• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

As far as I can see on my 2 sets, the set without helpers were 7" springs and with helpers they put a shorter main spring on or it will foul as you have found. Still amazes me how different nitron dampers for same aplication can be, look at the diff between my randy spec rears and yours....

#22 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

As far as JJJ's solution goes, yes it may work but I would not be happy, everyone else seems to have springs this way round so why should I have swap things around after spending all that cash. Just to make something fit that has clearly not been checked. If it was checked and found that the helper had to be below the main then they should assemble it so or include some form of guide.

#23 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

As far as I can see on my 2 sets, the set without helpers were 7" springs and with helpers they put a shorter main spring on or it will foul as you have found. Still amazes me how different nitron dampers for same aplication can be, look at the diff between my randy spec rears and yours....

I would say the new springs and helper together are the same length as the old spring. Your picture with the red springs do seem to have very long bodies to them.

Maybe it is as Jimmy says - the helper springs are too wide a diameter.

On your picture of yours on your car, the top of your helper springs do appear lower down than mine is so is less likely to foul the body.

#24 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Yes and I was going to add helpers to my old ones but was told I would need new main springs to make the correct length, one of the reasons I got the 46's.

#25 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Just checked my front dampers too and yes the 46's with helpers have a 1" shorter spring than the NTR's with no helper.

The 46's have 5" plus helper on front and 6" plus helper on rear if that helps.

#26 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

I had similar problems when I fitted Crabash old NTR's with some helpers. It's a combination of a spring/helper combo higher up the subframe and the increased wishbone angle that comes with the new droop.

Solved mine "a la Scuffers" with a hammer and a piece of wood; reshaped the subframe slighly where it fouled the spring on the front.  :D And I think I modded the top alloy bolt sleeves so I could move the shock a little more rearwards. (shorten top rearward sleeve and fit an extra washer to the front sleeve)

The joy of modding a VX....

#27 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Glad you got mine working ok lol, they much better with the helpers then?

#28 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Mmmm wonder if I'm going to have this problem too? I had the Nitron mod but I got told afterwards that i now need some helper springs.....

#29 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Too much things going on for a good comparison, but the ride is fine now. Next year we will do some serious testing on 2 vx's with those and also some 46's that came along...  :happy:

#30 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

Does sending in for refurb with larger eyelids automatically include these helper springs?

#31 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Seems not from Aimy's post.

#32 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

I've had mine done but not fitted them yet as I was waiting for some lock rings (yeah, I'm paranoid).  Need to order some helpers too.  Keep us posted as to how you get on please.

#33 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Feed the issue back and see what they advise. It is their problem if you're my happy with the product and they'll help for sure. I wish I had time to help more but I'm über busy and rarely on the forum these days

#34 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Pre refurb and post pictures if any use:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking at these pics its a longer bottom eye.  This means the spring platform is moved up the body by the same amount (plus any thickness of the helper / platform assembly).  Moving it up takes the platform closer to the subframe. 

Might be the fix needs to be longer tubes rather than longer eyes?  Aimy, you'll need to check yours if your on longer eyes.  It might be that the helper length just pushes it over the tolerance threshold.

#35 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Yeah il check them (although I still need to order som helpers) I'm loosing patience with the whole suspension milarky tbh :(

#36 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Did they replace the nitron stickers for you?

I need 4 new stickers for mine. I've mailed nitron a few times but they never respond...

#37 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yeah il check them (although I still need to order som helpers) I'm loosing patience with the whole suspension milarky tbh :(

If the helpers are causing the problem with a longer eye then it may not be the answer for you.  Chin up, it'll come good.

Did they replace the nitron stickers for you?

I need 4 new stickers for mine. I've mailed nitron a few times but they never respond...

Oh yes, when you send them for refurb they come back with new stickers and look like new shocks.  They do an awesome job!

#38 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

tried to scale it as good s possible.

Posted Image

#39 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'd sure as hell not be putting the helper springs on the other end.... angled loads etc not nice blah blah

#40 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

How come my tubes are so much longer on both the NTR and the 46's.

Only way I can see to fix that is maybe a different helper thats not as wide and/or a shorter main spring,  but even then that would move your adjuster ring right down to the bottom of the damper tube. Would there be enough compression in the spring to achieve full travel?

Is it a good idea to run with the helper seat not around the damper body?

Have you tried winding the adjuster down untill the helper is part compressed, then see if it goes on, if it does where does that leave you on ride height?

Saying all this but really it's nitrons prob as JJJ said, if I were not happy sure I would gather info and look into it but in the end I would be getting on to Nitron.

Edited by Crabash, 03 December 2013 - 02:09 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nitron, ntr40, refurb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users