• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

So as a bit of a follow on from Darcini's thread, I've been toying with this idea for a while now, I bought the rear light over a year ago, this weekend I finally got round to hacking it apart!

Here are the results and current plan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Create a lovely little circuit board to fit in this gap, solder in some LED's and boosh!

Posted Image

Here is the layout I'd like it to have when finished, so it utilises the reflectors and gives more light on the rear end.

Posted Image

There are a few problems with this, I don't have enough red lenses, so I'm not sure how it would take to paint, if it looks crap I'll have to go down another avenue.

They technically won't be road legal, but that's the same with a lot of things...

Any thoughts? Improvements?

#2 Sammy

Sammy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

The standard rear lights look great as they are IMO. Especially the tail lights.

#3 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Quite like the idea but I think you should swap the tail lights with the indicators position, I seem to recall something about having the main rear light markers needing to be located at the outermost points of the vehicle? I may be wrong but it's one more technicality to bare in mind. The main benefit of your lense shuffling as I see it is acquiring a separate dedicated brake light, I never like the way on any vehicle where the tail lights simply get a bit brighter. Other than that it seems a lot of work when the overall look will not have changed much and you could of just put in regular LED replacement bulbs. When I eventually get hold of a rear cluster I intend moulding in LED ring units similar to the Elise.

#4 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

The standard rear lights look great as they are IMO. Especially the tail lights.

They will hardly look any different, a very slight change in lens colour, but I'd be surprised if anyone noticed without being told!

Quite like the idea but I think you should swap the tail lights with the indicators position, I seem to recall something about having the main rear light markers needing to be located at the outermost points of the vehicle? I may be wrong but it's one more technicality to bare in mind.

Position aren't set yet, and the good thing is all the lenses are the same size so the circuit boards are the same and they're easy to re-arrange :)

The main benefit of your lense shuffling as I see it is acquiring a separate dedicated brake light, I never like the way on any vehicle where the tail lights simply get a bit brighter.

That's the main reason for switching it about a bit as well, ideally I'm going to have the tail light running at a slightly lower brightness than the brake light as well.

Other than that it seems a lot of work when the overall look will not have changed much and you could of just put in regular LED replacement bulbs. When I eventually get hold of a rear cluster I intend moulding in LED ring units similar to the Elise.

I agree it's a fair bit of work, replacement LED bulbs won't look half as good though. Elise rear lamp units would look cool, but that even more work and a lot of moulding changes!

#5 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Will need to stick on some reflectors at MOT time for it to pass..

Bye, Arno.

#6 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

There are a few problems with this, I don't have enough red lenses, so I'm not sure how it would take to paint, if it looks crap I'll have to go down another avenue.

I've got a red ill swap you for a clear if that helps?

#7 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:some thankfully

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

I´ve done the same thing with a full set of white lenses.

#8 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

here some pics:

On the first pic the RH indicator (instead of the reflector) fell off on the inside diue to the glueing was not really good.

changed the glue and since then working w/o problems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

That looks really good with them all clear, a noticeable difference but still subtle. I'm hoping ill be able to find some replacement lenses that look OEM enough, but available new.

#10 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

What LEDs are you considering?

#11 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm going to try a few different combinations and see which work out best, I should have enough ultra bright standard 5mm LED's in work to do a set, I'm 99% sure they will be bright enough, there's probably going to be getting on for approx 100 LED's per lamp.

I also want to do a few 10mm versions, purely to see which one turns out better.

I also want to try coloured LED's behind clear lenses, coloured LED's behind coloured lenses and white LED's behind coloured lenses.

Basically it's all just trial and error at the moment!

#12 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

GF ORCE8, did you source the lens from another car/shop?

#13 GF ORCE8

GF ORCE8

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Did all the job based on used VX/Speedster lamps.

Just used LED bulbs.

Have also separated the tail and brake lights, because the "2-wire" led bulbs have hardly any difference in brightness between normal light and brake.

Have some pics how I´ve done it will upload later on.

Just a note! Clam need additional hole for the indicator instead of reflector because of wiring and bulb fixation

#14 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm going to try a few different combinations and see which work out best, I should have enough ultra bright standard 5mm LED's in work to do a set, I'm 99% sure they will be bright enough, there's probably going to be getting on for approx 100 LED's per lamp.   I also want to do a few 10mm versions, purely to see which one turns out better.   I also want to try coloured LED's behind clear lenses, coloured LED's behind coloured lenses and white LED's behind coloured lenses.   Basically it's all just trial and error at the moment!
Plcc4 smd leds are what you want. None of this thru hole shite.

#15 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Not gonna lie, I've done very little work with surface mount components, which is partially the reason I'm avoiding them, through hole LEDs are also a lot cheaper. Yes smd's have slightly better characteristics but value for money I don't think it's worth it! I'll give it a go with through hole, if I have to start again I'll start again...

#16 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hmmmmmmm Smd LEDs are a piece of p*ss to work with ime, and give a much more suitable light pattern etc as its the smd LEDs getting the development rather than the old fashioned thru hole stuff. Granted the unit price thing is true, but then if you need less it will probably work out cheaper

#17 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Your probably right, but I'll give it a go with through hole first as I already have enough components, if I have to go surface mount then I will but I really don't want to! However it ends up there will be more light output than the original candles!! 😃

#18 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

You will be surprised what a 5 or 21 w bulb actually puts out light wise. Its just the stupid lens that spoil the party. Two or three cree LEDs would see you chucking more out than you'd know what to do with.

#19 Enuk

Enuk

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Was just reading this topic, and wondering if you know where can I get "OEM like" clear lenses? I am struggling to find them. Many Thanks.

#20 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:22 PM

http://www.vx220.org...-racing-lenses/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users