Sssf No Just F

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#281 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

Just been chatting with the guy who has my VXR. No damage to tyre, no damage to wheel, no damage to wishbones, no damage to mounting points, no damage to tie rod and no impact damage in the area , just a snapped thread on the joint. Is it possible to spin up in fifth at 55 mph on a straight road or has the thing just fell to bits on me :lol: Wonder what George thinks :lol:

yes it is.one factor which you may not have thought about is the age of the tyres 
Tyres looked good, but yes good thinking, not sure on age but it was only slightly damp not pissing down and no standing water, had it a lot lot faster in worse conditions, but still two VX experienced guys looked at toe link and told me that was the problem ?

#282 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

if it spun up,i doubt it was the toe link,i mean you lost it cos it spun up,i would imagine if it was the toe link you would know by the way it broke loose in relation to your throttle input

Edited by darronwall, 03 December 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#283 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

if it spun up,i doubt it was the toe link

Did it ? When the rear wheel hit the curb the car was near stopped and it was not a side on impact with no damage at the back end at all. The rear wheel was only one or two foot over the curb at an angle that should have meant it just bumped up no problem. Why oh why would it spin up at 55 on a straight road in slight damp in fifth after all the stick in worse conditions I had given the thing on full boost and balls out which as you know is going some in a stage four.The more I think about it the more I tend to agree with the two guys who have looked at the car, then again I suppose I would want that :lol:

#284 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:10 AM

You are never going to know now so get over it and just be happy your alive. It is more likely that you span the wheels up on a damp straight road than a toe link snapping on a smooth section of Tarmac in a straight line on a surface with poor grip. Surely the impact up the kerb is most likely. Reckon you know best from the way it let go.

#285 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Welcome to the SSSF club G-man

:ninja:

#286 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

Why oh why would it spin up at 55 on a straight road in slight damp in fifth

I've wondered this too.  What we do know is that the VX generates 40kg of aerodynamic rear lift.  What speed that starts to happen is unclear but it may be a factor.  I believe part of my experience was due to being on old bridgies though.  I switched to T1R's with the 16/17 wheels.

#287 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

I would think surely the load is too small in a straight line to snap a toe link? Most breaks we have seen have been cornering at approx 1g?

#288 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

You are never going to know now so get over it and just be happy your alive. It is more likely that you span the wheels up on a damp straight road than a toe link snapping on a smooth section of Tarmac in a straight line on a surface with poor grip. Surely the impact up the kerb is most likely. Reckon you know best from the way it let go.

George I am over it FFS, just reporting on the fact I have had a couple of guys tell me they are convinced the toe link was the problem after seeing the car.I have watched Marks vid over and over, my car went much quicker and more violently,Mark was accelerating in a low gear, I was cruising in 5th at 55. I know you think I am to old to drive fast and should get a Volvo instead of the VX, but I can't see that happening for a while yet :lol:

#289 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

lol gord :P

#290 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

I would think surely the load is too small in a straight line to snap a toe link? Most breaks we have seen have been cornering at approx 1g?

I would think the same, then again I have seen failures of bolts and shafts at work over the years for no apparent reason. For once I agree with George :lol:.i will never know. Unless I sent it off to a lab to be tested under a microscope or something, than they could tell if it was a fatigue type failure or impact.

#291 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

fatigue you can see in the cross-section as a sequence of marks , a clean single event break is also visible

#292 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

fatigue you can see in the cross-section as a sequence of marks , a clean single event break is also visible

I need a blown up close up picture with a good camera of the snapped end then, or would you need a microscope.

#293 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

yeah more chance under high load, but still possible if the toe link was on it's last legs.

#294 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

:rolleyes: Not really sure it makes much difference to be honest.  The outcome is the outcome.

Gordon, damp conditions are often the slipperyest (is that a word?) regardless, the link is under very little stress on a straight piece of road, so if it was that it must have been hanging by a thread ( :closedeyes: ) when you started accelerating and/or a bump may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

If it was your driving style, sh1t happens, we all make mistakes.  If it was the tie rod, sh1t happens, things fail.  Either way, it was completely rotten luck :(

#295 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Is not always driving style i think. Most of us have probably driven down a country road in the wet where small puddles form on the edge of the road and even in a FWD car with 120ftlb of torque and TC it pulls strongly in one direction if you did a wheel into the puddle and spin it.

Imagine that in a RWD mid engined car with no TC and 350ftlbs of torque. Is not easy to catch. Gord and Mbes are both much better drivers than me and they couldnt lift and countersteer in time. So I shouldnt beat yourself up about driving talent. Only way to have prevented it was prolly to have not been on the gas pedal as the one wheel went through the standing water.

#296 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Is not always driving style i think. Most of us have probably driven down a country road in the wet where small puddles form on the edge of the road and even in a FWD car with 120ftlb of torque and TC it pulls strongly in one direction if you did a wheel into the puddle and spin it.   Imagine that in a RWD mid engined car with no TC and 350ftlbs of torque. Is not easy to catch. Gord and Mbes are both much better drivers than me and they couldnt lift and countersteer in time. So I shouldnt beat yourself up about driving talent. Only way to have prevented it was prolly to have not been on the gas pedal as the one wheel went through the standing water.

I am to old to be bothered about driving talent, :lol: the best in the world can run out of it at times as we have just all seen.I will just check the dyno plot to see how much power and torque I had available at 50/55 mph in 5th gear compared to other cars, Mmmm shag all :lol: ok 55bhp 145lbs at 2k oh and no boost. It's not an NA you know :lol: No only joking I do understand what your saying,(figures are right) ...

Edited by ghand, 04 December 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#297 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

Important thing is you are alright and almost as handsome as nelly :)

Edited by jameso, 04 December 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#298 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Beauty pageant in Chester on Saturday :lol:

#299 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Important thing is you are alright and almost as handsome as nelly :)

:lol: old ratchet face Nelly. He's been frightening kids all week :lol:

#300 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

This was taken when mine snapped

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic