supercharged

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Moschops

Moschops

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

It might sound like a daft question, however I'm hoping that either one of the previous owners or someone with a similar spec will be able to answer my question.

The spec:

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Eaton supercharger with stage 2 pulley[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Eaton inlet manifold (with duel pass modification)[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Piper cross cosworth air filter[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Tullet 2.5" manifold and 200cell cat with a Milltek turbo back box.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Car previously owned by Noplex and ArcticMonkey[/color]

I know it's quite loud, but I want to book some trackdays so I want to make sure I'm under the sound limits. I love Donington but most of the TD's there are 98dB.

I'm guessing that the whine from the supercharger adds few dB on top of the already loud exhaust.

So, anyone know how loud it is likely to be??

Note, there are no prizes for a correct answer, other than kudos.

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Artic monkey tracked it at Snetterton so probably knows.

#3 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

If you take the car to a local track you might be able to get it checked, Failing that you can download a app on iPhones which is quite accurate ie With in a couple of db

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 06 May 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#4 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

I can't hear it from here, but this thread should give you an idea :

http://www.vx220.org...exhaust-system/

#5 Moschops

Moschops

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the link. I should have added - static sound level I can measure with kit at work, it's the driveby sound that's likely to get me black flagged because of the induction noise.

#6 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Fiting an original airbox and bin the pipercross should help with induction noise. It will not go back in the original location but with some fabricated brackets it will fit.

#7 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Mine is a very similar setup and has passed Donington without issues 3 times.  Have you emailed and asked Stu as he might be able to give you a better idea though.

#8 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

very similar spec to mine.

88db at last measure ;blink:

More like 93db though.

This is static and 5k rpm 

#9 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Static test is more important IMO since this gets you onto the track. The drive by can usually be managed. Mine with similar spec was 98dba static at 5000rpm & have never had any problems with drive by limits. Tullet box can be made quieter by re-packing with latest spec material

#10 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Static test is more important IMO since this gets you onto the track. The drive by can usually be managed.

I think it's the exact opposite. Unless your exhaust is totally screwed and offensively loud, you'll struggle not to pass any static test. It's drive-by limits that are the problem (when the charger is actually doing something and not being bypassed), especially with zero tolerance tracks. I could drive to Bedford now, breeze through the drive-by tests with 8-10dB of breathing room then get out on track and be going home after the first lap, having tripped any (or all) of the four noise sensors once the charger has come into play.

#11 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

I think I see your point Matt, although your second para contradicts your first 😃😃 but Bedford always seems to be out of the ordinary (which is why I never contemplate going there). I've been close to the knuckle a couple of times on static tests, especially now they seem to want to take readings at 5000-5500rpm, but never had any problems with drive by

#12 Moschops

Moschops

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

I messaged ArcticMonkey, apparently the car has previously measured 95 then 98dB static at Snetterton

I then asked the nice folks at Bookatrack about measuring it, and they are letting me on track to test it. I'd already booked an evening session on May 30th before I bought my VX, using one of the Caterham R300's the have for hire. I asked if I could forfeit some time in their car to have a go in mine and to my surprise they said yes! I'll let you know the results.

#13 Moschops

Moschops

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Quick update, I managed a couple of fast laps last night with no black flag. My VX was noticeably quieter than some of the other tots out on circuit, so I'm confident I'll be ok for the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users