#1 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Project Once

Why Once?

Well this is without doubt the biggest project I’ve ever undertaken to date, and though I have modified existing cars before I’ve never done so much in one hit. I’m confident this will at points almost feel like I’m starting again and building a VX in kit form, and there’s even less doubt that this will be an expensive exercise that will not earn me my money back if I ever come to sell.

For that reason I can’t afford, nor bear, to get it wrong and have to do it more than, well… once. Plus you only live once right? (And calling it project neck-snapping acceleration would have been in bad taste)

So what is project Once? There’s no doubt it’s always evolving but the basics I set out with were;

A supercharged VX with 250+bhp

Supporting chassis mods

Re-finished interior

Coupe conversion

Re-spray, most likely in a non-VX colour

All these thoughts popped into my head last summer, and the idea was cemented even further during a damp trackday in my VXT at Rockingham.

Posted Image

I’d always been circumspect of the T’s power delivery, and had changed solenoids, intake pipes and even remaps to try and sort it out. I thought I was maybe just being spoiled with the modern OEM stuff, but even my 20 year old Saab turbo offered a more progressive and sweeter build of power.

It was pretty much the last straw though, and after a brief drive of Fezzasus’ SC I knew that if I was staying VX then I needed some whine in my life.

I’ll admit that other marques did pop into my head, and I even upped the budget considerably – but there was nothing for less than £20k that really grabbed my attention.

So the T had to be sold and an NA bought. Of course it was the worst time to sell, but potentially the best time to buy – I’d just end up with both at the same time, and wait til spring to sell the Tubby.

And then a couple of already charged cars appeared, either in the classifieds or by way of PM, and while funds were actually short of the required, the possibility of getting a charged car with some desirable extras for only £2k more than a basic NA was too much to ignore.

After much selling of car parts (Saab and VX related) I’d managed to raise enough to cover the cost of buying an SC while keeping the T until Spring ready to sell when values pushed a little higher. Then the Turbo sold anyway.

Logistically it couldn’t have been easier; my buyer lived less than 30 miles away from my seller, and the plan was to drive the T to its new owner before getting a lift to pick up the SC and drive home.

Then I went and broke my neck the week I was due to complete the exchange.

Phoning JJJ, ChrisSC (whose orange SC I was buying) and my buyer from my hospital bed, still strapped to the spinal board, solved the problem. JJJ delivered my new car and took my old one back to Wales for Paul my buyer to collect.

Posted Image

Big thanks Chris who let JJJ pick up the car without the cash clearing in his account, and Paul for transferring cash before he’d even seen the car. Basically being trusting enough to do everything they tell you not to do when buying or selling a car.

So now I had a car, some money in the bank, and lots of spare time on my hands. Cue a sh*t load of attempted group buys and eBay purchases…

Chris’ car already came with a set of Nitrons, Compomotives with Toyo R1R tyres, Splam grille, Fezz heater, Lotus ABS controller, Carbon ears, carbon binnacle, private plate, refurbed rack, ali radiator (not fitted) plus the supercharger bits. Basically it was either full of stuff that would prove useful for my car, or desirable things to sell on.

It was also CAT clear, the engine’s chains had been done and was relatively sensible mileage (circa 50k).

However it was still running on the base map, there was no chargecooler – just a motorbike rad in the ear – and there was a reason it had been wrapped. The Rabiatta red paint was, and is I guess (I’ve not yet uncovered it from the wrap) a bit fcuked.

Not a perfect VX by any shake of the stick, but probably ideal for my plans, which had now developed further…

By this time I knew I couldn’t resist the lure of the Saab B207 engine, partly as it was such a good deal and sensible move, plus I got a perverse sense of pleasure from the idea of mixing my first love of Saab with my new love of VX. Reason enough to keep it a 2.0-litre too.

I decided that a sensible figure would be a solid 280bhp, which everyone seemed to suggest would be easily possible from the B207.

#2 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

With nothing else better to do with my time, I decided to stay up for literally the 24hrs required for the ZZP Black Friday sale and bought the

stage 2 SC comp cams

Posted Image

Supertech valve springs

Posted Image

and Phenolic spacer kit

Posted Image

I had the Saab B207 engine delivered to Matt Bentley Racing, as since I was in no fit state to move engines around I decided that it would make sense for Matt to build the engine for me.

Next problem was getting the car moved, still with this broken neck there was no way I could drive it. Naomi could, but then there was no easy way for her to get back, and I wasn’t sure about her first time driving a VX being without me, but there was no way my neck could stand the suspension at this point.

Anyway, thanks to LeeVX2.2 who picked the car up one Saturday and delivered it to Matt’s the Monday after. He’s been liberating parts without my say so ever since. ;)

Car and engine at Matts, my eBay bidding and forum classifieds minesweeping was coming together. Over the next few months I sold my Lotus ABS ECU to a forum member, and things gradually started to arrive at chez Lambert.

The last Coupe conversion panels made turned up, unfortunately with a little shipping damage

Posted Image

As did a set of ATS DTC wheels

Posted Image

Schroth 5-point harnesses (sold for a set of new 4-points in the end)

Posted Image

Composite Worx CF seat

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

JB harness bar

JB sill plates

Robin louvres

Posted Image

#3 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Tullet 4-1 manifold

Posted Image

6 rib crank pulley and alternator underdrive

Posted Image

EP Ertacetal wishbone bushes

Posted Image

EP balljoints

Posted Image

Sparco suede steering wheel with EP quick release

Posted Image

Posted Image

Poly front and rear engine mounts

Posted Image

Regelin wheel housing extenders

Turbo mats and turbo footrest

Lightweight header tank bracket

Posted Image

Which resulted in the 'Airfix' picture

Posted Image

Along with that, delivered straight to Matt Bentley is a set of

Quantum single ways

EP 1inch ARB

Full EP bumpsteer reducing kit

And I’ve still to pick up/receive the

TAT short round diffuser (thanks to JG and Ian by the looks of it)

Pro Alloy 60L fuel tank

New private plate; S2OVX (so Saab 2.0-litre VX, or Supecharged 2.0-litre VX – or just plain S2OVX for those that don’t like prvt plates)

Pro Alloy chargecooler

Pro Alloy gearbox breather

Even typing this I know I’ve missed off some stuff.

Anyway, as it stands the ‘intended’ spec is

ENGINE/BOX

Saab B207 with M62 charger

Comp Cams Stg2 SC

Supertech valve springs

Phenolic spacer

Standalone ECU

Pro Alloy Chargecooler

Tullet 4-1 manifold with (?) 2.5inch exhaust of some description

Pro Alloy gearbox breather

Standard 5-speed gearbox (No LSD)

Poly front and rear engine mounts

6 rib crank pulley and alternator drive

Pro Alloy 60L fuel tank

BODYWORK

Coupe conversion with roofscoop to feed air to engine bay for cooling (along with extra NACA ducts in undertray)

Turbo spoiler

Turbo ears

Turbo splitters

APR Carbon racing mirrors (from old car)

Re-spray – either stick with Rabiatta red or something completely different (number of possibilities incl Lotus Aubergine, VXT Petrol, Saab Java, Infiniti Malbec)

CHASSIS/BRAKES

ATS DTC Wheels – tyres undecided

Blasted and coated wishbones

Ertacetal wishbone bushes

New balljoints

EP bumpsteer kit

Qauntum single ways

EP 1inch ARB

Lotus ABS ECU

Standard discs and calipers, with uprated pads (potential to move to EP four pots in future)

Set up by Matt Bentley

INTERIOR

Composite Worx Carbon seats (or Lotus Probax- as yet undecided)

Schroth Harnesses, and standard belts

Flocked hard top inner

JB harness bar

JB sill plates

DTT trimmed dash and other parts

Quick release Sparco steering wheel

Fezz heater

I think that probably sums it up. The whole car will basically come apart, including splitting the subframe for any treatment needed for corrosion, and there will be lots of little bits to do to make it ‘nice’.

Hopefully this collar comes off on Tuesday (two weeks late due to the NHS cancelling my last appointment) and I’ll be back behind the wheel of a car (and my desk at work – never thought I’d miss it so much).

At this point I’ll likely be spending much of my weekends down at Matt Bentleys starting to do some work on the car. Matt will be doing a lot of it, with me providing some of the ‘Donkey-work labour’. I’ll also be tackling the time consuming stuff that would cost a bomb in labour that is doable even by someone like me.

I don’t profess to be a mechanical genius, but I have serviced my cars previously, and fixed the odd thing on the VXT and my previous Saabs. The VX is meant to be like Meccano, and I’m willing to listen and learn – as long as Matt is willing to point me in the right direction. Think of me as an overgrown and over-old apprentice and you might have it…

That’s it, hopefully the next update won’t just be about my latest eBay win but some actual real work…

Edited by Graeme Lambert, 24 January 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#4 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

Saab Colour thumbsup Ties in with the Engine then.

#5 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Fab stuff. You should write for a living mate.

#6 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Forgot to say, as a few people have mentioned (not that it really matters I guess) that yes, there is a personal injury claim going in for the car accident that broke my neck, but apart from paying for any extra labour that I would have tackled myself but now can't do, it won't be used for this project. Financially it's all possible due to a proportion of savings and sale of my car - and bits from the donor.

Would have been easy see the PI money, whatever figure that might end up being, as a passport to this project getting lofty expectations, but I've promised myself and Naomi that it'll be invested wisely - whether that is in a house deposit for buy to let, adding equity to our current house or in private investments is yet to be seen.

So for the most part, the budget for this build is what I'd call sensible - depending on what happens with the paint it has a chance to come in under £20k thanks to lots of second hand parts as pictured above.

But then mission creep could fcuk that right up :D

#7 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Brilliant project. Looks good and I bet it's worth the wait.

#8 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Looking forward to following the build.

Definitely get hands on as much as you can, it always comes in useful with these cars :)

#9 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

Bit half arsed if you ask me.

Kidding of course. Will follow this with great interest. Epic.

#10 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

No to aubergine! At least not until I've finished mine. Can't wait to see it all together.

#11 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I take it the tullet manifold is the 2.5 version and the reason your heading that way with the rest of the system? Your project is the way I will prob go with mine but as my budget is alot slower Do you have a time scale in mind?

#12 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

It was pleasure spending all night with you GL Waiting for the ZZP Black Friday sale for our cams, Good look with your project.

#13 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Saab Colour thumbsup Ties in with the Engine then.

See where you're coming from, but I'm just not sure about a brown VX...

And much of the paint decision could come down to money, leaving it Rabiatta but sorting its issues (respray rather than colour change) will be a hell of a lot cheaper...

Fab stuff. You should write for a living mate.

Not bad for someone who hasn't done it for a few months eh? ;)

Brilliant project. Looks good and I bet it's worth the wait.

Thanks mate, maybe we'll have to arrange a Peterborough (area) meet when its done as I work up that way

Looking forward to following the build.

Definitely get hands on as much as you can, it always comes in useful with these cars :)

Agreed, I want to do as much as I phyiscally (neck) and mentally (ability) can on this one, partly to keep costs down and partly just because I want to...

Bit half arsed if you ask me.

Kidding of course. Will follow this with great interest. Epic.

I know, you'd have thought I'd have tried a bit harder what with all that time off and all

No to aubergine! At least not until I've finished mine. Can't wait to see it all together.

Had a feeling you might say that. You've got until at least April...

I take it the tullet manifold is the 2.5 version and the reason your heading that way with the rest of the system? Your project is the way I will prob go with mine but as my budget is alot slower Do you have a time scale in mind?

It is the 2.5, was bought off Joe (though I paid Vocky and picked up at his place :/ ). That's certainly part of the reason for going 2.5inch for the rest of the system, the others being I don't believe I'd need 3inch for 280bhp and hopefully to also help a little with the noise. We'll see if that's right or not given time.

As for timescales, well how does a handful or two of 'Duncans' sound? Honestly not sure, I'd hoped to have started as soon as I got the car, I'm now effectively 11 weeks behind and won't be able to do as much as I would have previously straight out of the box (or collar). Other people are confident it'll be done pretty quickly but I'm aware that things rarely play out like this. Ask me again once things start happening...

G

#14 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

It was pleasure spending all night with you GL Waiting for the ZZP Black Friday sale for our cams, Good look with your project.

Thanks mate,

Was a tough night that one, think I was getting a little delerious towards the end waiting for the valve springs to come up. And as for when I refreshed the page then mistakenly ordered the stage one cams :ffs:

#15 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Lots of great goodies there mate I will give you a hand where I can and am needed ;-) that's the least I can do lol

#16 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Good luck with that Graeme thumbsup

Though I suspect 'once' might become a new dot org euphemism :P

#17 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Looks like a cracking project. Love the seats. Will the 2.0 be able to rev higher with the shorter stroke crank?

#18 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Good luck with that Graeme thumbsup

Though I suspect 'once' might become a new dot org euphemism :P

Like a Duncan?

#19 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Good luck Graham

#20 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Amazing to think how much car you'll end up with for a 20k budget. Looking forward to the updates.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: saab, b207, supercharged, m62, ats dtc, composite worx, re-spray, coupe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users