• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

So we have to worry about head gasket.  

My stack said 130 water temp when that went.

Wow! I've seen 107Cdeg on mine. And have you bent the head also? I bent a head time ago and the fix had been expensive...

#22 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,629 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

I put in a B207 and never looked back at the old girl.

#23 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Wow! I've seen 107Cdeg on mine. And have you bent the head also? I bent a head time ago and the fix had been expensive...

Hopegreen - do you generally see high water temps on track too?

I took my stage 2 SC on track for the first time yesterday and the ambient temperature was just over 30 degrees (very hot for the UK!). My water temp wasn't really dropping under 98 and after around 15 minutes of hard laps it was climbing up to 105 - forcing me to back off and let it cool..

Do you see the same?

#24 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

I found the same last year at Zandvoort which was pretty toasty. Think trying to keep up with MartinS and DaveE also has s lot to do with it :)

#25 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hopegreen - do you generally see high water temps on track too?   I took my stage 2 SC on track for the first time yesterday and the ambient temperature was just over 30 degrees (very hot for the UK!). My water temp wasn't really dropping under 98 and after around 15 minutes of hard laps it was climbing up to 105 - forcing me to back off and let it cool..   Do you see the same?

I see temps of 102-103 all the time but it depends on the circuit. I avoid small circuits due to water temps.

#26 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I used to have the same on my old z22se which I put down to water pump rather than anything else, I was going to change water pump but I put a b207 in instead Since the b207 went in cruising temps are never more than 85 and only seen over 100 on track once after around 40 mins of spirited driving

#27 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Also have you read steve I am thread http://www.vx220.org...t/#entry1714908

#28 Hopegreen

Hopegreen

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

My coolant is new, it only has 4000km (since stage 2) and it looks like new. For more information, bought my car with 56000km, now is arround 69000km. I changed oil three times since then. I updated the timing chain at the same time as I was installing stage2. No signs of wear seen.

#29 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hmm. These high water temps reported here making me think I maybe don't have massive issue after all. Except oil in my coolant. At croft national I was getting 100 to 103 on track after 6 or 7 hard laps. I thought this indicated a problem. I dunno now, perhaps not.

#30 slindborg

slindborg

Crow of the Land

• 22,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

That's totally normal. People need to calm the hell down about the temperature numbers. Normal running for both engines should be at least 85deg or ideally 90-95, giving it stick and 10+ is totally understandable and fine.

#31 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

That may well be the case but I'd be happier if it sat at or below 100. I'm fairly certain it would have carried on climbing above 106 if I hadn't eased off. On a longer track (that's not rammed with cars and in a natural bowl that traps the heat) I'm sure mine would be fine but it'd be nice if it had some spare capacity in the system. I might start by trying to get more air in and around the engine bay by adding some cut-outs in the under tray. It's free, easy and reflects what lotus did on the turbo.

#32 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

my st2 SC just sits at 100c all day long on track, if I have been out for 10, 20 or 30 min...

#33 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

If you are adding cut outs put the NACA ducts in. I think they are only a few quid from lotus.

#34 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Taking the rear trays off and the rear wheel arches will help a hell of a lot. I've done this and some another cooling mod and rarely see temps over 102 degrees and never over 105. On the VXT (and I expect you can do similar on the 2.2) a couple of people add an extra oil cooler radiator, maybe you could do this too ?

Edited by Nev, 27 July 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#35 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Taking the rear trays off and the rear wheel arches will help a hell of a lot. I've done this and some another cooling mod and rarely see temps over 102 degrees and never over 105. On the VXT (and I expect you can do similar on the 2.2) a couple of people add an extra oil cooler radiator, maybe you could do this too ?

have you tracked yours yet Nev?

#36 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Nope, though I'm sure that would make it hotter if I kept my foot down.

#37 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,556 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

Nope, though I'm sure that would make it hotter if I kept my foot down.
I think it would melt on track but it would be a good few laps

#38 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

running temps of 102'c on a road car is HOT

unless that is just peek?

#39 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

Water reaches 102-103Cdeg easily in a trackday. I can't go into the city.   My friend have installed a radiatior instead of the original heat exchanger with a thermostate at 80Cdeg. The oil doesn't go through the radiator until it's above 80 Deg. Then it starts cooling the oil.   First tests shows temps up to 120Cdeg but he is not happy yet. (Water is still 102Cdeg.)

Hopegreen, just picking up on this. Did your friend get good results with the oil rad? Any pictures of where he fitted it? Thx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, temperatures, supercharged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users