• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

That low is making the handling worse not better according to people that know better than me. I use the chassis at the rear of the front wheel arch and the under tray as close as possible to the chassis at the front of the rear arch (not perfect but close enough). I would have thought at those heights you would have very little bump travel in the suspension?

#22 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

Recomended is 120mm front, 130mm rear

By who?

#23 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

Whats standard height? 140/140

#24 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

Anything lower than 140f/140r will make handling worse unless you buy or make expensive bits. I have no idea why you run at such a low setting Martin, but I would seriously consider raising your ride height and then get your toe in settings adjusted (which is easy and cheap to do). You will notice a huge improvement, particularly on bumpy surfaces. Setting the toe in on the front and rear can be easily DIY'ed, just look on YouTube to see how.

Edited by Nev, 19 September 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#25 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Anything lower than 140f/140r will make handling worse unless you buy or make expensive bits. I have no idea why you run at such a low setting Martin, but I would seriously consider raising your ride height and then get your toe in settings adjusted (which is easy and cheap to do). You will notice a huge improvement, particularly on bumpy surfaces.  

Because the VX looks stupid on tds if you don't lower it ?

Your car handles great. People have told you it handles great.

If you sacrifice a -bit- of handling because of that low ride (you might not even be able to tell?), there will still always be somebody else with a stupidly low car of similar spec you can have fun on track with (me for a start!)  chinky chinky

#26 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:22 AM

Anything lower than 140f/140r will make handling worse unless you buy or make expensive bits. I have no idea why you run at such a low setting Martin, but I would seriously consider raising your ride height and then get your toe in settings adjusted (which is easy and cheap to do). You will notice a huge improvement, particularly on bumpy surfaces. Setting the toe in on the front and rear can be easily DIY'ed, just look on YouTube to see how.

If you have seen Martins car on track you will know it handles very well, theres not much that can keep with him on track. I would imagine Martin is also happy with how it is on the road given that he has been using it for years on the road too. Also I do not recall noticing that it looks too low, pretty much the same as most other VX's used regularly on track.

Edited by P11 COV, 20 September 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#27 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:32 AM

If you have seen Martins car on track you will know it handles very well, theres not much that can keep with him on track. I would imagine Martin is also happy with how it is on the road given that he has been using it for years on the road too. Also I do not recall noticing that it looks too low, pretty much the same as most other VX's used regularly on track.
Same here, got photos of it somewhere from track sessions, looked same height as most

#28 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

Anything lower than 140f/140r will make handling worse unless you buy or make expensive bits.  

What bits?

#29 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Id say Martins was lower than many but I wont disagree with him being very quick on track.

#30 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Uprights

#31 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Uprights

I must have a magic VX then  :D

#32 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

Uprights

Benny's magic touch

#33 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

Uprights

Jez and Bennys magic touch

EFA

Dynamo and his lovely assistant

#34 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

Anything lower than 140f/140r will make handling worse unless you buy or make expensive bits.

What bits?

Things like new (off the shelf) uprights with raised hub centres, different steering arms to reduce the bump steer, spacers at the bottom of new longer lower ball joints to raise the roll centres back up. Or, if you have the software/knowledge how to calculate what you desire from and fabricator who can do it at a good price, you could design and fab new wishbones with different uprights entirely - there are a couple of VX'es like this as you'd need a lot of money, so not really applicable for most people I suspect.

#35 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

The ride height was set up by back on track along time ago and then by Cliffie when the gaz monos went on, but he set it up the height it had been, so its been this way for at least 6 years.

I don't think it looks particularly low compared with others. Sure it touches down a bit but we don't have that many speed humps round here so generally not a problem.

The car has always seemed  to handle pretty well, and thanks for the compliments on the car being quick, whats interesting was all the people complimenting me and the car are the buggers that are generally quicker than me (maybe its a ploy).

Will see how it is in action at Snetterton tomorrow.

Martin S

#36 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

The ride height was set up by back on track along time ago 

Martin S

And Jez will have set it lower than 140/140 but then again WTF does he know  :D

#37 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

Mine is set at 123mm front. On std wheels if I went down to 95mm front the top of the tyre would be hidden in the arch. This is just to give you a visual reference for comparison.

#38 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

Did you change ride heights Martin when you had your new wheels 17s all round ??

#39 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

No change when I had the 17's all round, but they were gone within two weeks and I was back on my 17 and 16 combo.

Martin S

#40 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

verdict on the 17" all round then ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users