• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#101 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

There are some really nice details on that Badster thing... Well its just bloody lovely to be fair!

Made some more progress on mine.. New wheels fitted after waiting what seemed like an age for the wheel bolts to turn up..

Front 'extension / vent' on fitted to both sides, though they require tiny bit of fiddling to match but thats no biggy...

At the rear, the new wheels have 20mm spacers (as do they front) and the rears would have caught the bodywork under severe cornering / compression etc.. So, wheel arches required to be bulked out a bit... There a copy of the existing arches, flexed out where required, riveted on, glassed it etc.. and then i'll cut out the existing clam where required beneath. In the area to be flared out they are unsurprisingly 20mm wider... :huh:

When the photos were taken it had the standard rear billies on, hence why there is such an arch gap!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#102 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

How many tins of P38 have you used ? Lol

#103 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

How many tins of P38 have you used ? Lol

Probably turned 53,999 tins into dust... :huh:

#104 'Buchos'

'Buchos'

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

I've been reading through this with interest, that's a LOT of work. I modified every panel on my S1 to let things hinge differently, get more air in/out, unclippable roof etc, massive amount of work and really hard to keep an original look and not add heavy fibreglass, so I appreciate the work you are doing.

I wouldn't have thought about the S1 engine cover on a VX with it being so curvy against the hard lines and would have thought it would look a bit bread van from the side when finished, but that's coming together really well.

Not fussed on the lower rear clam treatment imho and please don't get carried away making it look like a Lotus, keep as much VX styling cues in there as you can, that's why the Badster works so well.

#105 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

I want this 

pistonheads

#106 'Buchos'

'Buchos'

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:45 PM

I want this  pistonheads    

You've stumbled onto my all time 'perfect for me' car. Even flew over to Ultima and got a run in a GTR about eight years ago...... divorce stopped play though :(

#107 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

I've been reading through this with interest, that's a LOT of work. I modified every panel on my S1 to let things hinge differently, get more air in/out, unclippable roof etc, massive amount of work and really hard to keep an original look and not add heavy fibreglass, so I appreciate the work you are doing.

I wouldn't have thought about the S1 engine cover on a VX with it being so curvy against the hard lines and would have thought it would look a bit bread van from the side when finished, but that's coming together really well.

Not fussed on the lower rear clam treatment imho and please don't get carried away making it look like a Lotus, keep as much VX styling cues in there as you can, that's why the Badster works so well.

I remember looking through some of the build of your S1 and that looked fantastic!

In terms of design, this is it... No more cut outs, no more extensions just these wheel arches at the rear then boom.. done. The photos don't really quite show the wider rear particularly well, the original lines are still there, just a bit more vague as such.. But from the rear view, in person it definitely looks right (imo anyway) And the side profile in person looks bang on aswell imo, though through limited space on the drive I can't get far enough back to get a good photo  :dry: 

Its taken far to long so far, but hopefully a month / or two and it'll be back on the road!

#108 'Buchos'

'Buchos'

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Posted Image

If I was going to remodel the back, I'd look at ditching the flat and finned style diffuser and moulding a chunkier design that sits up into the section cut out of the rear bumper.

Helluva job your doing though :)

#109 chez

chez

• PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Cars, music, DJing, football, cricket, golf....... The stars

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

Love the exige style coupe..... looks really good, and with those new wheels, wow!!! This is how I'd want mine, keep it calypso red, it's the best colour!!

#110 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

So spent some time at the weekend on the exhaust backbox. It is / was a standard turbo backbox that's been cut about to result in well, whats shown. The pipes are only tacked in place at the mo, it was pretty much guess work in terms of distance to protude out, so they will be reduced a bit but overall pretty damn happy with it. Unfortunately with the turbo U-bend it gets in the way of the diffuser mount I previously had but already got a few ideas how to get around that.

I think few months down the line I'll probably get a proper backbox made but for time being and initially this should suffice..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#111 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

Need to push your pipes further out to the corners mate

#112 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

I agree, but this is about as far in the corners I can go with modifying the existing backbox, so will require a custom piece to do that really  :huh:

#113 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

So i've got it all back together...

Just waiting for the exhaust to get welded up properly and then I'll take it for an MOT and get it back on the road. The suspension needs sorting aswell as thats sitting higher than my land rover at the moment, but I think its that they haven't settled at all as the cars only been forwards and backwards on the drive so far..

Overall, fairly happy with it. Far, far better than my previous efforts although, I should admit that i'm not a bodywork expert by any means so obviously there are a few iffy areas of it. But saying that, I absolutely love the shape of it and how it looks. Plus, the photos don't do the colour justice, it looks far better in the flesh. Once its off the drive I'll get some better photos of it, but for now...

Posted Image

#114 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

I really like that :wub:

Backbox in black heatpaint, diffuser horizontally alligned, and some tasty mesh and it´s all perfect.

#115 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

Re painted?

#116 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

Re painted?

Nope, plastidipped again. Much better finish that previous effort and used some of their 'flakey' bollox which I was skeptical of, but has actually turned out very nice and given almost a satin finish as opposed to the normal matte colour that plastidip gives.  

#117 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Probably overdue a bit of an update. 

Cars been back in use for about a month now, no major problems apart from squeaky belt tensioners. Still not entirely finished, but 'it'll do' for this year at least. Need to do a small repair to the front end as it rolled down the drive and crashed into another car. Luckily the V took the most of the damage, which was a copy of the original which I'd made so not tooo fussed about that. Will get repaired eventually. Anyways.. Ride height is now at a much more sensible ride height as opposed to the 4x4 look from before!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#118 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

That is a very good result

#119 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

#120 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

Got any pics of the rear closer up? Like the look of the exhaust/diffuser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users