Camera Instead Of Rear View Mirror

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I had a similar set up in my transporter, replaced the rear view (solid doors anyway !) with a screen and a camera. They were about £15 each off ebay and were still going strong after 18 months. Just had to give the lens a wipe every now and again :-) I echo all of the reasons on here, safety, overtaking and also parking

#42 adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I had a similar set up in my transporter, replaced the rear view (solid doors anyway !) with a screen and a camera. They were about £15 each off ebay and were still going strong after 18 months. Just had to give the lens a wipe every now and again :-) I echo all of the reasons on here, safety, overtaking and also parking

Oh also I had it on all the time, worked ace as a rear view while driving.... Simply a case of a constant 12v rather than hooking it into the reversing light feed. I'm just doing one in my shogun and that's hooked into a cheap rip speed single din stereo with a motorized screen which tucks away when the power is off :-) Before I sold the transporter I had planned to fit a camera under each wing mirror and one in the front bumper, all hooked into a CCTV recorded.... That was after some tool shafted me on an insurance claim. Each camera was also going to be selectable from a switch

#43 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Sounds good. Any more details on the actual kit used?

G

#44 adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Yep, on hols at the mo but will dig out the details when I'm home :)

#45 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Yep, on hols at the mo but will dig out the details when I'm home :)

Cool, thanks.

(sent to you from Barcelona Airport departure lounge - hope you're somewhere nice lol)

G

#46 adamdavi3s

adamdavi3s

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Haha! I'm tucked up on the Cornish Coast :-)

#47 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Much appreciated Adam thumbsup

#48 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Most OEM looking non-OEM monitor in a rear view mirror, that I've seen. Even supports two cameras and at least one of the mounts looks like it will fit with the VX's screen mount. http://www.ebay.com/...t-/261393375462

#49 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

Don't mount the camera at the back of the car. Whether or not exhaust heat will do it any good, the sh*t that car sucks up from the road due to the low pressure will soon obscure the lens. High up where the brakelight would go and airflow will dry/clear it is the only way, if you insist on one. Still think it's pointless though. It won't show anything you can't see in the door mirrors and will be a mass of white light come night time with a car behind you.

I agree with techie on the mounting my Outlander has a rear view camera mounted just above the number plate (bear in mind this is a lot higher than the vx) and after about 50 miles or so (a lot less if its wet) you'll not be able to see anything out of it. Placing camera higher would probably solve the problem or atleast allow a longer period before it gets dirty especially if you decide to use it on a track.

Just thinking out loud really :D

Al

#50 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Most OEM looking non-OEM monitor in a rear view mirror, that I've seen. Even supports two cameras and at least one of the mounts looks like it will fit with the VX's screen mount. http://www.ebay.com/...t-/261393375462

It's fcuking massive though isn't it? Nearly 30cm wide. Everyone spends money trying smaller mirrors so I'm not about to go the other way. I reckon a screen not much bigger than an iPhone would be ideal? Apart from potential security issues, when it's not parked in my garage (rare) I don't need an actual mirror though (it'd be no use at all) so could just use a smaller monitor mounted on a bracket somehow. Ideally would be able to unplug and remove/hide though.

#51 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

Errr, yes, it is rather large. Just picked it as you could leave that without anybody being any wiser or having some monstrosity sticking out of the dash and less likely to raise any legality issues from the powers that be. Smartphone with wireless streamed video to it would be perfect. Probably get away with it as well from the shitty $1 low res cameras all these devices use.

#52 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Errr, yes, it is rather large. Just picked it as you could leave that without anybody being any wiser or having some monstrosity sticking out of the dash and less likely to raise any legality issues from the powers that be. Smartphone with wireless streamed video to it would be perfect. Probably get away with it as well from the shitty $1 low res cameras all these devices use.

My initial thought... done correctly it could also be used to store music files which could be streamed wirelessly to a compatible head unit.

#53 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Agree that a mirror would look more OEM than a monitor. I may try and 'embed' a screen in a mirror surround (if I can find both a screen and mirror unit small enough) to aid with security etc.

There's a monitor used in this Lister Bell Strtaos vid I'm sure

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Xvs5jRi4h80

G

#54 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Boom!

http://www.listerbel...w-camera-option

#55 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

There's about a billion similar kits on flidBay from £20. Bet that costs more.

#56 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

There's about a billion similar kits on flidBay from £20. Bet that costs more.

Agreed, but shows that it can be done easily - and I'm assumign they mirror the image with their kit.

G

#57 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

This monitor here seems to be a better size?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...atchlink:top:en

Need to find out if it does/can mirror the image though. Reckon it has to be worth a punt at £40 even as a prototype!

G

#58 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Daft question alert...why the emphasis on a mirror image?

#59 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

Daft question alert...why the emphasis on a mirror image?

Because what is to the right of the camera (and left of the rear of the car) will be on the right of the monitor otherwise (unless I'm being daft here)

G

#60 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

It's a conundrum. Haha I take it as the camera is facing backwards, so it is as if you are looking over your left shoulder. So that is displayed on the screen real time, so even writing should be the right way round. Maybe. Kinda. Yeah, massive brain fart going on at the moment :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users