Time Attack..

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#81 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Scuffers, do you have the Pro Classes qualifying and final time sheets?

#82 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

What do you reckon you could do it in now Mike?

1:32 if lucky... If I got my serious head on, I can break into the 1:29, possibly a high 1:28 now I have learned the circuit better.

#83 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Blimey! Looks like somebody has a bit of a chip on their shoulder!

no chip.. litterally NO chip... 

i was just taking the p*ss 

#84 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

There seems to be a lot of big talk on here, I'm surprised many of you can fit your heads into your helmets! I've been a passenger around a track with Simon driving & also had some tuition from him. I've been on track with many of the usual VX trackers over the years. Quite frankly boys, he pedals a car better than any of us. Given he was in a standard NA (which I have also driven) how can you even compare your times with his? I'm pretty sure I'd go a bit quicker than him in my SC car around a track with him in the standard NA. However, if we were to swap cars, he would be far, far quicker than me. I'm also sure that if he drove any of your cars, he'd make you look average & slow. Put it into perspective boys & get over your lack of skill. Max

#85 J13ME

J13ME

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, cars that are faster than bikes!

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

What have I started here. :0

#86 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

! I've been a passenger around a track with Simon driving & also had some tuition from him. I've been on track with many of the usual VX trackers over the years. Quite frankly boys, he pedals a car better than any of us. Given he was in a standard NA (which I have also driven) how can you even compare your times with his?  

Which makes this comment by scuffers.....

My point is that you don't need that much of a VX to win club class. Realistically, a well setup VX with ~200+ hp should cut it...

a little disingenuous. Scuffers is either a little too modest or has a lack of understanding of the skills of an average VX owner.

#87 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Paul, I think Simon means he could win club class in a 200BHP VX, I needed 300 BHP.

What you need more than anything else as Simon will testify to is reliability.

#88 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

I dont believe even simon could win with only 200hp in a vx.. But thats just my opinion.. Out of interest, what tyres were you using on the na simon?

#89 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

Just as well I don't enter in my MX5.  You guys just shouldn't bother turning up then.  :tt:

#90 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Kumhos AFAIK. Not V70's...

#91 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

lobs hand grenade , exits thread

#92 Matthew Bentley Racing Ltd

Matthew Bentley Racing Ltd

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Was interested in times so had a look on TSL. Only circuit layout that is the same is Cadwell. Both 2013 race/final times.  

A basic 150bhp Lotus Elise Trophy car on Avon ZZR's did a 1.39.153 with an non-pro driver.

The fastest club class time attack car was Phil Reed in an 800bhp Evo he did a 1.35.060.

Darron did a 1.47.863.

So I guess that maby with 200bhp, a wing and splitter you could win with a good driver.

#93 Matthew Bentley Racing Ltd

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Found one more. Oulton Park.

150bhp Elise  - 1.56.6

Time attack best - Chris Bennett Impreza - 1.53.1

Darron - 1.57.1

270bhp Lotus 2-11 - 1.49.3

#94 J13ME

J13ME

• PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, cars that are faster than bikes!

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Some of the Elise Trophy drivers are seriously skilled though! I'm going to have stage 2 for a few months while it's still warm, try it on the uk circuits and set some times. Will go have the stage 3 done end of the year and try again on same circuits and see how times compare. If the extra power proves to be slowing me down on exits due to extra power it will pull the power back a bit and still have the internals for reassurance. If I get on well with the power on track then can consider stage 4. Can't wait to get it on track!

#95 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Paul, I think Simon means he could win club class in a 200BHP VX, I needed 300 BHP.

What you need more than anything else as Simon will testify to is reliability.

exactly.

the fact you managed a 1:30 with your what? ~350hp VX kind of makes the point, losing 150Hp would not cost you 7 seconds.

one of the big problems in all this is people can buy power, the problem with that is with more power, their driving usually get's worse as they can just use the power to make up for lack of exit speed, plus they then start to get chicken with the throttle in anything other than a straight line (turbo drivers excepted as with the shite throttle response I can 100% understand this is far from easy!)

personally, if you want to improve your driving, it's a lot easier to learn when you don't have a shed load of power that your scared to deploy mid-corner.

as for me, well, obviously I am not a complete donkey driver, however, I am far from a driving god, having raced against so truly great professionals, I know where my place is, and it's not waiting for the phone to ring from Ferrari or the like!

#96 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

....I know where my place is, and it's not waiting for the phone to ring from Ferrari or the like!

Caterham F1? 

#97 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

F1 is obsessed with youth though, you have to be 19 or willing to pay £1M+ for your seat or both these days.

#98 Matthew Bentley Racing Ltd

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

....I know where my place is, and it's not waiting for the phone to ring from Ferrari or the like!

Caterham F1? 

Ridiculous suggestion...................at best Marussia........

#99 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Was interested in times so had a look on TSL. Only circuit layout that is the same is Cadwell. Both 2013 race/final times.     A basic 150bhp Lotus Elise Trophy car on Avon ZZR's did a 1.39.153 with an non-pro driver. The fastest club class time attack car was Phil Reed in an 800bhp Evo he did a 1.35.060. Darron did a 1.47.863.   So I guess that maby with 200bhp, a wing and splitter you could win with a good driver.  

Interesting. At blyton park (with a 13st passenger) my pb was a 1'11.5ish, with a theoretical 1'10.8. I really dont think i am all that good a driver either but id be hard pressed to think that scuffs could beat me in a 200bhp vx. If we was to enter the ta in the same class, me in mine and scuffs in a 200ish bhp vx i couldnt see him beating me. No doubt he is a better driver but i cant see his extra skill being enough to actually overcome the power difference of mine. If we ask that theoretical question .. would scuffs in a 200ish bhp vx be able to beat randall in his europa chances are the answers would be no. Agree ? Randall in his europa did a 1'10.5 @ blyton.

#100 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

One way to find out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users