• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#401 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

Rule changes for next year. It' now 2 x 18 min + 1 lap races per round.

rounds are

Oulton

Silverstone National

Rockingham issc

Donington National

Power is now at the flywheel and not the wheels, class A up to 300hp/tonne, B up to 240hp/tonne, C up to 180hp/tonne.

#402 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

Do the rule changes affect any of your plans for the car?

#403 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

Not really, I knew the shorter races were coming which means I don't need a larger tank (not sure about the pump yet as it's original).

The flywheel power works out about the same or if anything slightly higher, I could probably go up to about 220 bhp. Only issue is who does the measuring, means I probably won' go all the way to 220 bhp to give myself a little fudge factor for an over enthusiastic rolling road.

#404 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Did a fuel learn session and a power run. Came out at 203bp and 265Nm. When I get a spare second I'll start adjusting things and see if I can get it up to 220hp.

Feels alot quicker and the higher rev limit is nice. That first run was with a limit of 6700, going to change that to 6800 but no higher.

#405 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Did a fuel learn session and a power run. Came out at 203bp and 265Nm. When I get a spare second I'll start adjusting things and see if I can get it up to 220hp.

Feels alot quicker and the higher rev limit is nice. That first run was with a limit of 6700, going to change that to 6800 but no higher.

What's the physical limiting factor for RPM on your engine - is it the valve springs?

#406 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:10 PM

Yeah valve springs. I could probably go a bit higher and still be safe but I don't want to.

#407 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

I think keeping the standard TB has increased my torque slightly. 265nm is 195lbft. Hard trying to get stage 1 example but from what I can see its reasonable. Hopefully that'll increase a little more once I've done a little tinkering.

#408 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

Busiest races I've had last weekend. Top 5 cars finished within 3 seconds of each other.

https://youtu.be/dA75MA6lU9w

Going to be speaking to someone before the next race though as there is blatant disregard for yellow flags which if you are actually obaying them screws your race when people that aren't are not getting penalised.

Race 2 is rendering now.

#409 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Surprised how quickly you caught the back markers. It certainly made for an interesting race. All came back alive at the end as the top 5 came back together! Interesting to see how the different weights make the cars quicker/slower on certain bits of the track. Makes for some strategic thinking on positioning to take advantage! Gear selection... a couple of times you stayed in 4th on the straight and it seemed to make us much easier through Copse as you didnt need to think about the down change, might be better to stay in 4th and just hit the limiter briefly? Same down the back straight or at least block change down to 3rd into brooklands while on the brakes? That move by the BMW at the end should have earned a penalty for crowding you off the track. I assume you didnt report to the stewards?

#410 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:53 PM

Cocked up my gears a few times where I was slowed more than normal in a corner and forgot I needed to be in an even lower gear haha.

Yeah, having to change down 2 gears is a bit of a pain so probably worth while doing what you said.

I was pleased with how I got lost time back from being slowed by back markers, a few times th 4 in front got past before the corner and I was the one stuck. Only the supercopa which started at the rear put in a faster lap than me that race.

No I didn't report him. That' 3 races I'm a row he's done it to someone although he hit the person in the race at Rockingham .

Rockingham the next race on the 9th June, I really need to find space and get quali nailed. Also when defending I need to leave no room on the inside and force them round the outside.

#411 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

Man that look like frustrating racing, I'm so glad I'm in a single class series. It must be so easy to lose your cool being held up in the corners and left for dead on the straights. Some of those back markers are terrible too, really unpredictable and some seeming not to know what the racing line is.

Looked like the conditions were great though, nice vid  thumbsup

#412 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

Epic weekend at Rockingham, always been a bit of a "meh" circuit but I'm really starting to like it.

I've not driven there with the current power and all my competitors had done the test day the day before so I was on the back foot.

5 o'clock came down to help and nd to also watch his old VX race in a differnet series. He brought his pit board and I asked him to display my position in class and gap to next guy during quali to spur me on.

I had 8 laps to get settled in and find out if turn 1 was still flat out and to put in 2 quick times for my 2 races. It is, found that out on my second lap, the car is so much better with working suspension.

Mark was holding up P1 and +2.0 so I kept pushing as I knew they may be just warming up. It wentdown to P1 +1 and mark waved me on quicker and it went back up to 1.5.

it ended with me P1 and +0.5 with my fastest 2 laps being laps 7 and 8. Very happy to be ahead of the class. It wasn' until I got back to the pits that I found out it was P1 overall for both races by 0.5 of a second!

Race 1 I defended for 3 corners and then just drove away winning by 9 seconds. First ever race win :)

Race 2 I went off at turn 2 and rejoined in 4th. Got myself back to the front and the race was red flagged a lap and a half later and the result called. Best race I've had and plenty of action. My main competitor is very slightly quicker in a straight line but I was so much quicker under braking and corners.

I also got the fastest lap which was 1.39.29, that's the SCC long.

Race 2 video here, worth a watch :)

https://youtu.be/Ns8T1XS0lMg

#413 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

As the pit wall is a fair way from the track I wasn't sure if you could see me madly gesticulating that you needed to push. Obviously you could :D 

#414 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

Congrats Mark, great result!

Great recovery in race 2 to take the win!

#415 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:30 AM

Cracking drive! Looks fun too...

#416 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

Congratulations mate, I bet the champagne tasted great :)

#417 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

As the pit wall is a fair way from the track I wasn't sure if you could see me madly gesticulating that you needed to push. Obviously you could :D

Being the only guy on the wall with a board it was pretty easy to spot! :D

Edited by Zoobeef, 13 June 2018 - 07:51 AM.

#418 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

Cheers, no champagne, or hats :( Just Laurels which I've had to put straight in the garage as they stink of plastic!

The cars is great fun to drive now.

#419 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

Caterham racing has Champagne and hats 😉 nudge, nudge.

#420 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:16 AM

Well done Mark. Very impressive. You must be over the moon thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users