do whats best

I know it will not help but a few of us me included have been through similar sh*t and feel for you.

Keep your chin up !

Yes everyone who is a pet owner can/will/might go through this. We have no kids so she falls into the surrogate child position. Seemingly nothing you can do about that one!

Thanks for your positive words :thumbsup:

#56 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

You may be surprised with the insurance company. I have had large claims for major opps on two dogs, 2k plus for one and had no problems with the pay outs.

Hope all goes well with the claim and the improvements continue.

Not sure about removing the eyes unless absolutely necessary, obviously the vets know best and you have to go along with recommendations but you all may think she is fully blind but still may be able to see light and dark or vague shadows and who knows if you can not get slight improvement over years .

I am sure you will do whats best

I know it will not help but a few of us me included have been through similar sh*t and feel for you.

Keep your chin up !

Yes everyone who is a pet owner can/will/might go through this. We have no kids so she falls into the surrogate child position. Seemingly nothing you can do about that one!

Thanks for your positive words : thumbsup:

Listen I have three kids eldest is 29, they just bleed you dry for 20 odd years then p*ss off :lol: To be fair you will hear from them from time to time, When they want money or something fixing :lol:

Better off with a dog. :lol:

#57 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

So quick update on the Bear. Just got back from the vet. One eye good one eye not so good. He feels there is sight in one eye as the retinas have reattached seemingly well but the other needs more time. She is well in herself and walking more confidently everyday. Frankly, I am make making her work as normal and not pampering to anything. It's still early days but a fairly good report from the vet. As for me, well still a bag of nerves. Looked in the mirror today and my hair has greyed and I look utter sh*t. Trying to sell houses as well as looking for work as well as dog is taking it's toll. Lost 1/2 stone as well which isn't a bad thing but not in this way. Deep breath and forge on I say. :thumbsup:

#58 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Steps in the right direction Goose. Stay positive and look after yourself as well as bear. chinky chinky.

#59 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

That's brilliant news, fingers still crossed! thumbsup

#60 Goosenka

Goosenka

• 12,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thanks guys. I've wondered down the pub for a beer and two Queen songs on the bounce has my heading rhythmically nodding :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users