Project Unknown

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#81 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Looks great Al you are a brave man with that dremmel! 

#82 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Keep going :)

#83 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Looking really good there Al!

I hate to say but it still is a very long tunnel, however with your setup and current speed significantly quicker than my experience. Make sure that prep work is 100% spot on, I'm not sure if I had a problem here or if it's something else but I have some small issues with ripples but the clear is glass smooth.

Excited to see the paint start to go down, that's when you get a real feel for how it's going to look in the end.

#84 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

It's getting there slowly. I've just started going over all the areas I've repaired with filler primer and flatting it back with 320 grit. Louvres are smooth as fcuk. I've just installed two more strip lights in the garage, about waist height either side to get more light to make sure I get it looking right. I had originally planned to have all the prep work done by the weekend gone but I underestimated how much work goes into fitting a set of louvres!!!! I've taken done time off in September to get a good start on the paint so between now and then I will be getting the primer on and flatted back and prepping the booth. I'll be taking loads of photos as the paint goes on (hopefully it will all go well) the in laws will be down for the same week as my father in law wants to be here to see the first colour going on.

#85 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hows the new parrot, be sure not to let him escape into the garage to drop his little contribution on to your hard work ! LOL

#86 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Long story but basically hd to take him to the vet and was advised that we should take him back so ended up swapping him for a cockatoo. Shame really but the grey was not happy at all got to a point where he didnt even move and if i went near his cage he went mental. the one weve got now loves getting her head scratched and coming out. Plus she hasnt had her wings clipped so quite happily flys around the room. Definetly not aloud in the garage! Dogs arent aloud near it anymore. Poor Loki he loves coming and giving me a hand, would probably just try and lick the paint off though :lol:

#87 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Bad doggy ! LOL

#88 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

So prep work is pretty much finished and the paint is on its way, Should be here by mid next week. I'm going to keep the colour quiet just now as it may prove difficult to spray and i change my mind. :lol:.

On another note i've been thinking recently about getting rid of my TMS manifold and getting something like a 2bular full system or a tullet. What is everybodies opinion on this? I'm don't really know a lot about exhausts so i dont know if the TMS is fine and i should just swap out the VSE for something a little quieter so i can get her on track whens shes finished...

Ive also got my eye on a NA air box which will hopefully quieten the SC induction noise down a fraction. Will it completely remove the noise or will it still be audible? I quite like having the whine as it does sound quite cool...

Cheers

Al

edit: I should also mention that i already have a standard turbo back box but dont want to refit that as it sounds crap.

Edited by mopeytitan, 22 August 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#89 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Tullet made the TMS manifold. :D

#90 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Ive also got my eye on a NA air box which will hopefully quieten the SC induction noise down a fraction.

I think it quietens it down a lot from what I've read.

#91 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

So another weekend spent prepping the body work and i've finally got it to a stage that i'm happy with. Just got to get everything masked up now.

I've spent pretty much all day washing down all all the parts and cleared out the spray booth and wet washed the roof, walls and floor and re-sealed all the gaps ready for painting. Paint should hopefully be getting here tomorrow/ wed.

I've also bought a NA air box which has already been modded which i am going to fit to quiet down the intake noise a bit and provisionally sold my VSE so on the hunt for a new back box. Dont really want a Miltek as i dont want it to be too quiet just want it to be quiet enough to get on to some tracks to have some fun.

I'll make sure i get plenty of photos as the paint goes on, well primer your not gettting to see the colour until its finished. :lol:

One thing ive been thinking is weather to do the windscreen surround colour, satin black or gloss black... What is everyones thoughts on this?

#92 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

One thing ive been thinking is weather to do the windscreen surround colour, satin black or gloss black... What is everyones thoughts on this?

Whatever else you do, don't do it body colour. :sick:

#93 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Right oh, won't do it body colour. I did think it might look crap so might just give it some more satin as that's what's in it now.

#94 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Miltek might be OK when you have the charger blowing down it

#95 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Are they repackable?

#96 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Milltek are not repackable  :sleep:

If you want a nice sound, but still a quieter exhaust for track days then fit a vxT Milltek backbox

#97 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Had a day off today... Was hoping paint would have arrived by now so i could make a start on it but it didnt. :angry2:

What did arrive though is the N/A airbox i bought. It had already been modded for a slightly better induction sound. Hopefully this won't make it just as loud as the stupid cone filter i had on. Quick explanation as to why i originally decided to get rid of the cone filter:

1. A lot of chat on here about them not being very good.

2. Because of point 1 i took it off and run my finger around the inside of the charger and it was filthy!! Will be taking it off to clean it and generally give everything a good check over.

So first thing was to figure out how to mount it... Had a little search on here and found a thread which showed pictures of a conversion done by Exmantaa and tried to replicate the positioning that they had.

Came up with this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just need an intake pipe now to finish it off

In order to be able to mount it there i had to move the ECU to where it is located now. And figured that where it was going to be positioned it might be at risk of rain dripping onto it... (not sure if that would matter but decided to make this)

Posted Image

From above it covers the mojaority of it and 'should' keep most of the rain water (if any) off it.

Hopefully the paint will get here tomorrow!! I'm getting impatient now!!

Edited by mopeytitan, 28 August 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#98 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

two little deliveries today:

Paint mixing pots x100 which i got for about £6 and...

Posted Image

My paint!!

Panting shall start tomorrow. should be good fun! Ive turned the two larger tins around as they have the colour written on them. :lol:

#99 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

So... Update time i think.

I'll start with a breif talk through of what i have done as i have done IMO quite a lot in the last week or so. 

First of i cracked open my grey high build primer and gave everything two coats to act as a sacrificial layer to flat back and remove any scratches etc from the repairs that i've done. I then flatted it back with 400 grit and coated it all again with a white primer as the colour i have chosen requires a white base to get the right colour.

Unfortunetly i didnt take any pictures of the grey being finished so you'll all have to deal with just seeing the white :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And that was basically the last week and a half which took me up to yesterday. I had decided i would sort out the sills on the car as these were (im my mind) the hardest parts to paint as getting underneath and getting a good even coverage was quite tricky especially as this was my first proper attempt at spraying a car. Now the part that actually matters.....

The pics of the finished sills.

Posted Image

Posted Image

10 points goes to the person that can correctly identify the exact colour. It looks absolutely stunning in the sun and the golden/ copper pearl look amazing.

Just to make it slightly easier as the pics don't do it justice it is a 3 stage pearl.

I will be doing the clams and other bits in colour over the next few days, just thought some might find it interesting to see what colour i have gone for and more importantly how well i've painted it :lol:

Al

#100 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

Well thank fcuk you've not done it purplelime greenwhite etc! :D thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users