• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

So, with my Coupe back conversion planned one thing I'm aware of is that you lose rearward visibility (just like the Exige) and that's never been something I've been that keen on - even before someone drove into the back of me (I understand that even when seeing out the back you can't alway avoid an accident, as I proved).

With that in mind I reckon I have two choices; one a periscope style rear view mirror in the cabin just like the Isdera Impersonator

Posted Image

:D :D :D ;)

Or I could be far more sensible (And aerodynamic) and install a rear view camera system. Idea would be camera lense somewhere on the rear (As discrete as possibe, was thinking hidden within numberplate maybe but worried about head from the exhaust) and a monitor/screen small enough to be mounted in place of the standard rear view mirror. It would have to be permanently on, rather than just when reversing like a reverse camera, and mirror the image for it to work.

Question is, has anyone done this before, or do they have any experience of it etc? I know you can get kits for motorhomes etc without rear windows so I know it's possible, and not that expensive, but any tips or foresight woulkd be welcomed.

G

#2 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

Just for fun ;)

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Don't mount the camera at the back of the car. Whether or not exhaust heat will do it any good, the sh*t that car sucks up from the road due to the low pressure will soon obscure the lens. High up where the brakelight would go and airflow will dry/clear it is the only way, if you insist on one. Still think it's pointless though. It won't show anything you can't see in the door mirrors and will be a mass of white light come night time with a car behind you.

#4 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

no harm in it, AML use them all the time, but only in reverse.

#5 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Don't mount the camera at the back of the car. Whether or not exhaust heat will do it any good, the sh*t that car sucks up from the road due to the low pressure will soon obscure the lens. High up where the brakelight would go and airflow will dry/clear it is the only way, if you insist on one. Still think it's pointless though. It won't show anything you can't see in the door mirrors and will be a mass of white light come night time with a car behind you.

Think night vision sorts the blinding white light thing - and I guess I could always turn the screen off if it was that much of a problem.

Remember I'm being difficult and sticking with my APR racing mirrors, which possibly don't show as much as the OEM set up.

G

#6 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

worth noting though, you only need two rear mirrors and one HAS to be the drivers wing/door...I ran just wing mirrors for years through many MOT's and enjoyed the better view out the windscreen.

#7 badgerade

badgerade

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Someone at one of the Bruntingthorpe days had a rear view camera.  PaulusH maybe :-s

#8 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Ah yes, have used the Aston ones before - can you nick me one please ;)

worth noting though, you only need two rear mirrors and one HAS to be the drivers wing/door...I ran just wing mirrors for years through many MOT's and enjoyed the better view out the windscreen.

Yup, I know and if I can't find a solution that balances my budget and desire for pleasing aesthetics both inside and out that's what I'll do.

G

#9 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Someone at one of the Bruntingthorpe days had a rear view camera.  PaulusH maybe :-s

Did he just have it for reversing?

Hopefully he'll see this thread, otherwise I'll be PM'ing him.

G

#10 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

Ah yes, have used the Aston ones before - can you nick me one please ;)

No as I now p*ss about with trains :lol:

#11 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Trains? Where's my ignore list...

#12 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

youre already on mine :P

#13 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

youre already on mine :P

Did someone say something? :P

#14 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Lexus IS camera could be used/bought for peanuts... The one on my old mans Lexus is very good.

I recall looking at rear view mirror screens a while back... think there were some pretty good ones for about £100.

Either that, or consider a wireless camera that will connect to an iPod Touch and mount that on the screen / wherever. 

#15 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

If you got a reverse camera kit and short the connection that would normally go to the reverse switch that would mean it runs permanently. But, not sure you'd really want of those as the lenses tend to be a bit too fisheye like, which would be far from ideal as a replacement for a rear view mirror and might give some depth perception problems. You'd probably be better off with a bullet camera with a max of 120° FOV. Buy a lens protector for something like a Countour HD or similar. Fit that flush (somewhere high up) on your coupe cover. Then behind that mount your camera and adjust for the FOV you need. If the cover gets scratched/bollocksed for any reason, it can be replaced. Likewise, if when you decide to upgrade the camera, it should be a simple case of mounting it behind the existing lens protector.

#16 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Fit a periscope in the roof, much better.

#17 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

If you got a reverse camera kit and short the connection that would normally go to the reverse switch that would mean it runs permanently. But, not sure you'd really want of those as the lenses tend to be a bit too fisheye like, which would be far from ideal as a replacement for a rear view mirror and might give some depth perception problems. You'd probably be better off with a bullet camera with a max of 120° FOV. Buy a lens protector for something like a Countour HD or similar. Fit that flush (somewhere high up) on your coupe cover. Then behind that mount your camera and adjust for the FOV you need. If the cover gets scratched/bollocksed for any reason, it can be replaced. Likewise, if when you decide to upgrade the camera, it should be a simple case of mounting it behind the existing lens protector.

hactually thats a good point, fish eye is 'fine' for low speed reversing but for looking back as a rear view mirrors type thing its pretty pants.

I'd not go wireless either.

#18 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Yes I have rear view camera. It is mega useful. It is on all the time.

Mine is almost a replacement for rear view mirror. It works really well even at night as long as there are street lights. On dark roads it is rubbish, just shows either deep blue background or dazzling lights. 

I bought it mainly for reversing but also use it as an extra check before moving from a slip road to the main carriageway of a bypass or motorway.

Although mine is fitted in the recess where the rear number plate is found, most of the time it stays clear enough to use even in the rain. The caveat is that very occasionally the mix of driving results in it getting too dirty to use.

Kind regards, Paul

#19 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Good call Mr G I am after the same I thought it would be ok with no rear mirror but I do miss it , so get looking and buy two ;-)

#20 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Cheaper option idea.... :P

Posted Image

Ebay is normally a good place to give ideas

http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40

Edited by mbes2, 07 February 2014 - 06:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users