• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Hello from Barcelona!

We are going to be 3 stage2 supercharged speedsters here soon thanks to this site. :D

We are having some hot ambient temps these days (over 35Cdeeg) and we are worried about oil temperature.

In trackday use the oil gauge achieve 130Cdeeg.

Anyone who have installed an oil gauge in a Supercharged engine could tell us anything about this?

Thank you!

#2 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

I'm sure fez will be along shortly to give proper advice but 130 seems ok to me for a hot track day but you may want to ensure you're running good quality fully synthetic oil and could consider trying a 50w oil.

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,969 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Ouch. I've got an oil temp gauge fitted to my Stage 3 SC and have never seen anything over 110° even after the longest track sessions.

#4 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

Ouch. I've got an oil temp gauge fitted to my Stage 3 SC and have never seen anything over 110° even after the longest track sessions.

Wow... Have you fitted an oil radiator?

Could you tell me more or less your config?

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,969 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

Standard Laminova oil cooler and the dual ProAlloy rads. Oil temp measured in the sump, so may be different depending on where it's measured. Only other difference is an additional NACA duct in my undertray (so it has 3, similar to the turbo version). My car does seem to run cooler than lots of cars though. On the 200 mile drive up to The National a few weeks ago, it was running at 80° or less (sometimes off the bottom of the scale :o ) for almost the entire journey. Only climbed above that when we got stuck in traffic.

#6 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

We are also measuring it in the sump... We noticed when we are running without undertray the temps are cooler but not as cool as before stage 2. Any sugestion? One of us has just installed an oil radiator but hasn't done enough km to say anything.

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,969 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Any sugestion?

Probably not much help but maybe take up ice racing somewhere in the Arctic circle? :P

Maybe a larger Laminova cooler or traditional radiator type cooler is the only option for you guys. My temps seem to be so stable that I'm removing the gauge and just hooking the sensor up to the data logger.

Luckily, we don't generally have to deal with the same ambient temps that you guys have. Pretty sure if it was 35°C outside, I wouldn't be anywhere near the sweat box that is the VX and would be in something air conditioned instead.

#8 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Luckily, we don't generally have to deal with the same ambient temps that you guys have. Pretty sure if it was 35°C outside, I wouldn't be anywhere near the sweat box that is the VX and would be in something air conditioned instead.

In Spain is easy to die inside an VX220 if you drive more than 30min straight... it's really hot, you can't imagine. Hope find a solution to our temps, if something works for us it will work anywhere!

#9 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Any problems with your water temps too?? As the VX oil is cooled by the return water from the radiator, this should have some capacity...

(Thinking about this, can it be that "this spring loaded stopper" inside the filter housing is malfuctioning and so bypassing the oil cooler?)

#10 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Water reaches 102-103Cdeg easily in a trackday. I can't go into the city.

My friend have installed a radiatior instead of the original heat exchanger with a thermostate at 80Cdeg. The oil doesn't go through the radiator until it's above 80 Deg. Then it starts cooling the oil.

First tests shows temps up to 120Cdeg but he is not happy yet. (Water is still 102Cdeg.)

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

B# 7222

• 26,643 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

if you double the power, then you double the amount of reject heat , of which this heat goes into your water jacket and oil.

#12 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I can imagine Spain can be mental hot for a car sitting in traffic, quite a problem to keep them running at sensible temps I am sure. Have you installed a switch to be able to pre-emptively turn the radiator fans on... this will help.

#13 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Well, we are on dutch software, the fan start at 97Cdeg

#14 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

What chargecooler rad did you install? The big PA syle underneath the water rad?

This blocks flow through the main rad and I've seen modifications (Think on the Europa racecar) to improve flow to the rads (guides airscoop in the crashbox ) and/or through the charge-rad to improve watercooling. (remove cooling fins at even spaces from the chargerad to improve airflow)

#15 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

What chargecooler rad did you install? The big PA syle underneath the water rad?

This blocks flow through the main rad and I've seen modifications (Think on the Europa racecar) to improve flow to the rads (guides airscoop in the crashbox ) and/or through the charge-rad to improve watercooling. (remove cooling fins at even spaces from the chargerad to improve airflow)

Now we are using a 25 row and 310mm long Setrab radiator in front for the chargecooler.

We are using only one fan because we think that two fans could restrict the air through the radiator at high speeds.

#16 slindborg

slindborg

Crow of the Land

• 22,605 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I always thought 110 was good and anything over that was bad for oil.... Rock on being proved wrong :lol:

#17 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Meh, oil doesn't really start coking until about 180-200.

#18 slindborg

slindborg

Crow of the Land

• 22,605 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Interesting

#19 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

Meh, oil doesn't really start coking until about 180-200.

We'll tell you during the summer. Hahaha So we have to worry about head gasket.

#20 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,629 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

So we have to worry about head gasket.

My stack said 130 water temp when that went.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, temperatures, supercharged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users