• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Good effort. It looks like all your work has paid off. What's next?

#42 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

Make it fit properly! :) Roof and engine cover need re vinyling, also got sone louvres that may fit instead if grills. Accident damaged / repaired front clam to go on soon with the vents a-top of wheel etc... If im feeling ambitious got a few ideas in store for it, but sure as yet.. Think next on the list will be to tidy up the exhaust..

#43 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

If you don't mind me asking how did you make the coupe back? Or did you buy it?

Looks really good. Top work

Cheers Al

#44 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

Wow, plenty of hard work has gone into that, well done.

#45 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Good work there and looks really original. I like the dressing of the lower part of the rear clam and the diffusser fitment.

#46 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

If you don't mind me asking how did you make the coupe back? Or did you buy it?

Looks really good. Top work

Cheers Al

The rear coupe section is I believe a S1 exige roof, that my friend had lying about...

Its roughly the same width as the butresses on the VX, with a bit cut off each side..

Then with a second hand rollbar cover (in blue) moulded to the top end of it..

Posted Image

Standard bootlid cut in half, but with the locking section retained, with the end other end of the roof moulded to that..

Then, with a S2 exige roof used as the roof with the larger S1 scoop bonded onto it...

It all works, but it just needs tidying up etc....

The vinyl on the roof and coupe back is frankly, gash so might re-configure / re design them slightly...

#47 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

If you don't mind me asking how did you make the coupe back? Or did you buy it?   Looks really good. Top work   Cheers Al

The rear coupe section is I believe a S1 exige roof, that my friend had lying about...   Its roughly the same width as the butresses on the VX, with a bit cut off each side..   Then with a second hand rollbar cover (in blue) moulded to the top end of it..     Standard bootlid cut in half, but with the locking section retained, with the end other end of the roof moulded to that..   Then, with a S2 exige roof used as the roof with the larger S1 scoop bonded onto it...   It all works, but it just needs tidying up etc....   The vinyl on the roof and coupe back is frankly, gash so might re-configure / re design them slightly...

Thanks very much for the run through on it. I've been thinking about doing a project like this for my self. It looks amazing IMO. Al

#48 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

If you don't mind me asking how did you make the coupe back? Or did you buy it?   Looks really good. Top work   Cheers Al  

The rear coupe section is I believe a S1 exige roof, that my friend had lying about...   Its roughly the same width as the butresses on the VX, with a bit cut off each side..   Then with a second hand rollbar cover (in blue) moulded to the top end of it..     Standard bootlid cut in half, but with the locking section retained, with the end other end of the roof moulded to that..   Then, with a S2 exige roof used as the roof with the larger S1 scoop bonded onto it...   It all works, but it just needs tidying up etc....   The vinyl on the roof and coupe back is frankly, gash so might re-configure / re design them slightly...

Thanks very much for the run through on it. I've been thinking about doing a project like this for my self. It looks amazing IMO. Al

If you were thinking of doing a similar project, the only thing I would suggest is to buy second hand bodywork to hack about with! That was, incase it goes wrong its not the end of the world!

#49 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

Been very busy again with this...

Was never particually happy with it, didn't like the rear engine cover and also had a repaired front clam to fit...

So, now we have...

• Louvres in the rear cover
  • Removed 3rd stupid aerocatch from bootlid
  • Made new V, without Vauxhall badge
  • Front clam vents

Fancied a change from red aswell, so plastidiped the whole thing white...

Not perfect, by a long shot, but much better than the vinyl...

Still needs few bits tidying, but for the most part alright and in general aiming to keep this way for the summer and fiddle again next winter...

Anyway, photos...

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

Oh, and in the spirit of VX recycling...

Front clam before..

Posted Image

#51 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:44 PM

After:

Posted Image

I really lover this new coupe roof. Ive been thinking about something similar to badster roof but didn´t like it and have had my thoughts for a longer version.
But now I´m about to change my mind. :-)

So you are using a S2 hardtop and a S1 hardtop for the coupe?

Do you have a Picture of the car, rear side view, but not with the wing in the way?!

Good work.

BR, Per

#52 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

So you are using a S2 hardtop and a S1 hardtop for the coupe?

Do you have a Picture of the car, rear side view, but not with the wing in the way?!

Good work.

BR, Per

Correct, athough the S2 Hardtop has a S1 Roof scoop bonded onto it as seen below..

Posted Image

Before we started hacking about big time... The white piece below formed the coupe, which is S1 roof but although we tried it as a roof it didn't really appear to fit well at all.

Posted Image

The S2 roof fits better, but still doesn't fit as good as OEM obviously, and the roll bar cover was reformed to match the contour of the S2 roof.

The coupe section rear just about fits, but the 2 aerocaches clamp / compress it to give it a much better shape..

Pic without spoiler, although from ages ago...

Posted Image

#53 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

So I've been busy again on this. Was never really 100% happy with the design, so decided to go back to the drawing board.

I've always liked / loved the look of the S1 Motorsport Exige, specifically the rear end. So, I managed to get hold of a copy of 1 and seeing as the roof was originally an S1 exige roof, the 2 should have mated up. They sort of did, but not 100%. Anyway, bit of bodgery later and this is where I'm at.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It would have been fairly silly to not learn from the mistakes made previously and bits that didn't work. So...  It now has the standard boot catch relocated, works perfectly. Hinges removed, tinkered with a bit and relocated, again works surprisingly well.

I have tried with the idea of an automated / strut for the boot but well, couldn't get it to work so will just go for something like on the standard clam.

Also, because i'm an idiot the boot leaked like crazy before, so hopefully should have stopped that from happening.

I think the basic structure is now all there, it just needs a bit of sanding and getting it all looking sexy as its a bit rough round the edges at the moment.

#54 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

Looks much better

#55 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

Vast improvement.

#56 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Agreed - looks better with the Exige back.

#57 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

Love the holes in this coupe.

Matches the louvres in the front, and are much more stylish then the thorney coupe.

Carry on thumbsup

#58 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:57 PM

:yeahthat:

#59 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

Cheers for the comments guys.... I would agree as well, its a massive improvement. Toying with the idea of reinstating the third brake light, perhaps above the number plate or top of roof section? Ideas welcome...

#60 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

or top of roof section?

No!

Please do not screw around with the current line. It is now spot on. Anything else will ruin it.

Bodge it on the numbershield area whatever, but DO NOT touch the coupe part anymore.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users